tradegirl

Auction states car is Cat S, HPI says clear

75 posts in this topic

Bought a car with light rear bumper and tailgate damage from auction. Auction states car is a Cat S. We've had it since 19th July and applied for a V5 as there was none to hand.

Done 2 HPI checks on the car this week and they've both come back clear.

Who's likely to be right? I don't want to cheat anyone, nor find myself in hot water should anything go wrong. But also if there's a slight profit margin in the car then why lose it?

It's only a £2k car, but as a write off it's only worth £1200 and it's cost me near that already.

We bought a Micra at the same time, same auction, applied for V5 and its V5 states that it's a write off. Nothing for this one though. Any ideas? Would it take that long to show on HPI?

Can take months for insurers to notify that is a CAT. We had one last year - a px which the customer said was a CAT D but the V5 was clear and HPI. We sold it as a CAT D and customer let me know 10 months later that they had received a new V5 with CAT D on it.

TG,

does anything go right for you? You seem to have a lot of bad luck! 

3 hours ago, tradegirl said:

We bought a Micra at the same time, same auction, applied for V5 and its V5 states that it's a write off. Nothing for this one though. Any ideas?

youve mixed cars up ! :lol:

18 minutes ago, EPV said:

TG,

or, doesn't listen ? [ pdi checks? ]

28 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

youve mixed cars up ! :lol:

or, doesn't listen ? [ pdi checks? ]

No they were both supposed to be Cat S. But the one shows as a write off on HPI and the one doesn't.

I bought them both knowingly as write offs. But my question is, how come the one is showing as clear? Is it a delay in the HPI updating or has the auction house made a mistake and it's actually clear?

51 minutes ago, EPV said:

TG,

Lol how so? If anything it's good luck! (Knowingly) buying a write off that's actually clear?? Bonus!

irrespective of whether it shoes as cat s on the hpi register or not, as a trader you are aware it is and as such you need to make sure on your receipt your buyer is too

Check the V5’s issue date ? Is it the most up to date V5 ? 

It could be on the Experian register. 

Irrespective of the V5 if it’s on the Vcar it’ll come up on the registration number.

Probably an auction mix-up in tradegirl’s favour. If it’s not ‘on the register’ then it’s not a write-off. Simple.

Advertise at a proper price & enjoy a few more quid profit.

tradegirl and Kes like this

10 hours ago, boring dave said:

irrespective of whether it shoes as cat s on the hpi register or not, as a trader you are aware it is and as such you need to make sure on your receipt your buyer is too

Dave if it is a Cat S of course I'll advertise as such. But if it's genuinely not been written off anywhere, then why do so? If the customer asks if the car's had damage then of course I'll tell them.

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It could be on the Experian register. 

I'll check with Experian, cover all bases.

7 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Dave if it is a Cat S of course I'll advertise as such. But if it's genuinely not been written off anywhere, then why do so? If the customer asks if the car's had damage then of course I'll tell them.

I'll check with Experian, cover all bases.

i had a car come back 8 months after sale customer telling me it was a cat c ,the old cat s sure enough when checked it had plopped up and she had tried to p/x

i gave her an immediate refund as i knew i didnt have a leg to stand on,the car came back as a right shed too,sold it again to a bloke 300 yards from work hes had it 4 years now so although i probably broke even it was better than the rustle police knocking on my door with their lanyards an all

if auction say cat s then someone told them this for the reasons above,remember you bought knowing this so just advertise as this but not showing but get it on the receipt as i said:)

tradegirl likes this

On 27 August 2018 at 9:00 AM, BHM said:

Ask the auction house for a report

How do guys get on that buy privately? 

1 hour ago, met said:

How do guys get on that buy privately? 

what like get mad billy to buy it for you with his trade account and settle him up in the kicking cuddy tonight

or show your bottom at midnight and pay schmuck dues at the rostrum on the fall of the hammer

done and you have been:lol:

buy privately:huh:

18 minutes ago, boring dave said:

what like get mad billy to buy it for you with his trade account and settle him up in the kicking cuddy tonight

or show your bottom at midnight and pay schmuck dues at the rostrum on the fall of the hammer

done and you have been:lol:

buy privately:huh:

No, how do you protect yourself when sourcing stock privately when unscrupulous private sellers exploit the delay in write off flags appearing until after purchase? 

6 minutes ago, met said:

No, how do you protect yourself when sourcing stock privately when unscrupulous private sellers exploit the delay in write off flags appearing until after purchase? 

How do you do the same when taking a car in PX?

I’m not sure this is much of a thing- with regards to delays in write-off flags. It’s the insurance companies that mark them  

I’ve been buying privately for thirty-odd years and it’s never been an issue. 

The process is the same when a dealer takes a car in PX.  Full Hpi check and make sure your purchase invoice has some nod towards the seller signing to say it’s free from drama. 

Also, Hpi give some form of guarantee as standard that info is correct I think. 

The RAC Passport Check and Experian etc do the same I think. 

Edited by NOACROSS

2 minutes ago, met said:

you  cant

include

log book lo0ans

stolen cars from rented accomodation

men selling cars owned by their partners

cat b c d s n that come to the table late

if you buy from a proper vendor and it turns to mush at least you may get your original investment back if the police give you the vehicle back of course i found in the past

you just need to do a risk assessment before you unfurl the folding

5 minutes ago, met said:

That is a very small share of that particular market mate. As well you know we can't safeguard against everything. Just buy from privates using your gut instinct, sooner or later you will end up copping an unfortunate one but by then you should be miles ahead.

9 hours ago, boring dave said:

you  cant

include

log book lo0ans

stolen cars from rented accomodation

men selling cars owned by their partners

cat b c d s n that come to the table late

if you buy from a proper vendor and it turns to mush at least you may get your original investment back if the police give you the vehicle back of course i found in the past

you just need to do a risk assessment before you unfurl the folding

I have no idea how ‘log book loans’ work but only last week (after buying a car through the trade about a fortnight ago & registering it to a relative) the loan company got in touch.

Even checking it afterwards the car still came back as finance free. I don’t know how the loan company found out ownership had changed, or even legally register their interest in the car, but they do. A sobering thought when taking p/xs.

I found this thread via google and I think it is right place. Apologies going straight into it. I will pop into intorduction section in a moment aswell. 

I came a cross recently few examples of cars with missing HPI marker with exactly same problem as described here. Auction house sold it with wirteoff but nothing on HPI. 

Problem is that HPI provides guarantee, and my solicitor had a look into details and it only covers HPI in case they make a mistake if official database says something else to what they said. 

From thread above I get HPi marker can be delayed but what if 2 years later it’s still not there?

See below example which was supposed to be cat C in 2017:

https://www.evanshalshaw.com/search/VehicleDetails/used-car-ford-focus--manual-diesel-silver-hatchback-WV14XZZ/

bdecba1e-e78c-4222-87a2-d3a511b8481a.JPG

97f5bbeb-5893-4562-aeeb-677164cc2b47.JPG

Edited by Josh Lambert
Kes likes this

1 hour ago, tradex said:

How? 

HPI Lottery won by whoever repaired that, it happens

Edited by twerp