All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

I don’t wish to appear rude but is there any chance of some punctuation?I cannot follow some of the posts on here.
  3. Alloy wheel repair

Most tyre companies around these parts have the machines to straighten them, from memory about £35 a wheel.
  4. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

Both. Annual fee and a buyers fee. It’s nota lot though.
  5. Today
  6. Best wishes Lucas hope you find something soon .. may I take a moment to wish you all the best in the future .
  7. Yesterday
  8. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

Sorry for the long post and sorry slightly off topic with regards to dealer auctions I've never personally used it buying from bca mainheim and a few trade contacts and a friend in the trade with access to buy ex lease cars who will sell some on to me for a little drink I'm thinking more with regards to dealer principals as I've seen a few stories here about them during collections when you guys have bought from dealer auction Another story/experience I remember was a few years back dad was looking for car had seen a local guy selling ahis private dad seen and and like itbut missed the boat and the guy ended up trading it in to a main dealer a couple of days beforetold me where and i went to the main dealer forecourt to view it they had about £700 mark up on it but it was under cap retail was coming fullyvaleted an oil service12 months test and i managed some tax and half a tank of fuel as well as some alloy caps that were missing replacedworked into the deal so was happy and thinks to my self they probably only made £500 profit on the trade in for a quick turn says, i knew the previous owner etc was main reason for being interestedmain dealer principal says you will know what we payed for the car then . We are not making much which to be fair he wasn't but obv made a margin on the new car he sold towhen we were haggling £50 on the trade in was trading in a £400 banger tht dad had for 9 years was something like £800 cap clean at the timecar drove ok for what it was was 11 years old with 100 k miles but the problemgearbox was a bit noisy when driving had been for a while but thinks to myself it probably a grand maybe £1200 to sell retail looks autotrader seems there doing £1200do i really need the comeback to which the answer was no and didn't think it was worth the repair cost as had some poor paint etc you get the picturebut i agree to mot it for 12 months and get it fully valeted cause the sales girl was really lovely and nice to chat to etc couldn't do enough enough to help the car passed with minimal work from memory an anti roll bar link etc usual sort of stuff was actually my first time at a new local test station as it happens drops it off we are all happy she thanks me for valeting it testingit etc i give her the fsh 2 keys etc we are all happy I'm in the auction evening sales at bca a week orso later in comes the old.px says to a fellow trader what you think it will make we both think £600-650 does a £1100 in the ring another trader local bought it sold it for £1995 brave trader unless of course he repaired it Anyway I'm in the dealership few weeks later for some small warranty issues i says to the dealer principal as we are casually chatting had already told him buying the car i worked in car sales not in Iwork in the trade kind of way as we have seen he actually asked what i did in conversation was actually an alrightguy asked how business was etc i said to him was glad to see you got turn on the trade in seen it at auction the other week to which he reply's we had to spent money on it getting it up to scratch i said aww ok and moves on to talking about something else the sales girl calls me over for a juice and a chat the dealer principal goes on his wayAnd gets chatting she says the dealer principal was happy you valeted and moted the trade in carand handed in the full service history we sent it to auction last week says to her i actually happened to see it go through she says you will see what it made then my boss was so happy and surprisedwith the profit on it do you know we never had to spend a penny on it you got to laugh i don't grudge them the profit everyone was happy with deal got rid of it no headache for me dad happy with new car at the time and not going to cause family falls out etc if it went wrongbut surely all his answer had to be was something along the lines of yes we did i was surprised or something
  9. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

I am not overly familiar with da, it’s not a platform I have used. Is it just a case of registering or is there a subscription fee etc?
  10. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

Agreed Tom I remember going for an interview/ chat for a sales job at a main dealer years ago thought at the time itwould be an experience when he asked my experience and i told him at time I've about 15 years experience in used cars sales as an independent also been aself employed buyer and seller over the years for around4 independent used car and van dealers and also been employed by a local garage and an independent dealer he proceeds to snigger and say oh not another one who has been buying and selling in a trade environment i proceed to answer with surely if joe and mildred come inhere one Saturdayto buy a 7k corsa your half way there thereyou have your. Customer and captive audience and and if therein a main dealers theres a good chancethere car shoppingthey wouldn't be in the door hereif they knew and had the expertisetobuy the same carcheaper in a trade environment as you put it . I then says by the way as an independent i have to buy cars sell car prepare cars find people to do this price them accordinglyand then advertise and go find my buyer and deals with the any come backs so much harder Being an independent i would have though never got the job then he says oh and you should have wore a tie i said had it been an interview i would have and not a chat as you put it ask him was he always inThe car trade he says no doulble glazing sales for yearsand i got upand left like you say he looked at me as though i was something he stood inthe fulltime .
  11. Thanks for the reply TomInormally do a combination of both as I findit helps the plate stay flat as I've seen them bevel out slightly over time so the tape or pads prevent this and then Istick some screws injust got me thinking today what the best way was when the guy I was fitting them for said he would prefer no screws as it looks much nicer was what he said but as you say and I also agreethe screws add to security both from general driving and not fear of frost etc getting to the tapeand guess it makestheft harder though I've not really heard much of that in my area .
  12. July, how’s it going

I had an old boy come in and look at a Ford B Max and said he was dissapointed it didnt have 7 seats.
  13. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

I hate main dealers with a passion they look down theirnosesat used car dealers like we are all gypos. I seldom buy anything on there tbh I'd rather payabit more from BCA.
  14. I prefer to screw them on tbh as ive seen number plates on the forecourt in the past especially in the winter where the double sided tape has given up.
  15. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

Ahh, the memories of DA. Years ago, I was banned from a Honda dealer over a crock of shite I rejected, not unusual even back then. But, the DP decided to try and have a stand up row in front of house with customers milling around the show room telling me I "HAD TO BUY IT WITH ALL THE FUCKING FAULTS" ...guy was really exploding, not very professional. I was being uber cool and trying to do my level best not to wet my self as he grew redder and redder with arms flapping like windmill, all this in front of the usual Honda silver haired walk ins and those with cars in for service. ... one of the funniest events in my life, the guy in meltdown all over a 3k Golf diesel turbo that sounded like a bag of spanners, with a top speed of 20 mph and smoking like a Routemaster on a cold start, siiting out the front of the showroom with the whole site in a cloud of blue smoke as it tried to idle. Unfortunately it ended badly as the DP called me "fucking peasant" under his breath just as I walked out the door, resulting in a Honda DP being pinned against a wall in full view of his staff and civilians until he begged forgiveness.....maybe I deserved a ban afterall From what I heard the guy got sacked a year or so later for the usual stunt of creaming back handers on the choppers and, the staff were glad to see the back of the idiot. I know lots of colleagues banned from certain venders, with one thing in common. The vendors are sharks, those banned being proper dealers.
  16. New here, saying hello!

Welcome and good luck! You sound positive, which is always great.
  17. Written off car MOT

And as you said it unfortunate but i guess they never will .
  18. One ofTodays job was changing some number plates on a car was actually me that fitted the previous onesbut the guy wanted some fancy 3d ones when Ifitted the previous set Iused both green double sided tapeand some plastic poly top screws which is my usual way some times replace the tape for foams pads or use screwcaps etcdepends whats kicking about the place but normally used two methods offitting and I like this method on my stuff Got the front off fairlyeasybut getting the rear off was a struggle one off the hardest one I've had and I've changed a few sets in my time eventuallygot it with a hairdryer and gentle pry what do you guys use to remove the stuck on ones ..seen some suggest dental floss etc on other forums on refitting Iused some foam number plate pads from a caravan accessory shop that seem to have done the job only usedthem as was passing when needing some usual get rolls of tape from the factorbut always open to suggestionswhat do you guys recommend forsticking them on or you think your better to screw on I've seen people even use velcro pads I used a hair dryer and some glue and tar remover to remove the sticky residue any other ideas . hope you all having a good busyweekendand thank you
  19. Written off car MOT

you are asking for vosa and dvla to work together, they just will not, and never have done unfortunatley.
  20. New here, saying hello!

Hello Good luck wish you all the best .
  21. July, how’s it going

phone call this aft from a "we have a few more to look at" viewing this morning . "hello, you've still got that car that we viewed this morning i hope, be in at 9 monday with a depo, donot sell it " And this is a guy who has bought from me before, you try telling them, do they listen ? no
  22. New here, saying hello!

seriously though, all the best
  23. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

Seems like I've let them off lightly. In fact, how many of you are banned from certain dealers on DA? Im currently on a ban from BCC in Bolton (name drop, not really bothered as I found them a shower of shite). A wasted 800 mile round trip a couple of years back to collect a 2010 Clio Estate, sorry, builders van. It was a shed, stinking of fags, head-lining damaged, seat damaged, it needed a new interior and was described as being in "nice condition". After inspecting it I strolled back in, dropped keys on the desk told him I what I thought and then left. Didn't even wait for an answer so they banned me. I couldn't give a toss as when I see their listings, I just think, probably another piece of crap. I did also get banned from a dealer in Somerset which was a bit more annoying as at the time it was the closest dealer on DA to me! Then, after a couple of years and without asking, I got reinstated. No idea why!
  24. New here, saying hello!

Accountant, VAT, notify inland revenue, Be legit
  25. Dealer Auction - Any better now?

They were acquired by Cox Automotive (own Manheim)a while back. Cox also owned Motors until recently so maybe DA could get sold on again. Wasn't there some time up between DA and AT happening or did I dream it?
  26. Hi all, I have just joined and popping by the general forum to say hello. I am just in the process of setting up as a trader. Having done a lot of research, there is still a lot more to do but I am confident in what I am learning. This forum seems to have a great vibe and I look forward to collaborating with you all. -- If you are interested, I am based in SW London and plan on buy cars around the 3-6k mark, hoping to flip within a couple of weeks of purchasing. Still trying to do analysis on this approach etc. Cheers
  1. Load more activity