Sign in to follow this  
Andy Entwistle

We love a leggy one......

Recommended Posts

So, conversation between me and Big Mike in the office today ( its true !!) discussing what dictates a car being classed as high mileage....

So, what is the highest mileage car you've sold and more importantly, what's the highest mileage metal you've taken in, what was it and how old...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll kick off with my old Volvo 240 in primary school toilet blue, bought in 1998 with 330,000 on the clock for £35 from BCA. Sold in 2002 with 400,300 for six times what I paid for it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Brothers 04 plate V70 D5 Auto  with 668,589 miles numerous Service BOOKS all our stamps , 7 Cam belt changes , every time he's close to us he stops for oil change , coffee or lunch and a Cam Belt :)

Gave him £40 cash for it and a Polish fella bought it  px to clear for £600 :) hope his new V70 goes as well . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not particularly impressive mileage, numbers wise - but haven't seen another with that many.

2003 Suzuki Jimny with 174,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, D&M said:

Not particularly impressive mileage, numbers wise - but haven't seen another with that many.

2003 Suzuki Jimny with 174,000.

IMAGINE Sitting in one of them for 174,000 miles ,my god we have one for winter use and they are painful on distances :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a guy try and chop in a 04 Panda with 234k on it but wanted actual money for it. Was like triggers broom...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

IMAGINE Sitting in one of them for 174,000 miles ,my god we have one for winter use and they are painful on distances :) 

The 40MPH Jimny steering wheel wobble is good fun too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Mike said:

I'll kick off with my old Volvo 240 in primary school toilet blue, bought in 1998 with 330,000 on the clock for £35 from BCA. Sold in 2002 with 400,300 for six times what I paid for it...

Welcome Big Mike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it was about time. I've only been associated with Car Dealer for about 11 years... It's taken me that long to master the internet. Apparently it sells cars ;-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For quite a few years we have or had a guy( he could be due again ) who buys the same 100k ex lease medium size car as his swapper.He is from a far distance away from us ( according to him).This guy is straight forward to deal with and his swappers are as sound and clean as when they were purchased.The interesting thing is, the swapper has done about another 200k in 2 to 3 years ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Big Mike said:

Thought it was about time. I've only been associated with Car Dealer for about 11 years... It's taken me that long to master the internet. Apparently it sells cars ;-)

Nah. It will never catch on. Still can't beat a balloon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Big Mike said:

Thought it was about time. I've only been associated with Car Dealer for about 11 years... It's taken me that long to master the internet. Apparently it sells cars ;-)

Welcome Mike. Cheers Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a fairly newish Fiat 500 that went through BCA not long back with over 200k. Would love to know who had the joy of sitting behind the wheel of that for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a mint 12 Plate Honda Jazz Ex model earlier this year with 189k for 650 drove like new top spec, sold next day for 1500.  I love moon mileage !!

Edited by Ek cars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had quite a few milers but one that springs to mind is the guy that would do 60 to 80k a year in a Mitsubishi Evolution V1, he was a proper petrol head. I was always amazed how he kept his licence!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Mike said:

I'll kick off with my old Volvo 240 in primary school toilet blue, bought in 1998 with 330,000 on the clock for £35 from BCA. Sold in 2002 with 400,300 for six times what I paid for it...

Hi Mike and welcome

40 years in the job it says.You must have some tales.( nearly as many as me).You couldn’t have been doing bangers for 40 years,I will ask before someone else does.......what went wrong ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone who hasn’t read the Big Mike Column in the magazine- I highly recommend it. You can see the previous ones online. Most amusing (and often nostalgic to the days we long-in-the-tooth traders remember) and the main reason I subscribe to it. 

T.V.  I wonder whether your question my well end up featuring in one of his future issues.. I predict the answer will be something like: ‘bloody modern cars are no better than a Christmas cracker toy made in Taiwan, and just as likely to self-destruct as actually be useful. That and the fact you can make more profit out of an old car and don’t have to push GAP, finance, Supaguard, service plan’s etc.

Mind you- he had to sell Morris Itals etc new I think, so he knows what he’s on about. 

I always thought he was BHM (Big Hairy Mike) as he’s in the same neck-of-the-woods  ;o)

Anyway, welcome Big Mike. A la Wayne’s World: we are not worthy!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

For anyone who hasn’t read the Big Mike Column in the magazine- I highly recommend it. You can see the previous ones online. Most amusing (and often nostalgic to the days we long-in-the-tooth traders remember) and the main reason I subscribe to it. 

T.V.  I wonder whether your question my well end up featuring in one of his future issues.. I predict the answer will be something like: ‘bloody modern cars are no better than a Christmas cracker toy made in Taiwan, and just as likely to self-destruct as actually be useful. That and the fact you can make more profit out of an old car and don’t have to push GAP, finance, Supaguard, service plan’s etc.

Mind you- he had to sell Morris Itals etc new I think, so he knows what he’s on about. 

I always thought he was BHM (Big Hairy Mike) as he’s in the same neck-of-the-woods  ;o)

Anyway, welcome Big Mike. A la Wayne’s World: we are not worthy!

 

I seem to remember back in AT mag days up here a BIg Mike’s,might have been Hartlepool....I do like bangers by the way,I now have an 06 Rav to run around in,it was a grand plus the cost of a new ticket....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not mega mega miles but absolutely stunning condition 2007 TT fsi 179,000 sold to guy in Glasgow CID, brilliant car.. 

_20180507_221110.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, David Horgan said:

My Brothers 04 plate V70 D5 Auto  with 668,589 miles numerous Service BOOKS all our stamps , 7 Cam belt changes , every time he's close to us he stops for oil change , coffee or lunch and a Cam Belt :)

Gave him £40 cash for it and a Polish fella bought it  px to clear for £600 :) hope his new V70 goes as well . 

:o I genuinely never knew engines could run that long. That is amazing. Bloody hell that's what you call a reliable car. Not like Insignia engines that are made of cheese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highest mileage we've taken in was an ex taxi Skoda Superb 1.9 tdi all singing all dancing, it was still running well at 330k. Sold within a day at 1295.

Looking at BCA atm, there is a Passat 1.9 tdi covered 528k. So not unheard of in that engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, trade vet said:

I seem to remember back in AT mag days up here a BIg Mike’s,might have been Hartlepool....I do like bangers by the way,I now have an 06 Rav to run around in,it was a grand plus the cost of a new ticket....

Part of the Comerford dynasty, Mike(father) and the 4 lads Alan, Michael, Stephen and David. Started in Stockton(Would do 100 plus bangers some WEEKS from that site) and when the lads got older they had places in Darlington,Hartlepool and the Boro(Grangetown). All before the days of CRA. Where are you from Trade Vet? Must be reasonably local.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this