JA Trader

Smokers Cars

Recommended Posts

Had a bit of a mad moment yesterday afternoon and i have ended up with a convertible A4 (So stupid this late in the year) But it was really cheap and had amazing history.

Anyway its a smokers car as well to top it all of.

What do you suggest to get rid of the smell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Had a bit of a mad moment yesterday afternoon and i have ended up with a convertible A4 (So stupid this late in the year) But it was really cheap and had amazing history.

Anyway its a smokers car as well to top it all of.

What do you suggest to get rid of the smell.

I'm in the same boat at the moment.  We used to use some kind of chemical burn, comes in a tin, you place it on the floor for about an hour and let the burning chemicals do their magic.  I just can't for the life of me remember what the thing was called!!  It was pretty good to.

I'm going to have another look around today as we need some more so if I find it i'll post a link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Earunder said:

I'm in the same boat at the moment.  We used to use some kind of chemical burn, comes in a tin, you place it on the floor for about an hour and let the burning chemicals do their magic.  I just can't for the life of me remember what the thing was called!!  It was pretty good to.

I'm going to have another look around today as we need some more so if I find it i'll post a link.

Thanks. I have given it a wet vac and left it in the garage with the roof half open. Now my garage smells of smoke as well of the car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I have used with some success was an O3 Generator.

The thing is deadly leathal mind.

Plug it in for an hour or 2 with all windows shut, then open fully and don't go near it again for a day.

I sold a BMW cab 18 months ago that stank of smoke and used this. It came back in PX 1 month ago and it still smells of O3 (Ozone) but no smoke.

Tried it on a C3 a while back though and for whatever reason, it hasn't done such a good job. Perhaps I need to do it again but the thing is scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used a Dakota odour bomb a few times, you can buy them on Amazon. They’ve been pretty effective but I guess it depends on how bad it is. Also leaves a kind of sickly sweet smell in its place but I’ve always sold the cars and never had any comments on the smell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

The only thing I have used with some success was an O3 Generator.

The thing is deadly leathal mind.

Plug it in for an hour or 2 with all windows shut, then open fully and don't go near it again for a day.

I sold a BMW cab 18 months ago that stank of smoke and used this. It came back in PX 1 month ago and it still smells of O3 (Ozone) but no smoke.

Tried it on a C3 a while back though and for whatever reason, it hasn't done such a good job. Perhaps I need to do it again but the thing is scary.

Found one of these for sale fairly cheap will buy it and give it a go on the cheap.

Thanks for the info will report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Found one of these for sale fairly cheap will buy it and give it a go on the cheap.

Thanks for the info will report back.

I think mine was only about £65 - £85 off Amazon Prime (NEW)

Your car will smell like a swimming pool and DO NOT breathe it in.

Park it outside with everything open for a day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get the fog machine from ebay and liquid with different scents for about £62 would be useful for other cars my local car wash uses them it it makes the car smell lovely 123598207206 is the item number and you get a bottle of scent with it would be useful for other cars 

I've used the air con bombs which I thought were ok for the money £9.49 the item number is 142847355524 worth a try 

Also a lot of Valeters use and recommend enzyme cleaner cause it creates its own good bacterias because they say shampoo makes it worst creating moisture apparently the good bacteria eats the bad is the science off 

spray it in and dry it off with wet vac or towel 

It's about a tenner of ebay item number 230706307739

hope this helps good luck . 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Casper said:

You can get the fog machine from ebay and liquid with different scents for about £62 would be useful for other cars my local car wash uses them it it makes the car smell lovely 123598207206 is the item number and you get a bottle of scent with it would be useful for other cars 

I've used the air con bombs which I thought were ok for the money £9.49 the item number is 142847355524 worth a try 

Also a lot of Valeters use and recommend enzyme cleaner cause it creates its own good bacterias because they say shampoo makes it worst creating moisture apparently the good bacteria eats the bad is the science off 

spray it in and dry it off with wet vac or towel 

It's about a tenner of ebay item number 230706307739

hope this helps good luck . 

 

 

Thanks for the info i like the look of the fog machine. I dont mind investing some money in something like this to keep around worth it in the long run.

I am waiting for a response to my offer on a Ozone machine if they decline ill try a fog machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to have a fogging machine, basically like a dry ice maker used at Discotheque. It came as part of my SMART repair kit and yes, it looked impressive and it was "revolutionary" back in the day. The fact is, as with any air freshener, it fades over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at autoshine Blackpool on YouTube he has a video on there about car with odour he recommends that autobrite enzyme cleaner worth a try for a tenner that's the one he uses in the video but he says the auto smart one is good also 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have an autosmart rep they can lend you a fogger machine and buy a cartridge. Gets rid of most smokey smells.

Smokers cars tend to be becoming rarer thankfully.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

If you have an autosmart rep they can lend you a fogger machine and buy a cartridge. Gets rid of most smokey smells.

Smokers cars tend to be becoming rarer thankfully.

Thanks for the info Rory . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have used a company called Biosweep in Sussex.  I think they are franchising out so may cover your area.  Only thing I have ever found that removes smoke smells and spilt milk (that was nasty)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pour milk on the carpet. close the car. go back 3 days later, it wont smell of smoke anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MattR said:

Pour milk on the carpet. close the car. go back 3 days later, it wont smell of smoke anymore.

Or put 6 airfreshners in it old guy I knew bought a car from a main dealer when the smell of them wore off it stank of dog he ended up selling it cause his family hated it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Earunder said:

I'm in the same boat at the moment.  We used to use some kind of chemical burn, comes in a tin, you place it on the floor for about an hour and let the burning chemicals do their magic.  I just can't for the life of me remember what the thing was called!!  It was pretty good to.

I'm going to have another look around today as we need some more so if I find it i'll post a link.

Airvidox - Can't remember the reps name but I think we paid about £12.50

If you want to try it out, you can get it on amazon @  
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Odour-Remover-Airvidox-Cigarette/dp/B076HBYDSD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=airvidox&qid=1568814145&sr=8-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Febreze do a spray particularly for tobacco smell, I used it in a Yeti, got rid of the smell, sold the car don't know if the smoke smell ever came back. All I can say the customer never came back to complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mark101 said:

The only thing I have used with some success was an O3 Generator.

The thing is deadly leathal mind.

Plug it in for an hour or 2 with all windows shut, then open fully and don't go near it again for a day.

I sold a BMW cab 18 months ago that stank of smoke and used this. It came back in PX 1 month ago and it still smells of O3 (Ozone) but no smoke.

Tried it on a C3 a while back though and for whatever reason, it hasn't done such a good job. Perhaps I need to do it again but the thing is scary.

Have you cleaned it, some have plates inside and if they get dirty they do not generate enough if any ozone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Screenman said:

Have you cleaned it, some have plates inside and if they get dirty they do not generate enough if any ozone.

I have only used it the once before the C3 (that BMW), so I am hoping it doesn't need cleaning yet.

It still made it smell like a swimming pool though :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 2:43 PM, Earunder said:

Airvidox - Can't remember the reps name but I think we paid about £12.50

If you want to try it out, you can get it on amazon @  
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Odour-Remover-Airvidox-Cigarette/dp/B076HBYDSD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=airvidox&qid=1568814145&sr=8-1

No rubbish now.  Smell has already returned, yet with now a exotic cat smell tinge.  :blink:

Turned back to the Atom Machine from Euro Car Parts.  Will update with how it gets on.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Address Diesel Generator Smoke And Prolong Your Generators Life!
Diesel smoke is an engine symptom which indicates that an engine is not running well, and should be taken as an warning that there may be a problem that could potentially shorten the engine life or increase operating costs unless prompt remedial action is taken.

The smoke may be caused by a simple problem, poor combustion efficiency or from excessive idling, stop start operation or short run times. At the other end of the scale, it may be your last chance to act, before a catastrophic engine failure occurs (e.g. piston seizure, valve or turbocharger failure). Under most operating conditions, a diesel engine in good condition should produce no visible smoke from the exhaust.

A short puff of smoke when an engine is suddenly loaded may be acceptable to older technology diesel engine. This is due to the lag before the turbocharger speed and air flow is able to match the volume of diesel injected into the cylinders. In modern diesel engines, no smoke at all should be evident.

TYPES OF GENERATOR SMOKE
BLACK SMOKE is the most common smoke emitted from diesel engines. It indicates poor and incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel. Black smoke is high in carbon or soot, which is an undesirable product of diesel combustion.

There are many causes, including:

• Incorrect timing 
• Injectors sticking open 
• Over-fuelling
• Faulty turbocharger
• Incorrect valve clearances
• Incorrect air/fuel ratio
• Low cylinder compression (e.g. sticking piston rings or worn components)
• Dirty air cleaner
• Restricted induction system (system too small or kinked inlet piping)
• Dirty intake manifolds
• Poor quality fuel
• Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces
• Cool operating temperatures
Obviously, worn or damaged components must be replaced, and the  تیرآهن 18 earlier you identify and fix the problem, the less damage will be done. It is important to keep on top of engine tune issues, including valve adjustments and, regular servicing of air, fuel and oil filters.

BLUE SMOKE is an indication of engine oil being burnt.

This oil can enter the combustion chamber for several reasons:

• Worn valve guides or seals
• Wear in power assemblies (i.e. cylinders, piston rings, ring grooves)
• Cylinder glaze
• Piston rings sticking
• Faulty turbocharger seals
• Incorrect grade of oil 
• Fuel dilution in the oil

At cold start, blue smoke is often evident, and can reflect reduced oil control due to fouling deposits around piston rings or cylinders. Blue smoke should not be evident at any time, but it is worth noting, that engines with good compression can burn quite a lot of oil without evidence of blue smoke. Good compression allows oil to burn cleanly, as part of the fuel.

WHITE SMOKE occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned.

Some causes of this include:
• Faulty or damaged injectors
• Incorrect injection timing or worn timing gear
• Low cylinder compression (possibly caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or glazed cylinder bores

If white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes of this are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke.

Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

BLOWBY SMOKE This is the emission of crankcase pressure, fumes and smoke out of the crankcase ventilation system, and is generally regarded as a clear indication of an urgently needed and expensive engine rebuild.

It is evident as pressure coming out the crankcase ventilation tube, valve cover breather or dipstick tube. Engine oil leaks can also result from excessive cylinder blowby, as the excess pressure finds the weakest point.

Some causes include:
• Sticking piston rings
• Worn cylinders
• Worn or broken piston rings
• Cracked pistons
Explore our all Maintenance Services here. 

If you would like free advice on your generator please contact our team either by email or telephone on the information shown below and they will be happy to help / advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.