Sign in to follow this  
tradex

hourly rates at garages

1 hour ago, BHM said:

£75p.h.!?!!! £50p.h.!?!!! Fuck me, up north even retail punters don’t pay that at independent garages. This is clearly a North/South divide type thing. 

The last time I saw an invoice in a p/x from the local Vauxhall MAIN DEALER it was about £60p.h. (I think that was with VAT but I could be mistaken). I will concede though the punter had been royally shafted over the parts prices. 

I have been quoted today £329 for a set of pads n discs on a 2014 C250 Estate. 

Words will be had on this subject and the hourly rate. 

Have you seen the price of them discs, (decent brand not chinese wobblers), personally that Car is on the borderline MY where I might consider fitting genuine Parts, if not it'd be Genuine Mintex !! Also I expect he is doing the job properly with fitting kit and work as below etc etc ;)

A decent mechanic will work pistons back and fort a couple of times, clean up sliders and lube, also clean rust of the pad locations in carriers so they slide nice, and then use Coppaslip on the contact points. The brakes will then last a long while and pull up really evenly. 1 to 2 hrs on a grotty one.

BTW, remember everything we see up here is minging with rust underneath after 3 years of Salt ;)  So yeah, location makes a difference for more than 1 reason

Any old Tom Dick and Harry can snap off and leave the disc retaining bolts, chuck the discs on and bash a set of pads into rusty and tight carriers in a 3/4 hour !!

Believe me, I see it all up here from the £30 p/h (and more) brigade.

I couldn't run my Workshop on that sort of money and draw a wage. A mechanic with his own Workshop is not earning £xxx per hr ............... Heating, Lighting, (Rent / Mortgage / Building maintenance ?), Rates, Trade Plates, Equipment (Lift Compressor etc) Maintenance, Consumables, Van / Recovery Truck, Phone, Leccy, New Tools and Equipment to move with new Cars etc etc etc etc

And if we are talking Kerbside, or Homers here wait till his phone rings, and he forgets to tighten them Caliper Carrier Bolts that he's just run up with his fingers, and 3 weeks later the Car crashes ............. Whos gonna pay for that ?? Especially if someone gets hurt :( It's all rosy until something goes wrong ;) 

You get's what you pay for. 

Edited by Dave2302

10 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Have you seen the price of them discs, (decent brand not chinese wobblers), personally that Car is on the borderline MY where I might consider fitting genuine Parts, if not it'd be Genuine Mintex !! Also I expect he is doing the job properly with fitting kit and work as below etc etc ;)

A decent mechanic will work pistons back and fort a couple of times, clean up sliders and lube, also clean rust of the pad locations in carriers so they slide nice, and then use Coppaslip on the contact points. The brakes will then last a long while and pull up really evenly. 1 to 2 hrs on a grotty one.

BTW, remember everything we see up here is minging with rust underneath after 3 years of Salt ;)  So yeah, location makes a difference for more than 1 reason

Any old Tom Dick and Harry can snap off and leave the disc retaining bolts, chuck the discs on and bash a set of pads into rusty and tight carriers in a 3/4 hour !!

Believe me, I see it all up here from the £30 p/h (and more) brigade.

I couldn't run my Workshop on that sort of money and draw a wage. A mechanic with his own Workshop is not earning £xxx per hr ............... Heating, Lighting, (Rent / Mortgage / Building maintenance ?), Rates, Trade Plates, Equipment (Lift Compressor etc) Maintenance, Consumables, Van / Recovery Truck, Phone, Leccy, New Tools and Equipment to move with new Cars etc etc etc etc

And if we are talking Kerbside, or Homers here wait till his phone rings, and he forgets to tighten them Caliper Carrier Bolts that he's just run up with his fingers, and 3 weeks later the Car crashes ............. Whos gonna pay for that ?? Especially if someone gets hurt :( It's all rosy until something goes wrong ;) 

You get's what you pay for. 

I don’t disagree with that last sentiment but if you think £329 is a fair price for pads n discs to a trade customer who pushes all his work on said garage we won’t ever agree. 

Eicher discs and pagid pads come to £120 off euros (retail prices) and two hours work is what £250? Max? 

Apologies then ;) fair play to your homework, my bad.

I was quick guesstimating the parts, based on a very late E Class wagon I did last week, (monster vented discs), and genuine MB price, so fair do's, if you came to me it'd be 1 to 2 hrs trade rate, plus parts, and personally on that age I'd have given the choice of Mintex Discs / Pads and Fitting Kit if not OEM ;)

I don't use the Brands you list,  not slagging them as I don't know them, but there are a lot of what used to be good brands out there that are now Chinesium, with poor QC and all the aggro that goes with that :(

A lot of my work is very high monthly mileage fleet vehicles, we have tried cheaper parts which literally last 3 months, fair enough they give you another one, but then you are changing that in 3 months too, e.g. Sprinter Ball Joints I use OEM (Febi Bilstien, Lemfoerder etc etc) or mfr OE on 3 to 5 yr old, customers choice ;)

Cheers Dave

Edited by Dave2302

11 minutes ago, EPV said:

Eicher discs and pagid pads come to £120 off euros

My C220 is 64 reg (W205) and amazingly Euros don't do the discs, I did buy them from Merc at around £50 each which I thought was OK. 

2 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Apologies then ;) fair play to your homework, my bad.

I was quick guesstimating the parts, based on a very late E Class wagon I did last week, (monster vented discs), and genuine MB price, so fair do's, if you came to me it'd be 1 to 2 hrs trade rate, plus parts, and personally on that age I'd have given the choice of Mintex Discs / Pads and Fitting Kit if not OEM ;)

I don't use the Brands you list,  not slagging them as I don't know them, but there are a lot of what used to be good brands out there that are now Chinesium, with poor QC and all the aggro that goes with that :(

A lot of my work is very high monthly mileage fleet vehicles, we have tried cheaper parts which literally last 3 months, fair enough they give you another one, but then you are changing that in 3 months too, e.g. Sprinter Ball Joints I use OEM (Febi Bilstien, Lemfoerder etc etc) or mfr OE on 3 to 5 yr old, customers choice ;)

Cheers Dave

OEM parts are all well and good for your situation but i’m retailing used £5-£11k vehicles. I want reasonable prices with reasonable parts that meet UK safety standards and do not compromise on that front. 

If i was retailing year old M4’s and C63 amgs i’d expect OEM parts and prices 

Have any of you worked out the costs over a months surly it would be cheaper to employ someone we did years ago and never looked back, its an extra pair of hands,

we do some close mates work in the trade but do very little retail but enough to cover his wage between them both so his work on our cars is free.

• Like 1

Yes, LIKE all the above

Nick, MB can sometimes surprise you on certain parts / models especially if you can screw a decent trade Price on "stock" order and wait a couple of days ;)

EPV, yeah agreed.

justina3, That works very well for you and I can see the advantages, especially once you have got a decent mechanic, preferably these days with a degree in electronics and computer programming :D

Cheers Dave

7 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Have any of you worked out the costs over a months surly it would be cheaper to employ someone we did years ago and never looked back, its an extra pair of hands,

we do some close mates work in the trade but do very little retail but enough to cover his wage between them both so his work on our cars is free.

I’m nowhere near that level but I would like to aim for a full time spanner and painter. 

1 hour ago, EPV said:

I have been quoted today £329 for a set of pads n discs on a 2014 C250 Estate. 

Words will be had on this subject and the hourly rate. 

I took on a mechanic before I paid myself a penny from the car sales business.  Never looked back. They are a different breed if  you are not used to them. 

You kind of just get grunted at and end up locking them in the workshop and throw them a packet of ham at feeding time :lol:

21 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I took on a mechanic before I paid myself a penny from the car sales business.  Never looked back. They are a different breed if  you are not used to them. 

You kind of just get grunted at and end up locking them in the workshop and throw them a packet of ham at feeding time :lol:

And there in is the rub................. Would you know where to look to find a fault and fix it..? A different breed indeed.

Price reduced to £250 using pagid pads and discs which is exactly what I priced up. Probably still £50 too dear but sensible enough money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Yes, LIKE all the above

Nick, MB can sometimes surprise you on certain parts / models especially if you can screw a decent trade Price on "stock" order and wait a couple of days ;)

EPV, yeah agreed.

justina3, That works very well for you and I can see the advantages, especially once you have got a decent mechanic, preferably these days with a degree in electronics and computer programming :D

Cheers Dave

Nope we stick to cars we know and not to new in the year so we are around 2007-2011 bracket so dont need electronics and a pc nurd just yet if anything he is very old school and will take things apart and fix them instead of just ordering new, we repair our own gear boxes now so on he hunt for Puntos with mashed boxes we make a great mark up on them.

I find euro very poor on parts they cant match anything right these days my account this month had almost as many credits/ returns as it did purchases we use a small indy who are great for parts a few pound more but always almost seem to get it right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Nope we stick to cars we know and not to new in the year so we are around 2007-2011 bracket so dont need electronics and a pc nurd just yet if anything he is very old school and will take things apart and fix them instead of just ordering new, we repair our own gear boxes now so on he hunt for Puntos with mashed boxes we make a great mark up on them.

I find euro very poor on parts they cant match anything right these days my account this month had almost as many credits/ returns as it did purchases we use a small indy who are great for parts a few pound more but always almost seem to get it right. 

Adding value I call that.... its where the cash is............. :)

15 hours ago, grant8064 said:

We're based near Brighton. Location has a massive influence on costs.

Three garages used.

1 does servicing, MOT's and silly easy jobs because they're a bit hopeless - £45 p/h

2 does simple warranty stuff, PDI's and servicing - £30 p/h

3 does all the awkward stuff, fault finding, big jobs, MOT's, servicing, diaogs...one guy there is the absolute nuts and really enjoys getting to the bottom of an issue, he's invaluable - £60 p/h

Our stocks a lot more expensive than like for like in the Midlands but then so are our running costs. It's all relative.

We're near Brighton too - good to see we're paying similar prices!

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

I'd like to know what 07 -10 platers don't have electronics that are programmed / designed to sh!te themselves on Friday 13th June 20xx or 120k miles "whichever occurs sooner"...................... Punto's perhaps ??????? ;):lol: 

I've just Virginised a used BSI for an 04 Berlingo, one owner, mint with 50k miles, local old crofter fella bought it brand new, then it sh@t itself 2 weeks ago.

Going to program it on this 'arvo' with Lexia, without that knowledge it would have been Main Stealer in my location, and therefore repair cost would have written it off ;) He'll be happy to get his Van back for a sensible amount of money for both of us ;) 

Either that or your just lucky and or selling very low milers ;)

I love a dud Gearbox, I used to rebuild Auto's, spent 25 years in that game when I lived South, bought many a nice Car with FUBAR tranny and flipped it for a good margin ;)

Yes, I gave up with Euro and also Dingbro for that reason, and the latter myself and others were getting Invoiced for parts we never ordered or received :( 

Cheers Dave

Edited by Dave2302

50 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I'd like to know what 07 -10 platers don't have electronics that are programmed / designed to sh!te themselves on Friday 13th June 20xx or 120k miles "whichever occurs sooner"...................... Punto's perhaps ??????? ;):lol: 

I've just Virginised a used BSI for an 04 Berlingo, one owner, mint with 50k miles, local old crofter fella bought it brand new, then it sh@t itself 2 weeks ago.

Going to program it on this 'arvo' with Lexia, without that knowledge it would have been Main Stealer in my location, and therefore repair cost would have written it off ;) He'll be happy to get his Van back for a sensible amount of money for both of us ;) 

Either that or your just lucky and or selling very low milers ;)

I love a dud Gearbox, I used to rebuild Auto's, spent 25 years in that game when I lived South, bought many a nice Car with FUBAR tranny and flipped it for a good margin ;)

Yes, I gave up with Euro and also Dingbro for that reason, and the latter myself and others were getting Invoiced for parts we never ordered or received :( 

Cheers Dave

Must be the stock we purchase, but i can hand on heart say i have only ever had to have one control module programmed which was a clio after the blocked sunroof poured water over the module in dash, apart from that never needed anything programmed. 

I have a locksmith up the road if i need spare keys had a fiesta done this morning £65 if you mean that kind of work.

And i dont think we do ultra low mileage kit but we dont go above 80k

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

we dont go above 80k

That's sensible with anything these days, and that's why you're not getting trouble with Electronics, they either go bang in their youth or start acting up at 100k +

You're quite correct re water ingress, causes many an untimely Module demise :(  Fact is tho, these days more and more need Modules Coded to the Car with Dealer Level gear !!

Key Programming, some are easy some are a c*nt, some kit is better than others etc.

I'm getting grief with that Berlingo right now, had to walk away for a coffee, BSI is now recognised, a lot of stuff all working, VIN and Mileage is correct, but the bloody keys chips, (immo) wont write onto it, so eeeet eeees non startee right now:( 

LOL, that's the only Francais parle I know :lol:

Cap it all my one of my fleet owners's  BMW 5 Tourings just turned up on a truck, been over a raised Manhole, Fuel Tank ripped right outta the b*gger, welded nuts in chassis, the lot, and I'm still only halfway through the V12 Merc ABC that is patiently waiting up in the air with the rear subframe on trans jack :rolleyes:

On the up side I sold a 06 Mondeo Diesel last eve, guy picked it up and cashed me out a while ago :D  

Edited by Dave2302

47 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Key Programming, some are easy some are a c*nt, some kit is better than others etc.

You don't repair Mercedes keys (2009-2014ish) by any chance do you? 

I have two which don't work at all to the point where the cars don't even recognize them to turn the ignition. New batteries have not cured it. 

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

You don't repair Mercedes keys (2009-2014ish) by any chance do you? 

I have two which don't work at all to the point where the cars don't even recognize them to turn the ignition. New batteries have not cured it. 

I can't do MB keys postal I have to have the car to program them with SDS. The only guy I'd recommend is mark at :- http://www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-JvaBRDGARIsAFjqkkoyY5iplQB_-9hu0ERRPXJHa4MA9lkjb7lTU2-_i7jVBfjyXFY8kaUaApz9EALw_wcB

He's in Brum and he won't brick your car ;) He is about half Main Stealer Price. He may be able to repair your keys postal if you can satisfy him of ownership etc with some docs.

MB keys don't need Batteries for engine to start, the Batteries do the RF Central Locking, and the IR for Global Closing

HTH,

Cheers Dave

In reference to previous post my rates are the same setup as BHM. I pay per job, quoted prior to work beginning, regardless of how long it takes them. I've worked them out to be between £20-30 per hour, depending on what work they've got on! On the very odd occasion it's taken them alot longer than they expected and heaven's forbid it's been an extra £20. Set of pads changed for £15-20. A road spring £50 on average supply and fit. Belt change on a 1.6 astra would be £80 labour on a Golf 1.9 TDI £120. Typically selling 7-10 year + stuff.

7 hours ago, EPV said:

Price reduced to £250 using pagid pads and discs which is exactly what I priced up. Probably still £50 too dear but sensible enough money.

How much are the parts?

3 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

In reference to previous post my rates are the same setup as BHM. I pay per job, quoted prior to work beginning, regardless of how long it takes them. I've worked them out to be between £20-30 per hour, depending on what work they've got on! On the very odd occasion it's taken them alot longer than they expected and heaven's forbid it's been an extra £20. Set of pads changed for £15-20. A road spring £50 on average supply and fit. Belt change on a 1.6 astra would be £80 labour on a Golf 1.9 TDI £120. Typically selling 7-10 year + stuff.

How much are the parts?

£140 ish 

To the guys paying £20 - £35 p/h can I ask whereabouts you are based? I know there's a North/South divide but you're making me consider relocating!

• Like 1

I’m in Derby

We pay £35-£40 an hour labour for normal stuff. Brakes, suspension jobs etc. 

£29.95 an MOT

for anything difficult I know all local specialists for the cars we stock except Mazda so we use them and generally they are £60-£70 an hour but obviously worth it when required. 

• Like 1