AGS

Vw 7 gear Dsg issue

26 posts in this topic

I bought a scirroco 1.4 Tsi from Blackbushe the other day on collection everything was fine it was only half way home I noticed the gear indicator on the display was flashing. 

It still drives fine goes into gear ect. But somthing is definitely not right. 

I'm hoping it's not the mechatronics unit as its still driving OK. 

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? 

First thing I'm going to try is a dsg oil and filter change as it had gearbox leak advisory on MOT a couple years ago so worth a shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The first thing I'd try before wasting money on Oil etc is read the bloody thing on VAG Com, and then, being a VW, whatever you estimate it's repair cost to be double it for all the grief and aggro even a "simple" job will turn out to be .........................

Oh yes, I love VAG products NOT ;)

Edited by Dave2302

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read it with a snapon diagnostic and there were a few codes all related to low pressure in the oil pump which is why I'm thinking it could be low oil. 

Thinking about nearly every car that's caused me major aggro has been either a VW or an Audi yet I still buy them for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AGS said:

I've read it with a snapon diagnostic and there were a few codes all related to low pressure in the oil pump which is why I'm thinking it could be low oil. 

Thinking about nearly every car that's caused me major aggro has been either a VW or an Audi yet I still buy them for some reason. 

TBH its anything German nowadays.

 

As dave says, ignore snap on, get it on Vag Com or ODIS if you can. It will make it far easier to diagnose .

PS. You are very brave, that engine and that gearbox! :o

David Horgan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AGS said:

I've read it with a snapon diagnostic and there were a few codes all related to low pressure in the oil pump which is why I'm thinking it could be low oil. 

Thinking about nearly every car that's caused me major aggro has been either a VW or an Audi yet I still buy them for some reason. 

sorry too hear this, how many miles has it covered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

sorry too hear this, how many miles has it covered?

It's done 82k on a 59 plate overall a decent car full service history. I need to get a vagcom and hopefully get a clearer diagnostic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

38 minutes ago, AGS said:

It's done 82k on a 59 plate overall a decent car full service history. I need to get a vagcom and hopefully get a clearer diagnostic. 

yeh sadly common on VAG dsg from 80-100k, think its 40k service intervals which often get missed, if it lurches on the downshift in lower gears get rid, otherwise you might get lucky, might pay to diag and plump for the franchise box service circa 2-250, not cheap but i think you get a software update too, or you used too, hope you get a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flashing display is the mechatronics system (in my experence)...but is does require proper diagnosis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate VW's, try not to do much with them these days, but ..........

IIRC the flashing display is just telling that there is a problem somewhere in the Transmission Electronics, so could be a lot of less expensive things like maybe a speed sensor etc ;)

HTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I hate VW's, try not to do much with them these days, but ..........

IIRC the flashing display is just telling that there is a problem somewhere in the Transmission Electronics, so could be a lot of less expensive things like maybe a speed sensor etc ;)

HTH

 

It's with my mechanic now so should find out soon enough. 

Thanks for the advice everyone will post the outcome 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2019 at 10:46 AM, Dave2302 said:

Yeah plz do, I'm curious now (as ever) ;)

It was the oil pump in the mechatronics sent it of to ECU testing for repair. 

Not too expensive should still turn a small a profit but not really worth the agro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for follow up.

They really aren't worth the hassle, you'll be waiting for that "Since I bought my Car off you .............." phone call :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, AGS said:

It was the oil pump in the mechatronics sent it of to ECU testing for repair. 

Not too expensive should still turn a small a profit but not really worth the agro. 

Trouble with the VAG TSI engines now though is the bloody chain really wants changing for the updated version with new tensioner . They get very expensive to prep , leaving not much profits in the things . Time you've finished spending and paying margin VAT the profits only pennies if your lucky half the time . 

People pay way too much for these cars in auctions then finding the spend is eating profits like water down a drain pipe ,The others that do nothing to these cars  must be running the " I've just bought this car and its misfiring " call gauntlet + whats the warranty cover call . At that point it gets very expensive doesn't it because your in the hands of the other garages and their labour charges .

Your lucky you found the problem in my mind before Joe public found it . 

Hope it goes ok for you now when you get it back and sold . 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ye it's one of those things we all get one every now and again Its probably the biggest issue I've had in a long time so I've been on a good run. 

One thing with VAG cars recently iv had to pay out for four door locks most on cars that I've sold and they've gone on the customer and 1 on a A5 I have in stock. 

And now one that's stuck shut on childlock on a mk5 R32 I just bought. 

There made of shit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AGS said:

Ye it's one of those things we all get one every now and again Its probably the biggest issue I've had in a long time so I've been on a good run. 

One thing with VAG cars recently iv had to pay out for four door locks most on cars that I've sold and they've gone on the customer and 1 on a A5 I have in stock. 

And now one that's stuck shut on childlock on a mk5 R32 I just bought. 

There made of shit 

Ah forgot that typical VAG fault , we get them on SEAT's and Golfs all the time , mostly rear doors same locks as the R32's know doubt  :rolleyes:

They are useless 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive just had this on a beetle, lock jammed down on handover... Ended up spending last friday fetching it (an hour each way)and getting it repaired here so it didnt fall into the hands of someone elses labour charges or a 'health check'. I put a VW part on which was £140 but there seem loads of non gen around for around £20. Anyone ever had success with those or do they break in no time? I didnt want to do it on this one because the customer isnt local

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MattR said:

Ive just had this on a beetle, lock jammed down on handover... Ended up spending last friday fetching it (an hour each way)and getting it repaired here so it didnt fall into the hands of someone elses labour charges or a 'health check'. I put a VW part on which was £140 but there seem loads of non gen around for around £20. Anyone ever had success with those or do they break in no time? I didnt want to do it on this one because the customer isnt local

There the ones I buy they seem to work long enough for it not be your problem at least lol 

 

For the ones that went on customers I ordered them of ebay to there address and sent them £50 for an hour labour at a garage there not that difficult to do you just have to take the door card off. 

When there stuck on childlock and completely deadlocked which is what I have with the R32 I'm not sure how I'm going to do it.  Before you could open from the inside at least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a VAG product that needed a front drivers door lock assembly, a £20 eBay gem works fine.

However one of the rear doors has to be opened from inside first before it can be opened from the outside. It then works ok from the outside until the next time it is locked. Is this also the door lock assembly?

This is also the car that I changed the key fob cover, during the 30 seconds the battery was out of the fob the fob electronics died resulting in a £100 bill. F***ing VWs, they’re great. Not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VW product is no longer premium product it once was, Last decade its really got a lot worse, However perception of buying public is Quality German engineering, Class and well built, This reputation is based on past decades and not the  stuff  we are selling

Area 51 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

VW product is no longer premium product it once was,

LOL, I've been working on all makes for most of my 42 years in this trade, and if ever anything was gonna be a "piece of bite your arse give you hassle and aggro to work on and get correct parts for pile of shit" it's a VAG Product .................

Yeah it's got worse in more recent years, but they were still fuckin' dog turds a waaaaay back :lol: 

Area 51 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

VW product is no longer premium product it once was, Last decade its really got a lot worse, However perception of buying public is Quality German engineering, Class and well built, This reputation is based on past decades and not the  stuff  we are selling

I wonder what 'really' went wrong for them? Obviously costcutting and maximising profit would eventually bite them in the ass reliability wise? But they're not complete idiots? I wonder if they thought "why are we building cars that will last 50yrs and are made of girders, when we could build cars like Renault instead?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my theory is fuel economy.......................takes hundreds of millions of pounds to research a 5mpg fuel saving...........................  costs very little to make your car 100kg lighter for same effect, Thats why they are less well built its less well engineered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

my theory is fuel economy.......................takes hundreds of millions of pounds to research a 5mpg fuel saving...........................  costs very little to make your car 100kg lighter for same effect, Thats why they are less well built its less well engineered

Exactly, and they all have to run at silly hot temps now, to stop things like DPF's and CAT's blocking up, do not believe the 88 degrees Crap on the temp gauge, have a look at the live data if you really wanna know what they run at these days ............... over 100c is not un common ;)

met likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

my theory is fuel economy.......................takes hundreds of millions of pounds to research a 5mpg fuel saving...........................  costs very little to make your car 100kg lighter for same effect, Thats why they are less well built its less well engineered

Can't be mpg in VAG's can it....;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now