FHP11

New Trade Plate Laws

Recommended Posts

I've ignored it for years... sorry Mr Officer (you do a great job BTW) my wife's just about to deliver our first baby and my mind isn't correctly on my job......It's never happened before.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some fancy plate holders, they have a sucker device operated with a lever, the plate is mounted within the housing, there is also a security strap which can be placed through the bonnet/boot shut just in case, not cheap to buy at nearly £80 for a pair but so easy to use, its suprising how many traders have seen me use them and commented how good they are.....till I tell them the price :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2017 at 4:29 PM, BHM said:

I’VE GOT THE SAME ISSUE. I sent off my form last week, confirming I was the driver but that I had my plates in the window. I’m awaiting their response so will post here when I receive it.

I’ve just received the response from the DVLA, the paragraph I’m interested in reads “Having considered the additional information provided, I have decided to take no further action on this occasion.”

Therefore I conclude that trade plates in the window are acceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, tradex said:

B)

What really boils my piss is that those that have trade plates get a tug for trying to do the right thing, but at any auction around the country hundreds of cars are being driven off-site with fuck all...so where is the justice in that?:angry:

Funnily enough I’ve always wondered why the police don’t just hide half a mile up the road from any auction house - they’d get a month’s worth of nicks in one fell swoop. Imagine pulling the likes of 14yr old Puntos with 2 months MOT, no trade plates, no insurance, bald tyres etc. - it’d get the driver an instant ban & reduce Gumtree’s listings by 75%. 

Another thing I’ve never understood is why the VAT, Inland Revenue & Benefits Agency don’t march into the offices & forensically search every account - half of the scallywags at the block will be taking the piss in one way or another. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BHM said:

 

Therefore I conclude that trade plates in the window are acceptable.

but they never were

personally i would learn from the experience and comply

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, s and b said:

but they never were

personally i would learn from the experience and comply

 

Weren’t they? I don’t recall ever being told as such & my having them in the window has been accepted by them as satisfactory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2017 at 9:58 AM, BHM said:

I’ve just received the response from the DVLA, the paragraph I’m interested in reads “Having considered the additional information provided, I have decided to take no further action on this occasion.”

Therefore I conclude that trade plates in the window are acceptable.

This is because you submitted mitigation/defence to your case, and they accepted it, it in no way admits that you can put plates in the window.

i got fined by dvla for not notifying a change of keeper, and i submitted a defence to my case and that was dropped too, doesnt mean i cant not inform them in future of any change of keeper on any vehicle :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many of the MOVEX / trade plate guys are driving round day in day out with them in the windows? 

They don't seem to have any problem. I've been pulled over a couple of times as not showing insurance and always been fine once I show my paperwork and police let me on my way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i went to the DVLA offfice many years ago for my trade plate interview, bringing a briefcase full of receipts and stuff that was requested, how things have changed !

Anyway the chap that issued me the plates did explain that they should be placed on the outside of the vehicle, but his exact words were " If it was me i would just put them inside the car as it is safer "

I have done this ever since and will continue unless i am strictly told otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll all have our VTL305 renewal form by now & despite my previous comments it does state they must be outside. Anyhow stuff it! Life’s too short to worry about plastic no. plates :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, BHM said:

We’ll all have our VTL305 renewal form by now & despite my previous comments it does state they must be outside. Anyhow stuff it! Life’s too short to worry about plastic no. plates :lol:

plastic?...............you young un...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical UK bureacracy, rules written by limp wristed admin types with not an ounce of real world application or experience

Edited by Paddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  wonder any one can help ?

just got fined for no tax but had trade plate in window it must. Been a police car did a check and come up as a no tax but I had my plates in the windows I wonder what I should do ??? Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Did you not point out the trade plates to the officer?

If ANPR, then the photo should show the plates.  Were they displayed correctly and as detailed out?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/854130/vtl301g-guidance-notes.pdf

If so then you can contest the fine.

Edited by Earunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Am just in process of applying for my plates.

OK,so this might be a piss brained idea but can you not just unscrew  the existing reg plates and display those in the car window and simply attach your trade plates in the now vacant aperture?

Edited by the old novice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, the old novice said:

Am just in process of applying for my plates.

OK,so this might be a piss brained idea but can you can remove the existing reg plates and display those in the car window and simply attach your trade plates in the now vacant aperture?

Display of trade plates

A trade plate:
• should be displayed in a vertical position
• must be visible and easily readable from a distance between 18 to 22 metre
• can be displayed anywhere on both the front and rear (rear only for motorcycles)
• cannot be displayed inside a vehicle
• must not cover the vehicle’s existing number plates (except for motorcycles).

Make of it what you will.

Edited by Earunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been busted myself for this. 55 mph in the inside lane of the A14 minding my own business. Traffic cop pulls me over. End up with £30.00 fine for incorrect use of trade plates and £100.00 for obscuring the vehicles reg no. Both displayed outside the vehicle but over plates.

Got to be proud of our boys in blue, he got two offences out of an easy stop. His parting shot was Ha Ha I'm the only copper who bothers about this stuff round here.

A week later the Mrs was driving out of town in her Cayenne and was pulled over for tinted windows, told the correctly spaced  private plate was suspect (we've had it 20 years and its not) . Result £50.00 fine while he got her to struggle and  de tint the windows on the spot. The car was tinted when a demo and no one including my MOT tester friends had noticed the tint was SLIGHTLY illegal. This stop took just under an hour and I guarantee he could have found real crime within a hundred metres many times within that hour. In fact illegally parked cars with roma plates were in the same main road.

My take on it is, cautions would have been good enough or maybe one fine for the tradeplates. Neither of us have criminal records or associates both natives, taxpayers and in our fifties . First offence on both counts. Easy stops but my opinion of the local traffic cops round here  has not improved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mik said:

I  wonder any one can help ?

just got fined for no tax but had trade plate in window it must. Been a police car did a check and come up as a no tax but I had my plates in the windows I wonder what I should do ??? Thanks 

I had this once

write a letter to the DVLA explaining who you are, the fact you have trade plates and the vehicle was being used in conjunction with your job in the motor trade. Quote your plate numbers.

i never heard a thing again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2017 at 3:10 PM, FHP11 said:

Now, They specifically cannot be mounted over the original plate. That must still be visible. But also, they cannot be inside the vehicle, which begs the question, where do they go?

Plenty of holders and brackets for TP on ebay. Some are good and some not. Personally prefer cable ties in most cases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fatboy said:

Been busted myself for this. 55 mph in the inside lane of the A14 minding my own business. Traffic cop pulls me over. End up with £30.00 fine for incorrect use of trade plates and £100.00 for obscuring the vehicles reg no. Both displayed outside the vehicle but over plates.

Got to be proud of our boys in blue, he got two offences out of an easy stop. His parting shot was Ha Ha I'm the only copper who bothers about this stuff round here.

A week later the Mrs was driving out of town in her Cayenne and was pulled over for tinted windows, told the correctly spaced  private plate was suspect (we've had it 20 years and its not) . Result £50.00 fine while he got her to struggle and  de tint the windows on the spot. The car was tinted when a demo and no one including my MOT tester friends had noticed the tint was SLIGHTLY illegal. This stop took just under an hour and I guarantee he could have found real crime within a hundred metres many times within that hour. In fact illegally parked cars with roma plates were in the same main road.

My take on it is, cautions would have been good enough or maybe one fine for the tradeplates. Neither of us have criminal records or associates both natives, taxpayers and in our fifties . First offence on both counts. Easy stops but my opinion of the local traffic cops round here  has not improved.

 

It's a lot easier stopping vehicles with illegal tints than chasing armed bank robbers? Will your wife be on the next series of Police Interceptors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, metcars said:It's a lot easier stopping vehicles with illegal tints than chasing armed bank robbers? Will your wife be on the next series of Police Interceptors?

 

3 hours ago, Fatboy said:

Been busted myself for this. 55 mph in the inside lane of the A14 minding my own business. Traffic cop pulls me over. End up with £30.00 fine for incorrect use of trade plates and £100.00 for obscuring the vehicles reg no. Both displayed outside the vehicle but over plates.

Got to be proud of our boys in blue, he got two offences out of an easy stop. His parting shot was Ha Ha I'm the only copper who bothers about this stuff round here.

A week later the Mrs was driving out of town in her Cayenne and was pulled over for tinted windows, told the correctly spaced  private plate was suspect (we've had it 20 years and its not) . Result £50.00 fine while he got her to struggle and  de tint the windows on the spot. The car was tinted when a demo and no one including my MOT tester friends had noticed the tint was SLIGHTLY illegal. This stop took just under an hour and I guarantee he could have found real crime within a hundred metres many times within that hour. In fact illegally parked cars with roma plates were in the same main road.

My take on it is, cautions would have been good enough or maybe one fine for the tradeplates. Neither of us have criminal records or associates both natives, taxpayers and in our fifties . First offence on both counts. Easy stops but my opinion of the local traffic cops round here  has not improved.

 

Its the same round our parts they see what they want to see . Ive had a couple of pulls to be fair to our boys in blue i was let of with a warning and a talking to both times but as you say they were far worst traffic offences in plain sight both times  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, SC Derby said:

I had this once

write a letter to the DVLA explaining who you are, the fact you have trade plates and the vehicle was being used in conjunction with your job in the motor trade. Quote your plate numbers.

i never heard a thing again 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.