Sign in to follow this  
tradex

On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors

Well its quiet out there, the cars are prepped ads are running but the phones not melting so, a bit of lateral thinking wouldn't be a bad thing. Lets see what an ex GM high flyer would suggest who was earning 650k dollars pa back in '73?

John Deloreans first book, cracking read. Came out in 70's. Not even got to the marketing bit yet, which I suspect, may still hold up today but... 

He makes an interesting point (well lots actually) one of which is that precious little 'totally new' innovation has occurred since 1949, rather than derivations or improvements of existing technologies ......which made me think.

Parking sensors, Sat Nav, and self parking came to mind, then I started struggling after those? 

Edited by tradex

11 minutes ago, tradex said:

Well its quiet out there, the cars are prepped ads are running but the phones not melting so, a bit of lateral thinking wouldn't be a bad thing. Lets see what an ex GM high flyer would suggest who was earning 650k dollars pa back in '73?

John Deloreans first book, cracking read. Came out in 70's. Not even got to the marketing bit yet, which I suspect, may still hold up today but... 

He makes an interesting point (well lots actually) one of which is that precious little 'totally new' innovation has occurred since 1949, rather than derivations or improvements of existing technologies ......which made me think.

Parking sensors, Sat Nav, and self parking came to mind, then I started struggling after those? 

If your book is a 70's edition it will be missing all the later juicy bits - the drug dealing, ripping off the government etc, he sure had some large gonads i'll give him that

1 hour ago, awc1000 said:

If your book is a 70's edition it will be missing all the later juicy bits - the drug dealing, ripping off the government etc, he sure had some large gonads i'll give him that

Yes, he wrote a few books, but this was his first, just after he left GM which was, at the time, incredible. 

His later life is, errm, interesting to say the least and I believe he even found god and was seen clutching a bible everywhere he went. :rolleyes:

.....always fancied a DMC-12 too, bit like owning a Stag, you know they are shite but with looks like that you can forgive a lot sins ;)

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Electric cars ? bluetooth ? 

8 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Electric cars ? bluetooth ? 

Electric cars, I remember being called out on this myself by an engineer at Ricardos way back when it was all fields back then;).....before the end of the 1800's a third of the fleet were electric and big with taxi fleets like Teslas are today.....when uncle Henry launched his Model T (1908?) he took a bit of leap of faith with petrol rather than going with electric as petrol was harder to come by in general and, still bought from your chemist, by the gallon or two. Homes had charging points even then and you could  even drop your run of the mill EV off at the garage for an overnight charge. B).....from memory range of around 80 miles was average back then. 

Bluetooth....hmm in what respect? 

I have read a De Lorean book.What a guy,he had a henchman and they used to have a way of taking over healthy family dealerships and milking them dry.He was doing that before he mesmerised the Labour government into investing about £120m to build his car in Belfast which would he said would help quell the sectarian troubles.

36 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I have read a De Lorean book.What a guy,he had a henchman and they used to have a way of taking over healthy family dealerships and milking them dry.He was doing that before he mesmerised the Labour government into investing about £120m to build his car in Belfast which would he said would help quell the sectarian troubles.

What would that 120 long be worth today, 500? Nowhere near enough for what he wanted to achieve.....especially after quite a drop got siphoned off into his Swiss account he shared with some Lotus boys

A brilliant engineer, with a charismatic manner and an overwhelming love of money.....his other trick was taking on other peoples patents, then selling them back to the owners.....one of the best being the coolant recovery systems found on every car nowadays, sharp guy, even sharper after his plastic surgery and face lift, not on his Pontiacs but his chin and nose. ;)

17 minutes ago, tradex said:

What would that 120 long be worth today, 500? Nowhere near enough for what he wanted to achieve.....especially after quite a drop got siphoned off into his Swiss account he shared with some Lotus boys

A brilliant engineer, with a charismatic manner and an overwhelming love of money.....his other trick was taking on other peoples patents, then selling them back to the owners.....one of the best being the coolant recovery systems found on every car nowadays, sharp guy, even sharper after his plastic surgery and face lift, not on his Pontiacs but his chin and nose. ;)

He had hundreds of court cases against him thrown out,he evaded extradition for embezzling millions.He ran rings around governments,lawyers and accountants.He was a world class conman and remarkably he only ever served 10 days in jail and the charges were later overturned.I must read more about this guy.