MarkTVS

Cars on your don’t buy list?

Every day, Digital Trends is testing cars and pitting them against their closest competitors. Out of this fray rise the cream of the crop for each segment. We routinely round up the best of each category — whether it be sedans, SUVs, or hybrids — but it was high time that we rounded up all our favorites in one convenient place so you can see the best of the best at a glance. Without further ado, here are the Digital Trends picks for the best cars overall.

The best compact car: Mazda3
2019 Mazda Mazda3 AWD review
Why should you buy this: It’s an economy car with a soul.

Who’s it for: People who want more than just basic transportation.

How much will it cost: $21,000+

Why we picked the Mazda3:

The Mazda3 is the kind of car other automakers should be building. It’s a regular compact economy car that emphasizes style and driving dynamics in a way that most of the competition doesn’t. Many regular cars feel like appliances, but not this one.

Available as a four-door sedan or five-door hatchback, the Mazda 3 isn’t particularly fast, but it’s very nice to drive. The steering and suspension respond with an immediacy other cars in this class lack, as do Mazda’s Skyactiv four-cylinder engines. All models and trim levels get a 2.5-liter engine, which sends 186 horsepower and 186 pound-feet of torque to the front wheels through six-speed manual or automatic transmissions. All wheel drive is also available.

Mazda’s Kodo design language yields a car that is handsome and distinctive, without resorting to excessive styling gimmicks. Current Mazda interiors are admittedly a bit plain, but the 3’s cabin is sensibly designed, and Mazda’s rotary knob infotainment controller is easy to use.

Like many mainstream cars these days, the 3 is also available with an array of electronic driver aids, including adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, autonomous emergency braking, and traffic sign recognition.

The best luxury car: Mercedes-Benz S-Class
2018 mercedes amg s 63 4matic review 13367
Why should you buy this: It’s the luxury sedan that says, “I’ve made it.”

Who’s it for: Executives, entrepreneurs, rappers.

How much will it cost: $91,250+ (sedan)

Why we picked the Mercedes-Benz S-Class:

The S-Class has served as the flagship of the Mercedes-Benz lineup for decades.  تیرآهن 16  “It has long been the measuring stick by which luxury cars are judged,” we wrote when we drove the newest version of it. It’s well into its sixth generation, but it was recently updated with minor visual tweaks, new engines that use less gas, and a lot more tech features under the skin.

Living up to its motto, “the best or nothing,” Mercedes ensured the S is comfortable regardless of whether the owner is driving or being driven. The sedan coddles its occupants with a spacious, well-lit cabin that’s as quiet as a bank vault, and it offers some of the most comfortable seats you’ll ever sit in.

There’s an S-Class to suit every luxury buyer’s need. The lineup includes an entry-level model with a six-cylinder under the hood, a V8-powered model, an immensely powerful variant made by Mercedes-AMG, and a pair of ultra-luxurious Maybach-badged models. In addition to the sedan, Mercedes offers S-Class coupe and convertible models.

The best Hybrid: Toyota Prius
2019 Toyota Prius
Why should you buy this: The Prius continues to define the hybrid category in most every way.

Who’s it for: Anyone who hates visiting the gas station.

How much will it cost: $23,770+

Why we picked the Toyota Prius:

The name “Prius” is synonymous with “hybrid,” and for good reason. Toyota’s bestselling hybrid continues to prioritize fuel economy above all else, and though efficiency is its main goal, the Prius doesn’t ask buyers to make any major compromises — except maybe in the styling department.

The Prius is the most fuel-efficient hybrid around, getting an Environmental Protection Agency-rated 56 mpg combined in Eco trim. That’s thanks to Toyota’s tried-and-true Hybrid Synergy Drive system, and a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine that achieves a 40 percent thermal efficiency, which is much higher than most engines. The Prius also achieves a very low drag coefficient of 0.24, meaning it has fairly low aerodynamic drag, which helps improve efficiency. Toyota’s designers managed to do that while maintaining a roomy cabin and useful hatchback shape.

The current-generation Prius is also appreciably sportier than previous models, thanks to changes like a lower center of gravity and a more sophisticated double-wishbone independent rear suspension system. Like other Toyota models, the Prius also gets the Toyota Safety Sense suite of driver-assistance features (including adaptive cruise control and a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection) as standard equipment.

The Prius is still a fuel economy champ, but the current version’s emphasis on sporty handling and technology make it a better all-around car than ever before.

The best hatchback: Volkswagen Golf
best hatchbacks vw golf lifestyle
Why should you buy this: The Golf ticks every box in the mainstream hatchback segment.

Who’s it for: Anyone who just needs a car.

How much will it cost: $21,845+

Why we picked the Volkswagen Golf:

The Volkswagen Golf hasn’t been the bestselling car in Germany for decades by accident. Now well into its seventh generation, Volkswagen’s most popular nameplate continues to offer one of the best interiors in its class, a generous amount of trunk space, and agile handling at an attractive price point.

The Golf speaks tech, too. All but the lowest trims come with a state-of-the-art infotainment  تیرآهن 18 system displayed on a color touch screen, and the list of options includes driving aids such as a lane departure warning system, forward collision warning, and adaptive cruise control. You can even get a digital instrument cluster, which is normally found on much more expensive cars.

Volkswagen offers several variants of the Golf. Buyers in select states can pick up an all-electric model called the e-Golf that’s capable of driving for up to 125 miles on a single charge. At the other end of the spectrum, the iconic GTI is one of the very best hot hatches money can buy. Finally, the Golf R tugs at the heartstrings of speed aficionados with a 300-horsepower turbo four and all-wheel drive.

The best sports car: Audi R8 V10 Plus
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus
Miles Branman/Digital Trends
Why should you buy this: It’s the everyday supercar.

Who’s it for: Those who want high performance without sacrificing comfort.

How much will it cost: $189,900

Why we picked the Audi R8 V10 Plus:

The 2017 Audi R8 is an anomaly. Audi has built a car that’s as refined as a luxury two-door with the power of a hypercar.

The low-slung coupe uses sharp creases, carbon fiber accents, and a mid-engine layout to distinguish itself from lesser sports cars, but it doesn’t command attention in the same way as rivals. Its 5.2-liter V10 delivers 610 horsepower and 413 pound-feet of torque to all four wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Acceleration is blistering: 0 to 60 mph takes less than 3.0 seconds and top speed is a blazing-fast 205 mph.

Within the cabin, occupants are treated to a magnificent engine wail and class-leading convenience features. Audi’s 12.3-inch Virtual Cockpit display gives drivers access to every vehicle function and reduces clutter. Audi Drive Select adjusts suspension damping to transform ride quality from mellow to aggressive in an instant. It’s not just fast and sharp; it’s high-tech, too.

At the sub-$200,000 price point, the Audi R8 V10 Plus invites challenges from McLaren’s 570S, Porsche’s 911 Turbo S, Acura’s NSX, Aston Martin’s V12 Vantage S, and Mercedes-AMG’s GT R. Each vehicle is astoundingly quick, attractive, and desirable, but the R8 is the only supercar that’s as thrilling on a track as it is in a neighborhood.

just Taken a Dodge Journeyman or some rubbish in part ex. Just driven it 2 miles and the gearbox shat itself. 2 and a half grand down the swanny. Lovely start to the week.

7 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

just Taken a Dodge Journeyman or some rubbish in part ex. Just driven it 2 miles and the gearbox shat itself. 2 and a half grand down the swanny. Lovely start to the week.

Sorry to hear that mate - just what you need on a Monday morning.  Best or worst job in the world.

They're VW engines and boxes no?

13 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Not so good mate 

22 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Sorry to hear that mate - just what you need on a Monday morning.  Best or worst job in the world.

They're VW engines and boxes no?

Well fork 1 and fork 4 permanent fault. Hoping it can somehow be reset and just needs fluid. I’ll throw it into the block I guess if I can get it going.

58 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Oh shit, terrible. Lovely punters, at least you shouldn’t hear back from them regarding any warranty issues. If you don’t entertain a repair keep it for a few weeks & any complaints just bounce it back into them. 

On a more light hearted note perhaps ahanhyper can give us some useful insight into this problem? 

• Haha 1

Well the customer turned up today. Drove 15 miles to drop off the locking wheel nut and bought an 18 month extended warranty on the Q7 he bought from us.... 

his such a lovely customer I don’t even feel he knew it had a problem, or it even had a problem when I turned up.

when I test drove it, it was fine..... just pure bad luck on this one I think. He just seemed far too innocent and nice.

4 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Not a good start to your week my friend . Hope it work out for you with the oil change and reset . 

1 hour ago, chrishowie said:

I try and avoid anything VAG. Over priced and always major issues.....

VAG stuff is good when its had a Chain Kit , guides , tensioners , oil service , New Manifold on the petrols ,  EGR On the diesels , turbo rebuild , DSG box sorted out .Oh new engine on the 1.4 super charged /turbo engines  Long as VAG parts are fitted it just about allows you to break even as long as you pay labour and do it yourself .

:D

24 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Not a good start to your week my friend . Hope it work out for you with the oil change and reset . 

VAG stuff is good when its had a Chain Kit , guides , tensioners , oil service , New Manifold on the petrols ,  EGR On the diesels , turbo rebuild , DSG box sorted out .Oh new engine on the 1.4 super charged /turbo engines  Long as VAG parts are fitted it just about allows you to break even as long as you pay labour and do it yourself .

New doorlocks, steering racks, ignition key systems and wiring looms come in handy too from what my VW guru tells me:D

All our vag stuff is decent. Not sure what all the fuss is about. We sell bundles of it and have hardly no issues

12 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

All our vag stuff is decent. Not sure what all the fuss is about. We sell bundles of it and have hardly no issues

What about the punters on them? 

13 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

To be fair, I have had a couple of DPF/EGR issues but other than that, VAG has done ok for me.

But......I am so bored of answering the timing belt question.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mark101 said:

But......I am so bored of answering the timing belt question.

Depressingly even when you answer “Yes” with these guys it leads nowhere.

’Cambelt men’ aren’t buyers.

23 hours ago, BHM said:

What about the punters on them? 

No different to your mini / Volvo / fiat 500 customers.... they are all liars lol 

On 10/28/2019 at 1:09 PM, David Horgan said:

hehe good point