MattR

'whats the latest you're open till?'

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

How you work is your business, customers need managing though. Tell them to leave work a couple of hours early, if they want the car they will work around you.

If you are happy to be flexible, then no problem. 

Good pointer, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

I used to take them at anytime but now I don’t deal with the sales personally the other guys aren’t too fond of staying late unless there getting paid more for it.

Funnily enough my fav thing has always been the buying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

How you work is your business, customers need managing though. Tell them to leave work a couple of hours early, if they want the car they will work around you.

If you are happy to be flexible, then no problem. 

The ones who want to buy don’t mind taking an hour or 2 off. 

The ones who want to browse and just look wont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

The ones who want to buy don’t mind taking an hour or 2 off. 

The ones who want to browse and just look wont.

More valueable advice, thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MattR said:

Not my favourite question! But just had 2 calls in quick succession asking the same thing (first ones of the day). Especially as this evening I'm actually out with my Mrs, so finishing at 3 instead of 4.

Explained that I'm leaving at 3 today, come what may, as I'm out with the good lady. 'but I wanted to have a test drive!'. And you can, just get on your way now (only local) and thats fine. Lets see if that happens. 

I leave at 5 everyday. The amount of times they are ‘just leaving’ or ‘on their way’ and they never show is incredible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BHM said:

I can’t see how working from the door dictates your working hours. Surely one of the pluses of self-employment is choosing one’s own hours?

+1

13 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

How you work is your business, customers need managing though. Tell them to leave work a couple of hours early, if they want the car they will work around you.

If you are happy to be flexible, then no problem. 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Prior to the unit: Meant all stock was at home. If someone called, no problem. Yes, I am on the outside of a few G&T’s but answering the door and unlocking a car would be no issue. Since moving to the unit, I cannot get in my car and drive anywhere because a) I don’t want to and b) it would be illegal as I am over the limit.

Must be a right hindrance fitting in work around your drinking hobby Mark :lol:

Edited by Dealer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tradex said:

It's them pesky aliens again, more abductions. :D

Its common around these parts as well .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of time for everything.

8 hours work

8 hours play (drinking)

8 hours sleep

Only 5 days a week though, need to increase play and sleep on Sat and Sun.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you've done this job for years, your timewaster instinct and tolerance becomes very tuned. When you are starting / learning, you think everyone is genuine, but time after time you get worn down by people who simply lie to you, or simply are not actually wanting to buy (lookers)....

When you have had this happen to you a few times along with all the other scenarios, you become very weary. The one thing that is absolutely guaranteed is that customers are liars, they will lie to you continually and are full of BS until they produce the actual ££££'s. 

No shows are the worst, waiting for the scumbag to arrive on the Sunday, when you've changed all your plans for them and then they don't show, they've turned their cowardly phone off.... You've done all the prep, changed your plans on the basis of someone who's just called and says i'M ON MY WAY......... You soon become very wise to this..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

When you've done this job for years, your timewaster instinct and tolerance becomes very tuned. When you are starting / learning, you think everyone is genuine, but time after time you get worn down by people who simply lie to you, or simply are not actually wanting to buy (lookers)....

When you have had this happen to you a few times along with all the other scenarios, you become very weary. The one thing that is absolutely guaranteed is that customers are liars, they will lie to you continually and are full of BS until they produce the actual ££££'s. 

No shows are the worst, waiting for the scumbag to arrive on the Sunday, when you've changed all your plans for them and then they don't show, they've turned their cowardly phone off.... You've done all the prep, changed your plans on the basis of someone who's just called and says i'M ON MY WAY......... You soon become very wise to this..

 

And they types always blame the car dealer go on and leave bad reviews saying got there they were closed when then had no intention off coming in the first place 

place I used to work at guy calls up says he's on his way one Sunday closed at 3pm every Sunday but happened to there till 6 that particular day doing paperwork and prep for Monday he leaves a review saying got their 2.50 gates were locked . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Casper said:

And they types always blame the car dealer go on and leave bad reviews saying got there they were closed when then had no intention off coming in the first place 

place I used to work at guy calls up says he's on his way one Sunday closed at 3pm every Sunday but happened to there till 6 that particular day doing paperwork and prep for Monday he leaves a review saying got their 2.50 gates were locked . 

What a scumbag, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Casper said:

Monday he leaves a review saying got their 2.50 gates were locked

What a sad little inadequate twat . Some people like those wasters want boiling in oil :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always ask customers to text to let us know they're leaving. When they say "oh don't worry I'm not the kind of person to muck you about" I finish the call, put the phone down and say "they won't turn up", sadly I can't remember when I was proved wrong :mellow:

Edited by pmpants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The one thing that is absolutely guaranteed is that customers are liars, they will lie to you continually and are full of BS until they produce the actual ££££'s.

You can forget all of the big talk, promises etc. - pound notes (or whatever payment you take) sorts the wheat from the chaff. I believe absolutely sweet f.a. what punters tell me until they turn into customers (that means get their money out).

4 hours ago, pmpants said:

When they say "oh don't worry I'm not the kind of person to muck you about" I finish the call, put the phone down and say "they won't turn up", sadly I can't remember when I was proved wrong :mellow:

It would be nice to be proved wrong but phrases such as “I’m not a messer” is the death knell of any deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No quibble refundable deposit based on accuracy sorts out the chaff. It’s not unreasonable to ask for confirmation of intent,  because no one with actual intent refuses...  

The only people who refuse are the wasters, because they know they’re a waster and will refuse.

It’s the “Poker call the bluff scenario” Just listen to the squirming excuses not to buy or commit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just leaving now , its 7.33 pm and stayed back for two customers , both turned up , both bought , happy  evening . :)

Both paid full money , one tried but i said i'm on overtime rate :D

Home for dinner now . 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It’s not unreasonable to ask for confirmation of intent,  because no one with actual intent refuses...  

I agree with you on this point. I can’t imagine and would love to overhear some of your conversations with people whom just want to have a look, it must be 10-20 per week at my average enquiry rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I agree with you on this point. I can’t imagine and would love to overhear some of your conversations with people whom just want to have a look, it must be 10-20 per week at my average enquiry rate.

I just keep referring them back to my video appraisal which fully explains my “purchasing process”.

 I reiterate, “As explained in the video, I only appoint people who are prepared to confirm their intent. It’s completely fair and designed to stop tyre kickers and time wasters Mr Customer.....”

Genuine buyers don’t have a problem paying a refundable deposit.

Mark, I’m a sheep dog, I keep pointing the cattle in the right direction...

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

 

Mark, I’m a sheep dog, I keep pointing the cattle in the right direction...

That would surely be a cattle dog?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MattR said:

That would surely be a cattle dog?

Yes, I want a refund of my deposit - that is a blatant misdescription :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MattR said:

That would surely be a cattle dog?

 

8 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Yes, I want a refund of my deposit - that is a blatant misdescription :lol:

Okay, very funny  :lol:

But if I may be pedantic........ 

Goats and sheep are certainly considered cattle as are anything with a HEAD. The word cattle, capital, and captain all have the Latin root of “caput” which means head or top.

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.