Sign in to follow this  
Mo Whitethor

Number Plate Marketing

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one for show of hands, How many of you actually change the number plates of every car you take in stock just to have the company name on the car?

Do you guys also use stickers for the rear window or such?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes and yes

 

Number plates cost me £7 a pair and apart from the advertising I think a new set of plates lift the look of a car. Unlike window stickers the customer is unlikely to remove them.

Edited by David Ayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No and no. 

I detest window stickers and the company name on the number plate is so small no one can read it anyway. 

I cannot possibly imagine anyone looking for a car will notice such things. So if it’s not working as a marketing tool there’s little point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have some lovely bright and hard-to-remove window stickers which we put on every sold car.  It is a small pleasures I have when I'm driving about the town and see one of our stickers or number-plates on a car.  Half the time I don't even remember the car.  Old age.

The number-plates are the 'lipped' ones where the bottom of the plate has an extra portion for our name.  It's very clear and noticeable but not so prominent that it looks tacky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

We have some lovely bright and hard-to-remove window stickers which we put on every sold car. 

There was a local car supermarket that seemed to use the same type of sticker; 10 years later you’d still see their stickers in the back of stuff!

Plus one here for complete branding, plates, sticker and key ring, for the cost per unit why not have your name out there!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure any incremental business will come as a result of a little name on a number plate.

having said that, I normally put new plates on because they make the car look so much brighter.  I have just sent DVLA app off for permission to supply plates.

for £12 a set with my name on, it is a no brainier and adds that little bit of professionalism.  

Years down the line, it’s surprising how many you see about town.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks so much tidier with our company name on our number plates. Especially on the forecourt with all of our part ex's lined up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i used to put a british flag on the boot of all the ones i sold,they were very cheap from maccess,then i realised i was spending my inheritence so stopped,i get three uses out of the floor mats these days too:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, boring dave said:

i used to put a british flag on the boot of all the ones i sold,they were very cheap from maccess,then i realised i was spending my inheritence so stopped,i get three uses out of the floor mats these days too:D

Can I ask do you use Tetexpress since the demise of maccess? Thnx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, boring dave said:

i used to put a british flag on the boot of all the ones i sold,they were very cheap from maccess

Used to do that too; when the dent man used a drill as a last resort.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EPV said:

No and no. 

I detest window stickers and the company name on the number plate is so small no one can read it anyway. 

I cannot possibly imagine anyone looking for a car will notice such things. So if it’s not working as a marketing tool there’s little point 

Plates are important,Elite Performance Vehicles would look good on a plate especially to punters who are concerned that their neighbours will know where they purchased their car.

In the 90’s ,we sold ex Police patrol cars which were repainted and looked mint.We used to put main dealer plates on them because punters would lie to friends and neighbours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus H Christ, no need to remind them of our number when the ashtrays full and needs emptying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Plates are important,Elite Performance Vehicles would look good on a plate especially to punters who are concerned that their neighbours will know where they purchased their car.

In the 90’s ,we sold ex Police patrol cars which were repainted and looked mint.We used to put main dealer plates on them because punters would lie to friends and neighbours.

Honestly, if people are going to buy something to impress the neighbours then they will get something German and put a private plate on. The last thing they will want the Jones’ to know is it’s “preowned“ 

Each to their own but for me, it’s not creating new opportunities and therefore a waste. Putting new plates on however does lift the car’s appearance, no argument from me there. 

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I’m not sure any incremental business will come as a result of a little name on a number plate.

having said that, I normally put new plates on because they make the car look so much brighter.  I have just sent DVLA app off for permission to supply plates.

for £12 a set with my name on, it is a no brainier and adds that little bit of professionalism.  

Years down the line, it’s surprising how many you see about town.

I didn’t know you could do this, could you explain a little how that all works Mark? What are the set up costs etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EPV said:
2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

.

I didn’t know you could do this, could you explain a little how that all works Mark? What are the set up costs etc?

IIRC it is just a form to register at your local factors, not sure if there is any fee, did it years ago at my old firm, never bothered since moving up here.

I use an on line guy these days who does Road Legal and also illegal font / modded Private Plates, (for show use only :D), he has On Line plate constructor s/w and doesn't need all the paperwork bullshit, plates usually arrive next day in post !! I think he is Ireland based, but have no contact details apart from :-

https://www.fancyplates.com/

Don't bother trying the phone number, I've never got through ;) 

I've bought a few "arguable but dubious, slightly modded" private plates for my own fleet, like a U narrowed so it looks like a V in DAVE and another one with a 7 with the french style bar across it so it looks like an F :lol:     Not had any grief from cops, except once over the "french 7" and never bothered changing that plate after the bollocking, no grief since ;) 

Last one I bought for my Van was D15 KOE space narrowed, reads DISKOE ......................... All the locals call me "Disco Dave" as I gig local Parties, Weddings and Karaoke in Pubs / Halls etc as a hobby :rolleyes: ......................Yeah, I know, minds and little things and all that jazz :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EPV said:

No and no. 

I detest window stickers and the company name on the number plate is so small no one can read it anyway. 

I cannot possibly imagine anyone looking for a car will notice such things. So if it’s not working as a marketing tool there’s little point 

If a dealer cant put their name to their cars..... :D

 

We put them on every car we sell.... simply for looks and it helps when our customers return to spot them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it helps with bringing in additional prospects, it could help with bringing the same punter back a few years later as he/she's the only one that will see the company name on a regular basis

 

It used to be around 6 ten years ago, but nowadays with so many distractions (facetube, snapgram, junk marketing emails), research shows that someone has to have at least 15 exposures to a certain company before they are influenced enough to take action. 

So key rings, stickers, number plates etc. all combined, definitely helps cement the dealership's branding in the punters head, to joe public... I doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Can I ask do you use Tetexpress since the demise of maccess? Thnx

sorry never heard of them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Stalker said:

If a dealer cant put their name to their cars..... :D

 

We put them on every car we sell.... simply for looks and it helps when our customers return to spot them again.

For looks, I think is about right. Don't take offence those that do this and I didn't want to say it earlier but I think the plates, key rings, stickers, it's all vanity. I don't believe the outlay is paid for by business returns as the internet just makes the country a shoppers playground but perhaps 20 years ago, loyalty existed. These days I think people shop around more and the internet allows them to and if they can find a car £250 cheaper they will go and look at it and not even bother looking at yours.

Each to their own though, no doubt one day I'll indulge myself and brand meself up..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EPV said:

For looks, I think is about right. Don't take offence those that do this and I didn't want to say it earlier but I think the plates, key rings, stickers, it's all vanity. I don't believe the outlay is paid for by business returns as the internet just makes the country a shoppers playground but perhaps 20 years ago, loyalty existed. These days I think people shop around more and the internet allows them to and if they can find a car £250 cheaper they will go and look at it and not even bother looking at yours.

Each to their own though, no doubt one day I'll indulge myself and brand meself up..

At some stage,you will probably have a pitch and have all the promotional stuff !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, trade vet said:

At some stage,you will probably have a pitch and have all the promotional stuff !

Nailed on. 

Baloons and bunting. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was £40 one off fee.  The motor factor can then make my plates up and why not whilst we’re at it, add the company name.  You’re right James, it’s vanity but when I often change plates because the existing ones are tired, I thought I would just budget 12.99 to each car and at least lose all the crap Union Jack, Euro flag, welsh dragon stuff and promote? my business instead of the last supplying dealer.  Makes me at least proud to see one of my cars being used around town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tradex said:

Jesus H Christ, no need to remind them of our number when the ashtrays full and needs emptying. 

Like. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this