met

Alloy wheel repair

Recommended Posts

So, annoyingly I have acquired a dented rim from a pot hole. Can it be repaired? It's still holding air and isn't cracked. I'm tempted to give it a whack but my tyre guy said stay away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, met said:

So, annoyingly I have acquired a dented rim from a pot hole. Can it be repaired? It's still holding air and isn't cracked. I'm tempted to give it a whack but my tyre guy said stay away!

Give it a smack with a plastic mallet. 

I use a heat gun to warm the area a little first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stalker said:

Give it a smack with a plastic mallet. 

I use a heat gun to warm the area a little first. 

As above, I personally use a blow torch though, 98% of the time it works, I did crack a Range Rover wheel once though but other than that usuall successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

every wheel is different so each one needs individual appraisal because if you get it wrong someone could die

That's very true, and considering I'm 'smoking' this car, that dead person could be me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Screenman said:

Most tyre companies around these parts have the machines to straighten them, from memory about £35 a wheel.

never seen one,still if it can it needs to have someone who knows how to use it,i wouldnt want the responsibility if it later turned out to have a hairline crack 

reminds me of when i took an ecu into the local ecu centre as the keys had been lost but this car was started with a keypad,the guy said its £90 whether i can get the code or not and i went no thanks,why? because he could go round the back turn a hoover on for 2 minutes then come back and say computer say no...........kerching

bought a s/h kit off the early days of ebay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Covanhill powder coaters Near the Forth in Scotland are excellent to if anyone on here is local to them used them a few times 01555 811 219 

 

Edited by Casper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/07/2019 at 11:16 AM, jason doyle motor sales said:

never seen one,still if it can it needs to have someone who knows how to use it,i wouldnt want the responsibility if it later turned out to have a hairline crack 

reminds me of when i took an ecu into the local ecu centre as the keys had been lost but this car was started with a keypad,the guy said its £90 whether i can get the code or not and i went no thanks,why? because he could go round the back turn a hoover on for 2 minutes then come back and say computer say no...........kerching

bought a s/h kit off the early days of ebay 

You have been lucky, very lucky I have had a good few straightened, as I said most tyre places will have the machine as they are only a few grand to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...