Fabio1493

Experienced motor trade professional

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I'm after some perspective please.

I have extensive experience in the motor trade both as a sales man (for multiple manufacturer dealerships) and as a car buyer (worked as a buyer for a couple of big companies and managed to break the profit record on a number of occasions) - for many years I've toyed with the idea of becoming a car dealer myself. I don't consider myself a "born salesman" and I don't think I would be able to sell anything other than cars. I'm sure what sold me cars in the past is the fact I'm genuinely enthusiastic about cars (even dull everyday ones... that's just me).

I'm still on the fence about starting out and I think my main concern is that inevitable time when you get an "awkward" (for lack of better word) customer.

 

How has everyone found their customers to be like? Anyone trying to take you to court because a clutch went after a few weeks? 

 

All views are welcome and thank you very much in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fabio1493 said:

I'm still on the fence about starting out and I think my main concern is that inevitable time when you get an "awkward" (for lack of better word) customer.

If this is your main concern maybe you should forget it because it will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Fabio1493 said:

How has everyone found their customers to be like?

Customers, that means people who actually buy, ok. Punters, about 75% are cunts.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fabio1493 said:

Hi all,

 

I'm after some perspective please.

I have extensive experience in the motor trade both as a sales man (for multiple manufacturer dealerships) and as a car buyer (worked as a buyer for a couple of big companies and managed to break the profit record on a number of occasions) - for many years I've toyed with the idea of becoming a car dealer myself. I don't consider myself a "born salesman" and I don't think I would be able to sell anything other than cars. I'm sure what sold me cars in the past is the fact I'm genuinely enthusiastic about cars (even dull everyday ones... that's just me).

I'm still on the fence about starting out and I think my main concern is that inevitable time when you get an "awkward" (for lack of better word) customer.

 

How has everyone found their customers to be like? Anyone trying to take you to court because a clutch went after a few weeks? 

 

All views are welcome and thank you very much in advance

If youv'e been in car sales for franchises you will already be intimate with the warranty rules and how to deal with customers, and as a group buyer you will know the difference between a winner and a shitter, and as you mention you are still enthusiastic about cars then i would say yes go for it, you are as a new member on here unusually qualified, good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A customer will never take me to court for a clutch after a few weeks because I would have already replaced it FOC, no hesitation or argument.

Strange initial question from someone with a wealth of experience. Normally it is how much is insurance, where can I buy from, how long before I am a millionaire.

It seems everyone who starts out in this game wants to find out ways to get out of fixing things, which IMO is completely the wrong attitude.

You will buy many good cars and perhaps, one in ten or twenty will kick you but that is our game.

Good luck whatever you decide but if you’re making a living buying and selling cars as an employee, stick at it.

 

Edited by Mark101
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

 

It seems everyone who starts out in this game wants to find out ways to get out of fixing things, which IMO is completely the wrong attitude.

 

 

spot on, and not willing to do there own homework, ie, consumer rights,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't stay on the fence for ever, its yes you want to go alone or stay put! 

Biggest thing is you'll be playing with your own money and not someone else's , if you're not going to do the 'job' right ie the clutch example then i don't think you'll so well long term, the days of not acting responsible are well over, CRA, Reviews etc etc. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Screenman said:

If you are good at buying just sell to the trade, this may create fewer problems.

Do me a favour, email me the name of the place you can buy cheaply & regularly enough to sell to the trade & make a wage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Screenman said:

Not a clue BHM, but I do work for a couple of busy traders who seldom retail but turn a lot of metal.

I've seen this also I know one guy personally who only buys and sells to traders .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BHM said:

Do me a favour, email me the name of the place you can buy cheaply & regularly enough to sell to the trade & make a wage.

ask your local sprayer or dent removal man, they will know who's trading locally, granted trade supplied cars are not as plentiful and not as cheap as they were, but they don't come with A- £200-500 indemnity, or B-£200 delivery by a stranger., and of course you get to drive them before deciding / paying.

amazes me how new retailers set up but don't have an interest in the local trade supply, it's a bit like buying a freehouse pub and not knowing where the local brewing companys are, just saying...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BHM said:

Do me a favour, email me the name of the place you can buy cheaply & regularly enough to sell to the trade & make a wage.

We Buy Any Car.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tradex said:

I think Fabio has shot his bolt, never to heard of again, another one post wonder:P

Who’d a thought it? An man ‘in the trade’ telling us he has extensive sales & buying experience with a query regarding awkward customers. He sounded 100% genuine to me.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 9:18 AM, BHM said:

Do me a favour, email me the name of the place you can buy cheaply & regularly enough to sell to the trade & make a wage.

That was all we used to do! Buy and sell to the trade. Have slowed down a little with that but do do the odd few still,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.