Sign in to follow this  
D&M

08 SEAT Ibiza Speedo

Hi All,

We've got an '08 Seat Ibiza 1.4 in at the moment (the 02-08 shape).

Just come to move it today and the speedo has dropped below 0.

Typically just as we've got someone on it!

When taking the car for a drive, the speedo works but reads 15MPH or so below your actual speed, and the speedo and rev counter sometimes go up in jerky movements rather than smoothly.

We've just replaced the battery, plugged it in to our Autel handheld scanner and no fault codes. Everything else seems to work as it should.

Bloody VAG cars!

Has anyone had this before? Anything to check?

Advice and experiance welcomed (and much appreciated!)

Thank you!

They are also bad for the solders on the dials drying out and cracking causing cluster issues, haven’t had one do that in a few years right enough though.

we used to send them away to get reconditioned.

Do you have an inquisitive kind? 

if so, get the clocks out and strip the front off and play with the dial until it reads correctly? 

Or the most sensible option would be to get a decent diagnostic computer with live data, set the 4 speed sensors onto a graph and see if any are irregular?

35 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Or the most sensible option would be to get a decent diagnostic computer with live data, set the 4 speed sensors onto a graph and see if any are irregular?

Presuming there isn’t an abs light on, the speedo will only use one of the wheel speed sensors to calculate vehicle speed. 

it sounds more like a fault with the clocks as the fault is on with engine off and vehicle stationary. 

24 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Presuming there isn’t an abs light on, the speedo will only use one of the wheel speed sensors to calculate vehicle speed. 

it sounds more like a fault with the clocks as the fault is on with engine off and vehicle stationary. 

Yeah but it would certainly rule that angle out if they are all reading correctly it’s more conclusive proof that the fault lies in the cluster?

Thanks for all the responses so far. Much appreciated! - I'll plug it in tomorrow and have a look at the live data on the Speed Sensor to make sure thats A-Ok

There are no warning lights on the dash. Car has only covered 78k.

When we first got the car it was working as it should, just dropped off 0 after coming to move it after being sat a couple of days. It's sitting about 1cm below where it should, and very odd that they are both sometimes moving smoothy and sometimes jerky.

When you turn on and off the ignition, the speedo a rev counter both move 1mm as they should... Just the blinking speedo isn't doing it in the right place!

Why don't they make speedos with the little pins on the outside that the needle rests on anymore!

Thanks again!

Just an update...

Check the Speed Sensor on live data and its working Ok.

Looks like it'll be a cluster fault. We've never had to send off a cluster to be repaired, so would appreciate any recomendations!

Thanks again

A daft one but it immediately sprang to mind on an oldie like this. Are you sure the cluster’s not been out before & someone’s hidden a light or two? This car must be an ideal candidate for this sort of nefarious activity.

Juddering can be caused by the printed backing face being stood slightly proud & catching the back of the needle. Also, very occasionally if a speedo needle was moved & reset they would want to go return to a minus position - God only knows why. The only way to cure was set the needle to a plus position (say 15 mph), plug-in the clocks with the clear screen removed and repeatedly stop, start & momentarily use the car and play around with the needle position until it stabilised, replace the screen & then you’re sorted.

3 hours ago, BHM said:

A daft one but it immediately sprang to mind on an oldie like this. Are you sure the cluster’s not been out before & someone’s hidden a light or two? This car must be an ideal candidate for this sort of nefarious activity.

Juddering can be caused by the printed backing face being stood slightly proud & catching the back of the needle. 

:lol:.....you just reminded me of a 156 (?) I had come in px ohh, must be 10 years ago now.

.... Speedo would stop at 70mph then stick there for a while until, going over a ok large bump or dash clouted with hand.....I'm embarrassed to write that it took us more time than it should of to suss out that big blob of Bku-Tak over an idiot light. :(

6 hours ago, BHM said:

Juddering can be caused by the printed backing face being stood slightly proud & catching the back of the needle. Also, very occasionally if a speedo needle was moved & reset they would want to go return to a minus position - God only knows why. The only way to cure was set the needle to a plus position (say 15 mph), plug-in the clocks with the clear screen removed and repeatedly stop, start & momentarily use the car and play around with the needle position until it stabilised, replace the screen & then you’re sorted.

It does sound like the needle is spinning on the spindle. 

@BHM Was on the money.

Someones taken the Engine Light out..... Why? Because it needs a Lambda Sensor.... Cheapskates. Not going to cost much to put it right.

Going to have to source another set of clocks and find someone to code and correct the mileage.

Not easy in Rural Devon, but dreading having to explain that to a VAG buyer :angry:

15 minutes ago, D&M said:

@BHM Was on the money.

Someones taken the Engine Light out..... Why? Because it needs a Lambda Sensor.... Cheapskates. Not going to cost much to put it right.

Going to have to source another set of clocks and find someone to code and correct the mileage.

Not easy in Rural Devon, but dreading having to explain that to a VAG buyer :angry:

I would be very surprised if it only needs a Lambda sensor. Who on earth finds it easier to remove/replace a binnacle to access a bulb than to unscrew a Lambda which costs just a few quid (less than £50-100)?

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

I would be very surprised if it only needs a Lambda sensor. Who on earth finds it easier to remove/replace a binnacle to access a bulb than to unscrew a Lambda which costs just a few quid (less than £50-100)?

Wouldn't surprise me at all had a mini with a oil light not illuminating took the clocks apart and the bulb was smashed all for a £20 oil pressure switch :blink:. Cant source the replacement clocks now :(

10 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Not at all - it’s anyone who doesn’t want to spend a single penny. Tbh in the past it was standard practice on cheapies & most ‘clocks’ can be out, Blu-Taked & back in within 15 minutes or so - quicker (as well as significantly cheaper) than getting it on a ramp & doing the job the right way.

Edited by BHM

29 minutes ago, D&M said:

@BHM Was on the money.

Excellent. I would look really closely at the wiring just after where the Lambda sensor plugs it, they ahve a real tendancy to corrode and snap.

Can you not just glue the needles back on in the right place?

Thanks for the replies - We'll check the Lambda wiring tomorrow. Be nice if it was as simple as that. Only other time it has been was a missfiring Focus - the wires behind the coil pack plug had worn through and snapped!

I did manage to get the needles back in the right place.

The needle 'stop' on the speedo was too low, so when the needle was sat below 0 it was actually sat on the stop. I spun the speedo round to the max 'stop' and just put a bit of extra pressure on and it slid round a bit. This moved the 0 stop round to the correct place (after a little too-ing and fro-ing with the min and max stops, so the speedo reads perfectly now!

Although, as I forgot to check the warning lamps BEFORE I took it all apart, I may take it apart again tomorrow and see (hope) that the EML has only been covered by a bit of tape or something and the bulb hasn't been snapped off.

Edited by D&M