Ocsltd

School boy question!! Cherished transfer

Now, forgive me for the school boy esq question here, as I should know!!

But, what is the process if a customer wants to put a cherished number plate that he has on retention, onto the new car he is buying, but wants me to sort it all out for him??

I know I should know, but I don't normally get involved. I usually advise them to wait until the V5 is in their name, and then do it online.

Usually, at point of pick up, I tax the vehicle online with the customer using the new keeper slip, then register the car in their name at the same time online. How would this process work if I was putting a cherished reg number on, what do I need?

(Will go and hang my head in shame!)

That is exactly what I do !

Top Marks to you .. :) 

Tax the car on line as you say - do the new V5 on line in his name - he'll get that back with in 2/3 Days , then put the plate on line - he doesn't even have to visit you - do it over the phone if he gives you new V5 number and numbers off his retention form ! #simples #quick #easy 

If taking it off the car -put new v5 in his name - leave old V5 intact in his name ( Do not put into trade ) - again when new V5 arrives as as long as both V5 are same post code do it on line 

Note: If the car you're selling him has not been taxed for 3 months or over then it won't always let you transfer the plate , you'll need to send all documents to DVLA , but to be fair they come back within days!
Hope it helps and I'l explained it clearly :) ! 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, umesh said:

That is exactly what I do !

Top Marks to you .. :) 

Tax the car on line as you say - do the new V5 on line in his name - he'll get that back with in 2/3 Days , then put the plate on line - he doesn't even have to visit you - do it over the phone if he gives you new V5 number and numbers off his retention form ! #simples #quick #easy 

If taking it off the car -put new v5 in his name - leave old V5 intact in his name ( Do not put into trade ) - again when new V5 arrives as as long as both V5 are same post code do it on line 

Note: If the car you're selling him has not been taxed for 3 months or over then it won't always let you transfer the plate , you'll need to send all documents to DVLA , but to be fair they come back within days!
Hope it helps and I'l explained it clearly :) ! 

Perfect, thank you very much!!

I didn't realise it was loosely cars untaxed for 3months Umesh, seemed like pot luck for me as to what cars I was able to do. 

:blink: Christ, even a pandemic doesn’t stop these fuckwits.

• Haha 1