Sign in to follow this  
Rob774

New Traders.

Recommended Posts

First off hello to everybody on the forum. I've been reading for a couple of weeks and learned a lot. It has also opened up an opportunity for us. Thanks, MrC.

My Mum saw Margaret Thatcher on the news in 1983 and was inspired to start her own car sales business. After threatening my dad with divorce if he didn't give up his car sales job she ended up making a few quid. 

My brother an I worked as mechanics, valeters, salesman and buyers until 2003 when we buggered off to Germany to work for the US Army has mechanics. Between then and now we have worked in Germany, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. 

We are now starting up again. We have ten in stock which is our limit because of space but we are working on it. (again thanks, Mr C). We have plates and insurance but most importantly we have a good mechanic and valeter sorted. 

We are looking to expand year on year and are looking for contacts across the northwest. 

The job has changed so much that we are really starting from scratch but apart from unreliable customers, we are doing well.

 

 

 

Edited by Rob774

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys

With that CV you will definateley be OK.Just keep asking questions on here if you need stuff  and people will help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everybody for the welcome. Sorry for the tardiness of my reply but Sunday is the family day. 

The job has changed a great deal. For a start BCA was ADT and there was a lot of smaller auctions that I spent too many evenings competing with privates at. Most of those seem to have disappeared, which is a shame. I was also travelling up to Scotland to buy twice a week and now Arnold Clark brings them down to me at an increased price of course. And they are still rusting underneath prematurely... 

Autotrader was affordable and Ebay wasn't a thing that we dealt with at all. Actually, I am wondering whether the net is playing a part in creating monsters out of customers? At the time most of our business was walks on or repeat business which meant much less time wasting waiting for appointments. Plus we shut at a certain time and if they weren't there by then, tough luck. I am keeping to that particular mantra. My time is more valuable to me than theirs. 

Finally. The first car I sold was a 1986 Montego 1.6 in lovely beige. The updated model had come out and was two-tone with a grey bottom half. So I painted the entire bottom of the car with spray cans. Did a bloody good job too! 

 

The biggest change from then to now? Don't take a spray can to your stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rob774 said:

 

 

The biggest change from then to now? Don't take a spray can to your stock.

i sprayed a set of mats matt black yesterday,they looked brand new in my photos;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, s and b said:

i sprayed a set of mats matt black yesterday,they looked brand new in my photos;)

Volkswagen carpets are made for that treatment ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rob774 said:

Thanks everybody for the welcome. Sorry for the tardiness of my reply but Sunday is the family day. 

The job has changed a great deal. For a start BCA was ADT and there was a lot of smaller auctions that I spent too many evenings competing with privates at. Most of those seem to have disappeared, which is a shame. I was also travelling up to Scotland to buy twice a week and now Arnold Clark brings them down to me at an increased price of course. And they are still rusting underneath prematurely... 

Autotrader was affordable and Ebay wasn't a thing that we dealt with at all. Actually, I am wondering whether the net is playing a part in creating monsters out of customers? At the time most of our business was walks on or repeat business which meant much less time wasting waiting for appointments. Plus we shut at a certain time and if they weren't there by then, tough luck. I am keeping to that particular mantra. My time is more valuable to me than theirs. 

Finally. The first car I sold was a 1986 Montego 1.6 in lovely beige. The updated model had come out and was two-tone with a grey bottom half. So I painted the entire bottom of the car with spray cans. Did a bloody good job too! 

 

The biggest change from then to now? Don't take a spray can to your stock.

I've spent many a happy an hour spraying the bottom of a Montego/Maestro/metro in Hurricane grey. Well they were not happy hours at the time, but compared to what's in the dairy this week (EGR valve/ abs light and the know all to common fag lighter, ffs)  they were a piece of cake.

 You know when you left school and that once fit bird that you have not seen in years  has sadly turned into a porkie 8 pinter.......... Good luck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sparky said:

 

 You know when you left school and that once fit bird that you have not seen in years  has sadly turned into a porkie 8 pinter.......... Good luck.

:D:D:D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sparky said:

I've spent many a happy an hour spraying the bottom of a Montego/Maestro/metro in Hurricane grey. Well they were not happy hours at the time, but compared to what's in the dairy this week (EGR valve/ abs light and the know all to common fag lighter, ffs)  they were a piece of cake.

 You know when you left school and that once fit bird that you have not seen in years  has sadly turned into a porkie 8 pinter.......... Good luck.

This weeks problem is a Punto with no remote fob. My fault for not checking but BCA declared on the sheet that the car had no spare key. It did, in fact, have a spare key and they had decided it was the main key... 

It's no point complaining to BCA because they have this in their T&C's.

7. “AS SEEN” VEHICLES A. Unless the auctioneer makes an announcement to the effect that the vehicle was or was treated as a total loss the contract of sale shall contain a term that a vehicle has not been treated by an insurance company as a total loss. Save for that term a vehicle sold “as seen” is sold and purchased for what it is and with its faults (if any) and, save for that term, the contract of sale shall not contain any condition, warranty or other term (whether express or implied and whether implied by statute, common law, custom or otherwise) as to the age, description, suitability, fitness for pupose, satisfactory quality or roadworthiness of the vehicle. All such conditions, warranties and other terms are hereby excluded.

You live and learn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rob774 said:

This weeks problem is a Punto with no remote fob. My fault for not checking but BCA declared on the sheet that the car had no spare key. It did, in fact, have a spare key and they had decided it was the main key... 

 

This is a real bug bear of mine. A bloody key. On it's own. Without a fob. Is not a main key. How dare it masquerade as one? It pisses me off because being the tight arsed scared buyer that I am it means on top of looking under the bonnet, shaking the steering, making sure the electric windows work, checking the bodywork for knocks, asking the driver to rev it, seeing how the clutch is and making sure the underneath isn't pissing out black stuff I have to make sure I haven't got the one key left after the cocker spaniel has had the others and most of the remaining for breakfast... and they call US crooks.

In my case: You vent and breath.

Edited by Mojo121
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

This is a real bug bear of mine. A bloody key. On it's own. Without a fob. Is not a main key. How dare it masquerade as one? It pisses me off because being the tight arsed scared buyer that I am it means on top of looking under the bonnet, shaking the steering, making sure the electric windows work, checking the bodywork for knocks, asking the driver to rev it, seeing how the clutch is and making sure the underneath isn't pissing out black stuff I have to make sure I haven't got the one key left after the cocker spaniel has had the others and most of the remaining for breakfast... and they call US crooks.

In my case: You vent and breath.

A quick call to Fiat and it turns out a replacement key costs the same as a Hugo Boss watch. Not that I'd buy a Hugo Boss watch but It looks better value than a shitty Fiat key. The car works without the key anyway so I'm trying to flog it to a neighbour who's lad has fallen in love with its alloy wheels and side skirts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rob774 said:

A quick call to Fiat and it turns out a replacement key costs the same as a Hugo Boss watch. Not that I'd buy a Hugo Boss watch but It looks better value than a shitty Fiat key. The car works without the key anyway so I'm trying to flog it to a neighbour who's lad has fallen in love with its alloy wheels and side skirts. 

get an auto electrician to fit a £10 aftermarket remote kit off the bay

these cars work on switched to earth for the plungers so even if hes old school it shouldnt take him long

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, s and b said:

get an auto electrician to fit a £10 aftermarket remote kit off the bay

these cars work on switched to earth for the plungers so even if hes old school it shouldnt take him long

Thanks for that s and b. I'll look into it in the morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also based in the North West (St Helens).. we've been going for about a year, you seem to have everything covered.. give us a shout if you need any recovery / transporting doing.

We have a spec lift and a flat bed recovery truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/commercial-property-to-rent/industrial-factory-garage-offices/1272140950

 

anyones thoughts think might be just what I’m looking for perhaps a little small but good start 

thanks 

vat ?

have a drive over during day, see the parking, industrial estates are notorious for being blocked in .

have a drive over during night, see the security, or lack of it.

contact the previous owners, find out why they moved out [ flame heating? claudius ash ? ]

maybe security related, maybe bad landlord.

find out who the meter/s belong to, landlords meters add there % 

view in rain, see if it leaky.

basically, just if you were buying a house 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stephen have you a good source for cars to sell as thats the main priority?

also a lot of them dont like the car trade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know me source haha maybe not as good as others but been ok so far 

had discussions with landlord and they are ok with it, also looked at others that up for sale, premature I know but a possibility don’t want to rent long term

tried from house and it’s hard think from a unit is best way, looking to do it with someone as I know I haven’t got the time at present to do it on my own 

no one seems to like car trade, got to admit like everyone’s said it’s probably one of the hardest trades to make a living as the variance in skills required is mind boggling, but I want to give it a proper go and if I can’t make it work il hold hands up and have to stop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't like the car trade and im in it, try and get a 2nd source as your current one has been known to send them all to the block

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah send some to block but there’s enough for someone like me and 4:5 other traders to buy 

well rather fail trying than not try at all word with wife 

thabks tho appreciate all help 

2 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

disaster ! 

Can you elaborate? I know I’m not clued up in industry so looking for help from someone who does,hoping for a mechanic type person 

thought I was being clever lol guess not 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this