Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iJCS1

Have people stopped buying diesels?.

58 posts in this topic

I've a superb 2006 VW Golf DSG Auto with the desirable 1.9 TDi engine.

Only done 51k with fsh & recent cambelt.

Long story short would have sold within a week usually but not a call or email?.

Advertised at £3395 which I think is fairly priced inc a service, 12 months mot & warranty. 

Have buyers really fallen for the diesel 'dont buy diesel' cr*p!. 

Recently had a 2004 Golf Auto 1.6 in stock with 90k & sold within 2 days. That was advertised at £2895. 

Edited by iJCS1

Some people have, yes. Old petrol cars are in weirdly high demand considering tax cost and fuel economy (or lack of). 

Your DSG gearbox might be stopping the buyer more than the TDI. The older petrol Golf had a different gearbox right? 

Kes likes this

Diesel very hard work for a couple of years now on the South Coast here. 

A Jag XF diesel sells well still for us, as does an Xtrail etc but otherwise the kiss of death mostly. 

I’ve never done any good with Golfs weirdly. True about DSG too. People have cottoned on they’re hassle (as with other German crap -especially as it gets older). 

Bloody hope not! I've got one Mondeo 2.2 tdci titanium x in that's been with me for 56 days now, got one focus 1.6 tdci econetic estate due in this week along with a golf GT TDI. 

Saying that my petrol stock isn't shifting well either 

24 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Which part of the country are you Mikey?

Just north of Peterborough

7 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

The older petrol Golf had a different gearbox right? 

Was also MK5 with the DSG. 

2 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

True about DSG too. People have cottoned on they’re hassle (as with other German crap -especially as it gets older). 

Would understand on a high miler but a low miles with fsh?. 

I've been using it last few days & to be fair I'm not a big DSG fan but pulls absolutely lovely. 

Im still selling diesel 50/50 ratio to petrol I'd say. £30 tax and 60+mpg is still tempting for a lot of people. 

Pretty much 50/50 this month. 9 diesels, 8 petrol.

One of the diesels was an 07 Golf 1.9 match 5dr with 100k I took in px. Sold it for £2999 from 1 photo before I had even got a scuff on front wing and bumper done.

Sold 15 so far, all diesels. I don't have any petrols in stock as I stock mainly ex fleet cars. 

I would personally drive a diesel for as long as I can, not just the low tax and fuel economy but also the performance from the 2.1 litre engines I usually have in my Mercs. 

I think the current Lindon mayor will NOT be re-elected and the plans for the large ULEZ zone in 2021 will go with him. 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

I think the current Lindon mayor will NOT be re-elected and the plans for the large ULEZ zone in 2021 will go with him. 

One can only wish Nick.

His plans for oxford street fell through recently.

It's all just to make £s. I really dont think he cares much about common folk who suffer from asthma & about peoples health.. 

The UK will benefit hugely. £12 per car to drive in the ULEZ 24hrs a day if before Euro6 + congestion charge before 6 if I remember correctly.. £24? For the common guy with a 10+ year old car.

I personally think the city is going to suffer badly. 

Edited by iJCS1

Other cities are introducing ULEZ-equivalent zones so don't be surprised if it follows through.

met likes this

49 minutes ago, boring dave said:

its all to do with the eu

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/17/uk-taken-to-europes-highest-court-over-air-pollution

donald trump walked away from the paris agreement too because he puts his country first

just sayin....................

Not sure it is.

Looks at Gove's plans to ban wood burners because of emissions which will go forward post Brexit.

8 minutes ago, twerp said:

Not sure it is.

Looks at Gove's plans to ban wood burners because of emissions which will go forward post Brexit.

im not a fan of the guardian but did you read the article

are you aware we have no coal fired power stations anymore? we burn twigs imported from canada

oh and all the nuclear plants will be shut within 15 years

scary stuff

They will have to ban bogs, marshes and cows arses if they want to show willing with some hydrocarbons:D.

In some areas on this planet, a new car is acutally scubbing some gases of regulated pollutants, from the air going that enters the air inlet.

SAAB years ago looked at a radiator coating to 'clean' oncoming air of metane but the regulators would not offset this against regulated pollutants, so, I don't think it ever flew (no pun intended).

Area 51 likes this

Read somewhere that there is a shortfall in London of electricity, therefore a diesel fired power station is used to boost supply at times of demand.. What pollution does this result in?

35 minutes ago, tradex said:

They will have to ban bogs, marshes and cows arses if they want to show willing with some hydrocarbons:D.

In some areas on this planet, a new car is acutally scubbing some gases of regulated pollutants, from the air going that enters the air inlet.

SAAB years ago looked at a radiator coating to 'clean' oncoming air of metane but the regulators would not offset this against regulated pollutants, so, I don't think it ever flew (no pun intended).

You forgot politicians and celebrities..

On 21/01/2019 at 0:53 AM, iJCS1 said:

I've a superb 2006 VW Golf DSG Auto with the desirable 1.9 TDi engine.

Only done 51k with fsh & recent cambelt.

Long story short would have sold within a week usually but not a call or email?.

Advertised at £3395 which I think is fairly priced inc a service, 12 months mot & warranty. 

51K or not, I would think the average punter with £3395 to spend won’t want to come away with 13yr old Golf. 

44 minutes ago, BHM said:

51K or not, I would think the average punter with £3395 to spend won’t want to come away with 13yr old Golf. 

You should come down South to look at some prices and see how little £3395 buys you. A decent smallish German automatic "for the wife" is not easy to come by in that price range. 

met likes this