Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arfur Dealy

2006 Audi Allroad 3.0 tdi

44 posts in this topic

Help. I’ve recently sold the above to a gent a the Basingstoke area, the car just cut out yesterday and now won’t start. Sounds like fuel starvation. 

Is there anyone on here with proper workshop and diagnostic in the Basingstoke area who can help / diagnose properly? Cheers Simon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Help. I’ve recently sold the above to a gent a the Basingstoke area, the car just cut out yesterday and now won’t start. Sounds like fuel starvation. 

Is there anyone on here with proper workshop and diagnostic in the Basingstoke area who can help / diagnose properly? Cheers Simon 

Isn't Nick MK close?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Isn't Nick MK close?

Even if the 50 miles weren't an issue Simon asked for a proper workshop. 

I would ask the customer to get the AA or RAC out (even pay to extend their cover to Home Start), even if they don't manage to start the car they will at least plug the diagnostic in and give some idea of the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm, not sure I'd trust an RAC / AA Diagnosis, I get plenty towed in here in the Summer .............................

Here's a couple from last Summer ........................

Auto Mazda Bongo Camper RAC said "The Gearbox is FUBAR", that was water in fuel tank, hardly any Engine power !!

2011 C Class wouldn't Start ................ AA said "Crank Position Sensor" ................ It wasn't even cranking, a drink had been spilt in the Gear Shifter !!

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Hmmmm, not sure I'd trust an RAC / AA Diagnosis, I get plenty towed in here in the Summer .............................

 

If there was a world trust championship for the motor trade then RAC/AA etc would be right up there going for gold. They may as well right their reports in crayon as far as I'm concerned.

Nicoletta likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Even if the 50 miles weren't an issue Simon asked for a proper workshop. 

I would ask the customer to get the AA or RAC out (even pay to extend their cover to Home Start), even if they don't manage to start the car they will at least plug the diagnostic in and give some idea of the problem. 

It was picked up by the RAC and taken to his home, lots of codes related to fuel aparently, I don't trust the AA or RAC either....... Its gone this morning into https://www.mpcbasingstoke.com/audi-specialists-servicing-basingstoke they are diagnosing......  

Thanks for your help guys :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, sparky said:

If there was a world trust championship for the motor trade then RAC/AA etc would be right up there going for gold. They may as well right their reports in crayon as far as I'm concerned.

Ha Ha Ha, (Screen / Coffee Spat) lololol best laugh so far today, and couldn't agree with you more.

I once had an Apprentice at the Transmission Firm, his Dad was an RAC Breakdown Waller, a real lovely guy but an absolute clueless c*nt, and that was back when there were still a few Cars on the road with Carburettors and Distributors :lol:

34 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It was picked up by the RAC and taken to his home, lots of codes related to fuel aparently, I don't trust the AA or RAC either....... Its gone this morning into https://www.mpcbasingstoke.com/audi-specialists-servicing-basingstoke they are diagnosing......  

Thanks for your help guys :)

LIKE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Hmmmm, not sure I'd trust an RAC / AA Diagnosis, I get plenty towed in here in the Summer .............................

Here's a couple from last Summer ........................

Auto Mazda Bongo Camper RAC said "The Gearbox is FUBAR", that was water in fuel tank, hardly any Engine power !!

2011 C Class wouldn't Start ................ AA said "Crank Position Sensor" ................ It wasn't even cranking, a drink had been spilt in the Gear Shifter !!

:rolleyes:

Wifes 407 broke down years ago, diagnosis by RAC, blocked DPF. 

 

......in actual fact it was the alternator. 

......never did the find the faulty DPF no matter hard I looked, but I did treat her to a new set of plugs whilst the bonnet was up.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sparky said:

If there was a world trust championship for the motor trade then RAC/AA etc would be right up there going for gold. They may as well right their reports in crayon as far as I'm concerned.

Friend of mines battery ran flat this winter, called the AA out, they were sure it was the alternator having a busted diode, wanted to get it booked in to his mates garage next day..... after he was on the road again he noticed he'd left the interior light on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Even if the 50 miles weren't an issue Simon asked for a proper workshop. 

I would ask the customer to get the AA or RAC out (even pay to extend their cover to Home Start), even if they don't manage to start the car they will at least plug the diagnostic in and give some idea of the problem. 

Sorry Nick, I meant you may know someone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a Halfrauds Diagnosis from over Christmas Time .........................

2009 Jeep Patriot CRD 4x4

Awful racket driving up the road, Halfrauds said "You need a full new Exhaust System with CAT etc etc".

Old boy from Glenelg is one of my regulars, booked it in today at 12 noon, to see exactly what was wrong with Exhaust, I put it through MOT a while back, and don't remember the Ex being that old on it, so was skeptical..................

On the lift, absolutely fuck all wrong with Exhaust, gave everything underneath a tug / lever / check but NFF 

WTF ??????????

Dropped it off the Lift, old boy says it's awful noise, (and he's halfways deaf) ................ from 30 MPH upwards it gets really loud he says, so off we trot on road test ...........................

Couple of hundred yards was enough for me, Wheel Bearing at front !!

I have to admit I don't think I've ever had one as loud as it was, a road speed related horrendous rumbling with a sort of Harmonic through the vehicle, at 60 MPH it sounded like a V8 Nascar going past the pit lane  .....................

Back on the lift, stuck it in 6th gear on idle wheels off ground obviously, yeah, NSF absolutely, and OSF got a bit of noise, so I dropped him home.

2 Bearings will be here next week, plus a couple of ABS Sensors for good measure, they will likely break on disassembly !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Hmmmm, not sure I'd trust an RAC / AA Diagnosis, I get plenty towed in here in the Summer .............................

Here's a couple from last Summer ........................

Auto Mazda Bongo Camper RAC said "The Gearbox is FUBAR", that was water in fuel tank, hardly any Engine power !!

2011 C Class wouldn't Start ................ AA said "Crank Position Sensor" ................ It wasn't even cranking, a drink had been spilt in the Gear Shifter !!

:rolleyes:

We had a Transit dragged by the AA two years ago , He  had been told by the AA guy it was fuel Pump and the cost was £900 , Was the tell tail sign on the dash that diagnosed the problem , NO Diesel :rolleyes:

Another guy we know had his V8 petrol Land Rover Vouge towed in with a Non Starting problem at Christmas ,Not Starting  , Indicators not working , Heated seats , Electric seats , all not working . THE AA twat nearly dismantled it , Under boot floor , Under Bonnet , Under dash , Un plugged every thing , and didn't put it together again , marched in telling my Son what he had to do and what was wrong , and how he had re wired it to try to get it going , Took Three hours to put it back together and all it wanted was a proper sized battery fitting , The AA twats had fitted a much too small battery 1  month previous . Battery fitted and the bloody thing is fine . 

Only got to watch the AA perform at BCA to know what fools they are 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Here's a Halfrauds Diagnosis from over Christmas Time .........................

2009 Jeep Patriot CRD 4x4

Awful racket driving up the road, Halfrauds said "You need a full new Exhaust System with CAT etc etc".

Old boy from Glenelg is one of my regulars, booked it in today at 12 noon, to see exactly what was wrong with Exhaust, I put it through MOT a while back, and don't remember the Ex being that old on it, so was skeptical..................

On the lift, absolutely fuck all wrong with Exhaust, gave everything underneath a tug / lever / check but NFF 

WTF ??????????

Dropped it off the Lift, old boy says it's awful noise, (and he's halfways deaf) ................ from 30 MPH upwards it gets really loud he says, so off we trot on road test ...........................

Couple of hundred yards was enough for me, Wheel Bearing at front !!

I have to admit I don't think I've ever had one as loud as it was, a road speed related horrendous rumbling with a sort of Harmonic through the vehicle, at 60 MPH it sounded like a V8 Nascar going past the pit lane  .....................

Back on the lift, stuck it in 6th gear on idle wheels off ground obviously, yeah, NSF absolutely, and OSF got a bit of noise, so I dropped him home.

2 Bearings will be here next week, plus a couple of ABS Sensors for good measure, they will likely break on disassembly !!

 

Dave, not telling you how to suck eggs but these suffer from failed front end CV joints with similar noises, they can sound horrendous. Worth checking whilst all apart, inner and outer. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i call all these recovery men failed mechanics

lets be honest if they were any good they would be the top tech at a dealership or running their own business

i detest them with a vehemence if a recovery wagon comes to me with 30 twat lights on

they have never ever brought a car to me and diagnosed correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tradex said:

Dave, not telling you how to suck eggs but these suffer from failed front end CV joints with similar noises, they can sound horrendous. Worth checking whilst all apart, inner and outer. B)

Thanks for the heads up, this is the only one I've seen up here ;)

Funny you should say that, I did wonder, will give 'em all a thorough exam and replace if neccessary when I strip it, can also send Bearings back for credit if they aren't needed, my money is in the stripping and parts %-age, so if I don't have to press a bearing I'd rather not anyways lol ;)

16 hours ago, boring dave said:

i call all these recovery men failed mechanics

lets be honest if they were any good they would be the top tech at a dealership or running their own business

i detest them with a vehemence if a recovery wagon comes to me with 30 twat lights on

they have never ever brought a car to me and diagnosed correctly

/\ /\ /\ LIKE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The A6 Allroad mixes the practicality and style of an accomplished and sophisticated estate with the rugged capability of an off-roader. That's because in addition to the robust looks and cavernous interior, it's fitted with permanent four-wheel-drive, for added stability when it's wet or frosty. It's a multi talented performer and one that's well equipped for towing, eating up motorway miles and tackling muddy tracks.

It nestles between the A6 Avant estate and Q7 seven-seat off-roader in the Audi line-up and makes a supremely good long distance machine thanks to a wonderfully smooth ride. In October 2008 the range was facelifted with subtle exterior tweaks (including LED rear lights) and more efficient engines. Click here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DomingoSpear said:

The A6 Allroad mixes the practicality and style of an accomplished and sophisticated estate with the rugged capability of an off-roader. That's because in addition to the robust looks and cavernous interior, it's fitted with permanent four-wheel-drive, for added stability when it's wet or frosty. It's a multi talented performer and one that's well equipped for towing, eating up motorway miles and tackling muddy tracks.

It nestles between the A6 Avant estate and Q7 seven-seat off-roader in the Audi line-up and makes a supremely good long distance machine thanks to a wonderfully smooth ride. In October 2008 the range was facelifted with subtle exterior tweaks (including LED rear lights) and more efficient engines. Click here

Well, well, well, I never knew that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither did I and had no need to find out :-) 

thank you for this unique forum contribution 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

35 minutes ago, DomingoSpear said:

The A6 Allroad mixes the practicality and style of an accomplished and sophisticated estate with the rugged capability of an off-roader. That's because in addition to the robust looks and cavernous interior, it's fitted with permanent four-wheel-drive, for added stability when it's wet or frosty. It's a multi talented performer and one that's well equipped for towing, eating up motorway miles and tackling muddy tracks.

It nestles between the A6 Avant estate and Q7 seven-seat off-roader in the Audi line-up and makes a supremely good long distance machine thanks to a wonderfully smooth ride. In October 2008 the range was facelifted with subtle exterior tweaks (including LED rear lights) and more efficient engines. Click here

Hateful German troublesome crap. ;0)

Anyway, it's All Wheel Drive no- not 4WD? Can only send a maximum of 50% to the front or rear I thought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 11:00 AM, tradex said:

Wifes 407 broke down years ago, diagnosis by RAC, blocked DPF. 

 

......in actual fact it was the alternator. 

......never did the find the faulty DPF no matter hard I looked, but I did treat her to a new set of plugs whilst the bonnet was up.... 

:lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DomingoSpear said:

The A6 Allroad mixes the practicality and style of an accomplished and sophisticated estate with the rugged capability of an off-roader. That's because in addition to the robust looks and cavernous interior, it's fitted with permanent four-wheel-drive, for added stability when it's wet or frosty. It's a multi talented performer and one that's well equipped for towing, eating up motorway miles and tackling muddy tracks.

It nestles between the A6 Avant estate and Q7 seven-seat off-roader in the Audi line-up and makes a supremely good long distance machine thanks to a wonderfully smooth ride. In October 2008 the range was facelifted with subtle exterior tweaks (including LED rear lights) and more efficient engines. Click here

WTF??? :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DomingoSpear said:

The A6 Allroad mixes the practicality and style of an accomplished and sophisticated estate with the rugged capability of an off-roader. That's because in addition to the robust looks and cavernous interior, it's fitted with permanent four-wheel-drive, for added stability when it's wet or frosty. It's a multi talented performer and one that's well equipped for towing, eating up motorway miles and tackling muddy tracks.

It nestles between the A6 Avant estate and Q7 seven-seat off-roader in the Audi line-up and makes a supremely good long distance machine thanks to a wonderfully smooth ride. In October 2008 the range was facelifted with subtle exterior tweaks (including LED rear lights) and more efficient engines. Click here

I wondered what the original Top Gear team were doing nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update, MPC diagnosed senders in the tank, there’s two apparently, good news is instead of replacement there is a repair kit “approx £23” x2 plus fitting......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0