Joao

Car auction

I'm new to chat rooms. I have been reading great advice on this chat room from every one. I'm a family man working as a security guard. I want to get back into this business to start bringing some extra cash home.I do know about machenics. I have in the past got cars from auctions, and got double my profit in the past but I also maid mistakes and lost some money. I wanted to know if anyone here uses auctions like ASM and what is the best way to buy cars to avoid getting stuck with lemons. 

Welcome, and if you find out-let us know!

Theres plenty of threads on newbie topics. Best just look through them. 

I always advise buying privately to start,  but I’m not sure anybody listens. :o)

I'd avoid auctions too. Buy privately to start and ensure you get the logbook and they send the green slip. 

Buying lemons can be a part of the game, especially if you're only spending a few grand on a car. Later, low mileage and the risk generally reduces. 

On 09/10/2018 at 4:08 PM, Joao said:

.I do know about machenics. 

Is that an oxymoron? :lol:

Sorry Joao, couldn't resist.

If you are mechanically trained then you are probably in a better position than a lot of us to appraise a car at auction.  For me, it is gut instinct, no obvious noises, service history and general condition of the car.  Good luck and welcome.

Having been to BCA numerous times in the past month or so I would agree that things don't seem to go cheap or for bargain prices but you do get the odd one, plus you have the advantage of if the work needs doing you can do it yourself.

Definitely not going against advice of others here as they are far more experienced than me, this is just my experience over recent time. 

I am not convinced there are particularly cheap cars at auction these days, you pays your monies and take your chances and if you get to look at them your time is very limited. 

Can't remember the last time I lifted a bonnet on a car at the auction, if it gets me home without breaking down I take that as a win.

i think this is my form of gambling .

We stay away from car auctions as my partner is a mechanic so he wants to check them as much as he can most private sellers try to hide issues or lie to get you down but we just try get them as low as possible.