Becca Chaplin

Are consumers ready to buy a car purely online without ever visiting the dealership?

Are consumers ready to buy a car purely online without ever visiting the dealership?   36 members have voted

  1. 1. Are consumers ready to buy a car purely online without ever visiting the dealership?

    • Yes – new and used cars
      17
    • Yes – new cars only
      8
    • Not yet but possibly soon
      8
    • Unsure
      2
    • Never going to happen
      1

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 posts in this topic

We've been running this poll over on our Facebook page with some interesting results and wanted to test the water with you all. 

Votes are anonymous too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read last year that Ashcroft is planning to have Fords on show in some larger stores (since takeover of Debenhams) and they can be purchased too.. Not heard of it being introduced anywhere yet though.. With so much being on the internet, cant see why it would not work...! As new generations come along, more and more is "online"

Sold an XC60 (used) to a couple in autumn from 60mls away, didnt even drive it until after payment and I had collected them at station..  I'd expect its happening in the USA, bet Amazon have it in their plans too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we sell loads of cars without customer even viewing them. In fact most pay a deposit before we've even physically inspected and bought the car. We have walked away from loads of cars that have not been described properly. Some customers ask for their deposit back (which we obviously return) others say hang on to it until we find them something suitable. 

RH Trading likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the futures bright

everythings gone orange

meanwhile in india 52% of their energy needs are from coal

younger generation buy like this because they are too dammed lazy to get of their butttts

alexia.phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

juat sayin............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January we delivered 3 to Scotland,1 to Brighton and 2 to Devon/Cornwall on transports. We offer nationwide delivery for a small charge but deposits and finance apps where completely online without seeing them. One of them I didn't even speak to. Great on one hand as these hardly ever want to chip on price, on the other hand as I also run a service centre its a one hit wonder, doubt I'll ever get any other business from them and don't get a part ex so this is a double edged sword. Think its me being old school here but personally would prefer to see the customer, notice its younger people who are more confident in buying purely online. don't think its anything new, we've sold online without seeing the customer for at least 5 years, just doing more and more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We get the odd request to buy and deliver sight unseen but decline them. Come in, view it, drive it, buy it if you're happy. We're not selling near new minters so I want people to come in and see the goods before it goes anywhere near money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We, motor traders all buy online without a physical view of the car. So yes, people also will eventually buy online without physical viewing the car.

Edited by Lucas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do a few, but not loads and I always male sure I speak to the customer at length first.

Unless it CF247 who just come in and drive away generally...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we sell quite a few unseen, but we never deliver to a customer who hasn't been on site and seen the car.

Being in the lakes we have people who buy online not seen the car come and collect and make a weekend break of it.

CCC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with many on here we sell a few retail used cars online but won’t deliver them unseen as there are to many smartarses and I know a dealer who got shafted when they changed distance selling rules and he had to take back a BMW where the buyer decided they did not like the colour after 10 days....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Contracts said:

As with many on here we sell a few retail used cars online but won’t deliver them unseen as there are to many smartarses and I know a dealer who got shafted when they changed distance selling rules and he had to take back a BMW where the buyer decided they did not like the colour after 10 days....

We all know situations similar to this Contracts but I know many whom collectively have sold thousands without issue.  If we listen to the exceptional cases we would never sell another car again for fear of that one case in a thousand.  Just MO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

We all know situations similar to this Contracts but I know many whom collectively have sold thousands without issue.  If we listen to the exceptional cases we would never sell another car again for fear of that one case in a thousand.  Just MO.

This (still no like button)

Nothing to worry about.

Sell the car and do the paperwork at the customers house once delivered and driven if worried. Take a reservation fee beforehand..again if worried  

Distance selling is a nonsense as expressed by Lawgistics a while back. As long as it’s not the main part of your business. 

As with others, I have sold plenty like this with not one issue ever. 

Like Mark says, don’t let the pennies hold up the pounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how it will pan out. I don’t like buying without trying if it’s for me (and wary of doing so for business as I don’t trust online auction prices from bca). 

Selling my mums old polo privately to friends and they insisted they both try it to see how they found it to drive which is sensible.

my dads previous partner bought a Peugeot unseen and traded it after 9months as could never get comfortable driving it. 

I guess many will do so but only for those for whom cars are white goods of where they’ve driven the model before.

i prefer them to come and see it. But I’m not the customer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New message from: ***** (39Yellow Star)

 

Hello
I am very interested in the Automatic Mini
 I have two questions 
Does it have a sunroof and sat nav
Would you accept £9000 as that was my budget
I can pay immediately and I also would like to use your delivery service
Could you call me on ***********
May thanks
Vanessa ********

Had this Ebay message yesterday early evening.

Called her and qualified. (Has she seen the video etc) Lovely lady in her late 60’s in Hereford 

Questions answered (clearly showed sunroof and Nav in listing/pictures but hey-ho). 

Deposited and delivery arranged (at her expense) for the weekend. 

Happens quite often. I don’t think it will ever be the norm or the main way of purchasing (not for used anyway but maybe new?)

Gotta embrace it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

New message from: ***** (39Yellow Star)

 

Hello
I am very interested in the Automatic Mini
 I have two questions 
Does it have a sunroof and sat nav
Would you accept £9000 as that was my budget
I can pay immediately and I also would like to use your delivery service
Could you call me on ***********
May thanks
Vanessa ********

Had this Ebay message yesterday early evening.

Called her and qualified. (Has she seen the video etc) Lovely lady in her late 60’s in Hereford 

Questions answered (clearly showed sunroof and Nav in listing/pictures but hey-ho). 

Deposited and delivery arranged (at her expense) for the weekend. 

Happens quite often. I don’t think it will ever be the norm or the main way of purchasing (not for used anyway but maybe new?)

Gotta embrace it. 

Get of my turf you :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

Get of my turf you :lol:

:0)

Least I know who to ask for a mechanic if she has any trouble with the junk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

:0)

Least I know who to ask for a mechanic if she has any trouble with the junk.

You'd be more than welcome, I know a few within an hour of her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

You'd be more than welcome, I know a few within an hour of her.

Thanks mates.  Same here if you ever have any doom on the South Coast of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Thanks mates.  Same here if you ever have any doom on the South Coast of course.

Wish I knew that when the engine on the yacht I was chartering konked out/overheated in a Force 8 wind over tide between Portsmouth and Southampton 2 years ago :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now