stockedup!

What's the biggest blow......

Recommended Posts

….that you have suffered on a car that you bought to retail?

 

I blew 3 grand on a 5 grand Zafira a few tears back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stockedup! said:

….that you have suffered on a car that you bought to retail?

 

I blew 3 grand on a 5 grand Zafira a few tears back!

Quite a few tears I would imagine!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David Ayers said:

Quite a few tears I would imagine!

What could go wrong did, my own fault for not biting the bullet earlier!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Quite a few tears I would imagine!

Bought an old what i thought was cheap low mileage astra once about 11 years ago when i thought i knew everything To use as a smoker for a few months ended up about 2 grand into covering all possibles when doing the head gasket new oil cooler etc etc  mechanics cost thing was never right wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding used it 6 months got rid for £600 at auction found out the guy that bought it got problems with it aswell did pumps injectors etc was no better and scrapped it after a year . 

Must have been the dearest astra ever was about 8 years old at the time was selling some four and five year old cars for less than the total tht went into that with  purchase price etc  

guess the big tow-bar and ball show have been the giveaway . 

1 hour ago, stockedup! said:

What could go wrong did, my own fault for not biting the bullet earlier!

Same as the astra i should just have stuck a second hand engine in it at the time but was only showing 82k miles with history 

Edited by Casper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, stockedup! said:

….that you have suffered on a car that you bought to retail?

 

I blew 3 grand on a 5 grand Zafira a few tears back!

It will be interesting to see the response on this one.Motor dealers nature in general is not to own up to their cock ups and losses.I would not no where to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current one is £3000 odd into repairing a rear diff on an Insignia vxr , it’s been in thorney motorsport in England for well over a month now. 

First and last time I’ll touch one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, trade vet said:

It will be interesting to see the response on this one.Motor dealers nature in general is not to own up to their cock ups and losses.I would not no where to start.

If you don't get a few you're not trying hard enough, funny though I have had allsorts of oddballs and come out very well on the vast majority of them. It is an inevitable part of the job though I think the Zafira was quite a blow on such a low value vehicle..... onwards and upwards though eh!!

23 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

Took in a 630i convertible that I was sure id hpi’d, I didn’t, £3k loss 

At least it didn't have a lump of drip on it Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

My current one is £3000 odd into repairing a rear diff on an Insignia vxr , it’s been in thorney motorsport in England for well over a month now. 

First and last time I’ll touch one of them.

I hope you've got a lump across it Mark!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got 2 at the moment

An Astra 1.4 Turbo burning so much oil I could stick an Audi/VW badge on it! Needs an engine probably £1000 loss

A Passat 2.0 diesel blowing light smoke out the back after a couple of miles. Tried all sorts. Lastest guess is a DPF. Main dealer only, £1500 (that won't be happening) £2000 + loss

15 hours ago, stockedup! said:

If you don't get a few you're not trying hard enough,

I think I might be trying too hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, stockedup! said:

….that you have suffered on a car that you bought to retail?

 

I blew 3 grand on a 5 grand Zafira a few tears back!

I’m intrigued. How on earth can you blow £3000 on a Zafira without burning it out?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Got 2 at the moment

An Astra 1.4 Turbo burning so much oil I could stick an Audi/VW badge on it! Needs an engine probably £1000 loss

A Passat 2.0 diesel blowing light smoke out the back after a couple of miles. Tried all sorts. Lastest guess is a DPF. Main dealer only, £1500 (that won't be happening) £2000 + loss

I think I might be trying too hard.

Sending you some good luck David hope you get it sorted..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold a cooper s to a good mate over the weekend. He has just rang me to say oil light flashing and its overheating. Oil light flashing so likely blocked pick up pipe if im lucky no engine damage but then if its overheating it might be new engine time anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had an 06 plate golf GTI with a battery drain issue it was in stock for over two years at our storage compound as our mechanics were dumbfounded. finally sorted it, ended up owing us nearly £8k (Inc Purchase price) only sold it for £4700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

new car and everything ....................   would he have been driving this mini cooper S to within an inch of its life like  all weekend  and  thats why its overheated ......................  new car thrills and all that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Sold a cooper s to a good mate over the weekend. He has just rang me to say oil light flashing and its overheating. Oil light flashing so likely blocked pick up pipe if im lucky no engine damage but then if its overheating it might be new engine time anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Couldn't have been that good a mate if you sold him one of them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

new car and everything ....................   would he have been driving this mini cooper S to within an inch of its life like  all weekend  and  thats why its overheated ......................  new car thrills and all that

Id like to try that one. Unfortunately i only delivered it to him on Sunday and i know he didn't have it insured till this morning when he called me on his way in.

1 minute ago, David Ayers said:

Couldn't have been that good a mate if you sold him one of them!

I love them make up 40% of my stock at any one time and are by far my best seller ( Although we occasionally have issues as per my buyers remorse post). Have had a really good run of them lately with no issues other than a timing chain tensioner - Easy fix. Just typical its the one that goes to a mate that is potentially knackered.

Who dosent want 200bhp with no turbo lag and only weighing 1050kg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Id like to try that one. Unfortunately i only delivered it to him on Sunday and i know he didn't have it insured till this morning when he called me on his way in.

I love them make up 40% of my stock at any one time and are by far my best seller ( Although we occasionally have issues as per my buyers remorse post). Have had a really good run of them lately with no issues other than a timing chain tensioner - Easy fix. Just typical its the one that goes to a mate that is potentially knackered.

Who dosent want 200bhp with no turbo lag and only weighing 1050kg

I was going to ask if it was a different mini JA .?

Edited by Casper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Casper said:

I was going to ask if it was a different mini JA .?

Yeah it is the "Buyers Remorse" mini is back in the garage just going through some cleaning to get it back up for sale.

Shame as well this one i sold to my mate is the dogs danglies spec wise. Full leather, Nav, Panaroamic Roof, LSD, Heated screen and automatic lights and wipers.

Worst comes to the worst i will throw an engine in it for him.

I swear i do okay of minis it just dosent sound like it when im on here :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Yeah it is the "Buyers Remorse" mini is back in the garage just going through some cleaning to get it back up for sale.

Shame as well this one i sold to my mate is the dogs danglies spec wise. Full leather, Nav, Panaroamic Roof, LSD, Heated screen and automatic lights and wipers.

Worst comes to the worst i will throw an engine in it for him.

I swear i do okay of minis it just dosent sound like it when im on here :)

No I get what your saying some times things just happen like that sell 6 good ones get 2 bad ones as a mate of mine says it is what it is . :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Casper said:

No I get what your saying some times things just happen like that sell 6 good ones get 2 bad ones as a mate of mine says it is what it is . :)

Indeed i reckon i have shifted 14/15 of these and this is my first two issues within two months of each other.

Worst part is i really looked after the mate of mine on price so looks like ill be set to loose money on this one unless i can find a breaker with some toys to sell on.

ill have a proper chat with him later see what he wants to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Yeah it is the "Buyers Remorse" mini is back in the garage just going through some cleaning to get it back up for sale.

Shame as well this one i sold to my mate is the dogs danglies spec wise. Full leather, Nav, Panaroamic Roof, LSD, Heated screen and automatic lights and wipers.

Worst comes to the worst i will throw an engine in it for him.

I swear i do okay of minis it just dosent sound like it when im on here :)

We did have a run of Cooper S and JCW Minis over last two years , must have rebuilt at least 10 of the bloody things , piston rings stick , timing chain and tensioners , Turbo feed pipes , Gummed up with Carbon ,New plugs  just to name a few problems :angry: Bloody things are a pain in the arse , but We've always made money out of them , Too high in the miles and to cheap  now though to spend money on , Shame . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

We did have a run of Cooper S and JCW Minis over last two years , must have rebuilt at least 10 of the bloody things , piston rings stick , timing chain and tensioners , Turbo feed pipes , Gummed up with Carbon ,New plugs  just to name a few problems :angry: Bloody things are a pain in the arse , but We've always made money out of them , Too high in the miles and to cheap  now though to spend money on , Shame . 

I think this is the thoughts of a lot of traders now. The prices for well spec and decent mileage ones are still very strong especially if it has that JCW badge on. Then at the same time there is loads in the market with to many miles so its easy to get hold of a parts car or 5. I have basically ended up with a second business breaking donor cars. Brought one this morning for the body kit alone shame its not an S though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a 2009 80k corsa sold within a day

3 days later bidded online and bought a 2010 Corsa with 50k and it over heated and engine died on motorway on the way back from BCA

Auctioned it off and took a loss of £500

Why do they still make cars with no temperature needles? If you know its over heating you can pull over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.