Blenheim Car Sales

No one ever reads the adds at all EVER

38 posts in this topic

Been covered before  but its obvious from talking to people on my cars that the add has not in the slightest has been read, MOT Service History and Warranty questions ant yet its all covered in add wording,  

 

My question then is how are these customers forming an opinion of why they should call or come and see my  cars as apposed to other cars if they are ignorant to the add wording, It cant purely be down to pretty pictures

tradegirl likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Video's ! You're right many simply don't read what the ad says, I try to highlight the main features / selling points on the video and that definately works for me as many have told me they heard me say " xxxxxx "  on the video! Pictures help to 'grab the attention' but it's bits of all that hep and not one thing alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have recently stopped writing long-winded paragarphs waxing lyrical about each car, instead it reads (for example)

2010 (60) VW Scirocco 170 GT Manual

1 Previous Owner

163,000 Miles

Full Main Dealer History

12 Months MOT

19" Alloys

Air Con

Cruise Control

etc and then end with

2 Orginal and Working Remote Keys.

This, plus the photo and video is more than enough IMO.

I hate reading, so bullet points is the way forward as far as I am concerned.

 

 

Edited by Mark101
Area 51 and Anglo9 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes they read them!

Otherwise how did a bloke spot the "£300 finance deposit contribution" I had forgotten to remove from deep in the text on an advert last month and had to effectively deduct from my price :-)

Also something not everyone is aware of: 

AT price indicators ALSO depend on options MANUALLY TYPED inside of your advert text, not just the ones selected from the list of options.

Area 51 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people (TV comes to mind ;0) would spot a rabbit dropping in a haystack, if it was likely to be made of gold occasionally. 

Some adverts are so cluttered-thanks to the format- that it’s too dull for most to bother ploughing through.

(Anyone seen the South Park Apple Terms and Conditions episode?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Oh yes they read them!

Otherwise how did a bloke spot the "£300 finance deposit contribution" I had forgotten to remove from deep in the text on an advert last month and had to effectively deduct from my price :-)

Also something not everyone is aware of: 

AT price indicators ALSO depend on options MANUALLY TYPED inside of your advert text, not just the ones selected from the list of options.

Are you saying you add options into the vehicle description and it picks these up, or is it in addition to the choices AT give you in the boxes.. ? Bit unclear. Ta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After spending weeks looking at ads saying variations of the same thing, you learn to ignore the wallpaper, so to speak. Try buying a computer; I bet those sales guys have the same conversation.

Hello by the way; long-time lurker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a buyer on a Scirocco in here two days ago, said he came and saw mine first because of the write up. I do like to paint a picture of what it's like to own the car where possible.

As ever, in this industry, you can't be everything to everyone. There will be people who look at a few photographs and read two lines of your advert and ring and there will be people that will move on to the next advert because yours simply states a spec list of the car. Horses for courses.

Area 51 and tradegirl like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Area 51 said:

Are you saying you add options into the vehicle description and it picks these up

Yes that's correct. 

You can select the options from the list but IN ADDITION you can type other stuff and their algos are programmed to search keywords like Navigation, Media, Leather, Panoramic, Lane Keeping, Rapid charging etc etc. 

So in a short advert without most of these words the vehicle will have a slightly lower suggested retail although it may be an identical car!

Anglo9 and Area 51 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Yes that's correct. 

You can select the options from the list but IN ADDITION you can type other stuff and their algos are programmed to search keywords like Navigation, Media, Leather, Panoramic, Lane Keeping, Rapid charging etc etc. 

So in a short advert without most of these words the vehicle will have a slightly lower suggested retail although it may be an identical car!

Spot on Nick, thanks I get this now, cheers for taking the time to clarify.. Mucho Grassyarse and all that ;):D;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

Been covered before  but its obvious from talking to people on my cars that the add has not in the slightest has been read, MOT Service History and Warranty questions ant yet its all covered in add wording,  

 

My question then is how are these customers forming an opinion of why they should call or come and see my  cars as apposed to other cars if they are ignorant to the add wording, It cant purely be down to pretty pictures

still quite a lot of customers unable to view an AT add in full format on certain mobile phones, most of them unaware there is a view in full web format option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EPV said:

I had a buyer on a Scirocco in here two days ago, said he came and saw mine first because of the write up. I do like to paint a picture of what it's like to own the car where possible.

As ever, in this industry, you can't be everything to everyone. There will be people who look at a few photographs and read two lines of your advert and ring and there will be people that will move on to the next advert because yours simply states a spec list of the car. Horses for courses.

I'd agree here EPV, all things to all people is just not possible.. but I do feel adding something about ownership/being behind wheel etc will help.. its all in the mind and I have read here or somewhere, people shop with there eyes.. these days everything is online, I shop with my eyes.. so I guess that it how it goes and probably only going to get moreso.. I think with @Arfur Dealy doing the videos and lesson we have all learned there.. video / great images / spot on description with highlighted options should capture 70-80% of what they are looking for...

Time will only tell.. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we were trying to buy a car for my mother, there were 3 things we used, price, distance, colour and mileage, she just looked at the pictures, the one my mother fell in love with was one the worst ads you've ever seen, no description, terrible pictures but it was in the right price range, right mileage, etc etc..........thats why so many dealers that just plonk pictures in ads still do ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the “last price?” arseholes read an ad.

Greedy c***s don’t read ads.

Midnight email dreamers don’t read ads.

I reckon about 10% of punters are actually serious.

About half of that 10% don’t read adverts but they might buy anyway.

The remaining 5% are those who read the adverts fully.

As for videos I think about 50% of the last 5% actually watch them FULLY.

Quite why so few of the general public fail to arm themselves with as much relevant information as possible, by simply reading the ad & watching a 3 to 4 minute video, is beyond me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BHM said:

As for videos I think about 50% of the last 5% actually watch them FULLY.

+1 AND a lot of people that watch used  car videos watch them at work with the sound fully OFF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a car buyer who hasn't changed their vehicle for a few years and are looking on your new mobile via AT / eBay app its really difficult to find the sellers description, let alone a video..... Its like, they are designed to make it as difficult as possible for the customer to find the important info like ( the sellers actual description ). Instead, they are bombarded with FINANCE FINANCE FINANCE, HPI etc...... AT is solely designed to give them more revenue, not to enhance the sellers advert, or make it easy for them.... its all about AT and whats best for them....... and we are BITCHES to them....

Area 51 and TangoVictor32 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

+1 AND a lot of people that watch used  car videos watch them at work with the sound fully OFF. 

I agree, some do skim through it, either because they're not that really interested or its simply inconvenient, or they are on the move, busy etc .. But, when told, to sit down if they want to save time and money they either watch it fully or disappear...... The light is then either turned on, or they realise they can't waste my time on a “Looky Looky whim” without paying me £100.

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to start writing "this car hasn't got a panoramic roof or satellite navigation or leather interior" to see if i can get any more money! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blame technology and society. 

People don't want to read any more or even type.  They're becoming lazy.

Facebook even has preloaded messages on market place "isit still for sale?" "fsh?" etc and you just have to click. 

People say things like this make life easier. But is really typing a sentence making life hard?

On FB people just spam "i want car £2000 to spend" yet people spam them with cars £5k+ this is an example of BOTH lazy and thick people. 

In another thread about payment methods, there's the mention of cash. Yet cash is seen as criminal nowadays. It isnt though. Technology has made people lazy people are unable to count money these days especially big wads.

There's videos on YouTube about how cashless China is already. You can pay a street vendor via your phone by scanning his barcode. 

As an ex copper yes some crime can be committed with hard cash. Yet even more crime can be committed with electronic methods such as contactless cards, fraud and the dark underworld of bitcoin. 

Technology will mean authorities will control your business. I dont just mean tax. Electronic payment and online advertising - if you been a bad boy at the click of a button your accounts could be frozen or even your site blocked. 

20 years from now and a lot of people will be unable to read and write and this will be due to incomptency and laziness thanks to technology. 

 

trade vet likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

 

20 years from now and a lot of people will be unable to read and write and this will be due to incomptency and laziness thanks to technology. 

 

If that is the case then it won't be a bad thing and they will be great with the advanced tech that is available. The world changes, embrace it you can't get off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

If that is the case then it won't be a bad thing and they will be great with the advanced tech that is available. The world changes, embrace it you can't get off. 

The kids are certainly embracing the advanced tech where we are.We have a pitch very close to what has been judged for the second time as the worst high street destination in the U.K.Its not that bad compared with some London Boroughs etc.The other day a ladies hairdresser who trades on the high street was showing off his new novelty toy a recentish Lamborghini with his salon logo on the doors.I was thinking that cannot be right etc,but no I am informed that apparently he does cracking business.The kids from ‘ the projects’ to use US terminology, in their quest to become reality TV stars or FB influencers are paying £250 for hair extensions and Botox injections which supposedly are also very popular and expensive.....You cannot make it up,I am with Tango Victor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

If that is the case then it won't be a bad thing and they will be great with the advanced tech that is available. The world changes, embrace it you can't get off. 

really?

even the sunday times makes many many errors in its copy because spell check is not used correctly,how many times do you read on here breaks for brakes,we have a great language and the old sayings are still true,use it or lose it,even my wife prefers to txt rather than to actually speaking on a phone

sad days ahead,remember if the kids of today would rather be in their bedrooms on a games machine rather than fixing an old clock or playing with meccano then the engineers of the future will not properly understand metallurgy and or boeing planes that become too technology driven to the point they crash

 

just sayin...........................

David Horgan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capital letters at the start of sentences anyone? ;o)

I’d agree with you otherwise, but I think in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter. Language is constantly changing and evolving. In it Bruv. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now