Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Abusive enquiries

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

I’ve just looked through all of my recent eBay message inbox. Dozens of enquiries, all mostly polite, sensible and pretty legible, asking sensible questions. There are a couple of ‘What’s your best price’. 

Some asking about detailed service history etc. Others asking about finance options, delivery and mostly ‘is this car still available?’  From there they have all been replied to and we have received follow up emails, calls and sales.

No abuse- apart from a mildly sarcastic/amusing and quite right to be honest, line of ‘Why is this Puma SO expensive?’

A couple of Best Offers about a grand off the asking price on cars at 4K up.  Politely declined obviously, but you do often then get further correspondence and you can deal sometimes  

ebaymotors pro is a great platform, honest  

eBay auction is a different story.

 

 

Absolutely agree 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, we do most of our business through eBay and again a lot of our sales come from messaging only. I defiantly wouldn’t ignore it completely, I don’t understand why anyone would do that unless you feel your selling enough through phone calls not to bother.

Same as I don’t understand the people on here that insist on only buying cars from auction and believe every private sale is a con or a lay-by dealer even though auction prices can be double.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m with Arfur on this. I occasionally sell a car to someone who has only emailed but it’s been a purchase without p/x, and has only happened a few times.

Tbh 80% of emailers are simply time wasting dreamers or chancers.

I only answer 2 emails from the same person, after that they’re told to phone & any more emails are simply ignored - serious punters will phone at that point. Anyone thwarting about sending email after email is just f***ing about - the “nearly men”, they nearly bought this, they nearly bought that - their whole life they’ve been nearly doing this & that but rarely achieve their objectives.

A good percentage of emailers chance their arms because they wouldn’t have the spine to do it face to face. Any attempts at negotiation get this “cut & paste” response;

Hello, sorry but I no longer waste time negotiating by email - face to face only. Unfortunately nowadays there are far too many messers talking-the-talk via the internet.
If you're prepared to walk-the-walk feel free to phone & arrange a viewing - I'm sure you'll agree that genuine buyers want to see what they're getting for their money.
No offence intended,
BHM

Most ignore this, a few waste time emailing back, I occasionally get a call promising to view sometime next week/month & I think two actually came & bought. Basically the vast majority of email negotiators are, in my jaundiced opinion, absolute fucking time wasting twats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’m with Arfur on this. I occasionally sell a car to someone who has only emailed but it’s been a purchase without p/x, and has only happened a few times.

Tbh 80% of emailers are simply time wasting dreamers or chancers.

I only answer 2 emails from the same person, after that they’re told to phone & any more emails are simply ignored - serious punters will phone at that point. Anyone thwarting about sending email after email is just f***ing about - the “nearly men”, they nearly bought this, they nearly bought that - their whole life they’ve been nearly doing this & that but rarely achieve their objectives.

A good percentage of emailers chance their arms because they wouldn’t have the spine to do it face to face. Any attempts at negotiation get this “cut & paste” response;

Hello, sorry but I no longer waste time negotiating by email - face to face only. Unfortunately nowadays there are far too many messers talking-the-talk via the internet.
If you're prepared to walk-the-walk feel free to phone & arrange a viewing - I'm sure you'll agree that genuine buyers want to see what they're getting for their money.
No offence intended,
BHM

Most ignore this, a few waste time emailing back, I occasionally get a call promising to view sometime next week/month & I think two actually came & bought. Basically the vast majority of email negotiators are, in my jaundiced opinion, absolute fucking time wasting twats.

Where’s the like button when you need it?! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BHM said:

I’m with Arfur on this. I occasionally sell a car to someone who has only emailed but it’s been a purchase without p/x, and has only happened a few times.

Tbh 80% of emailers are simply time wasting dreamers or chancers.

I only answer 2 emails from the same person, after that they’re told to phone & any more emails are simply ignored - serious punters will phone at that point. Anyone thwarting about sending email after email is just f***ing about - the “nearly men”, they nearly bought this, they nearly bought that - their whole life they’ve been nearly doing this & that but rarely achieve their objectives.

A good percentage of emailers chance their arms because they wouldn’t have the spine to do it face to face. Any attempts at negotiation get this “cut & paste” response;

Hello, sorry but I no longer waste time negotiating by email - face to face only. Unfortunately nowadays there are far too many messers talking-the-talk via the internet.
If you're prepared to walk-the-walk feel free to phone & arrange a viewing - I'm sure you'll agree that genuine buyers want to see what they're getting for their money.
No offence intended,
BHM

Most ignore this, a few waste time emailing back, I occasionally get a call promising to view sometime next week/month & I think two actually came & bought. Basically the vast majority of email negotiators are, in my jaundiced opinion, absolute fucking time wasting twats.

I do not agree at all.

Messers are part of the game, always have been and always will.

But certainly not 80% of email enquiries are from dreamers and timewasters.

We are now in the age when an email is seen as a viable means of contact, solicitors, accountants, estate agents even doctors email day in day out, there is no need to pick up the phone for general enquiries these days.

If you sent me that cut and paste message as a potential customer i would certainly not want to deal with you.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Controversial maybe but i'd say we convert about 30%-40% of all email leads into sales and i'd say our enquiries split is about 30% email, 30% phone 40% walk ons.

Email suits me perfectly. I don't want to converse with a customer who can't speak into the phone loudly enough, asks the same question three times and loses their train of thought halfway through. Plus it's easy to get caught off guard or miss a walk on whilst on the phone because it always rings at the wrong moment.

Email I can reply to when it's convenient for me, I can check my facts fully before answering a question and reconstruct sentences before sending. 

Funny enough we very rarely get asked 'best price last price' via ebay msg or email but do all the time over the phone by chancers.

I think a big part of it is that we're very email friendly, answer questions fully and in a friendly manner and fish out the time wasters quickly.

The days when I no longer have to verbally communicate a customer can't come soon enough...not that I dislike Joe Public or anything :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to say when I bought me van I e mailed the dealer various questions before I went to view and buy as it was convenient to me. Sometimes you don’t have the time when your at work to make a phone call and e mail is easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m certainly not either lol guess it’s convenience, realistically I get probably 75% of e mails that are a waste of time but do get some nice deals of a few so always worth a reply to an e rent I guess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/01/2018 at 10:44 AM, NOACROSS said:

I’ve just looked through all of my recent eBay message inbox. Dozens of enquiries, all mostly polite, sensible and pretty legible, asking sensible questions. There are a couple of ‘What’s your best price’. 

Some asking about detailed service history etc. Others asking about finance options, delivery and mostly ‘is this car still available?’  From there they have all been replied to and we have received follow up emails, calls and sales.

No abuse- apart from a mildly sarcastic/amusing and quite right to be honest, line of ‘Why is this Puma SO expensive?’

A couple of Best Offers about a grand off the asking price on cars at 4K up.  Politely declined obviously, but you do often then get further correspondence and you can deal sometimes  

ebaymotors pro is a great platform, honest  

eBay auction is a different story.

 

 

I still use ebay auctions and dont really enjoy it. Whats the deal with ebaypro?

Is it a set fee for a certain amout of cars? 

Is it like a classified ad or bidding?

i spend £18 to list a car on auction for 10 days with a reserve. It attracts a lot of idiots but also sales so would be interested to know how pro works differently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SC Derby said:

We pay £176 for 40 cars and it just works like AT ie classified ads.

 

Will that figure be going up with this new gumtree deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Max Branning said:

I do not agree at all.

Messers are part of the game, always have been and always will.

But certainly not 80% of email enquiries are from dreamers and timewasters.

We are now in the age when an email is seen as a viable means of contact, solicitors, accountants, estate agents even doctors email day in day out, there is no need to pick up the phone for general enquiries these days.

If you sent me that cut and paste message as a potential customer i would certainly not want to deal with you.

 

Max, yeah...... we know all of the above and we all sell accordingly, you have missed the point of my post. Everyone does business which has been initiated by email and we all embrace, we would be mad not to. I have been a business trading on ebay since 2002, with in excess of 3300 with 100%. Sadly, over the years the quality of the clientele has changed massively. 

My post is specifically about abuse from a moron, it is not about a lesson in how to answer an email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2018 at 2:00 PM, Jimbo said:

I still use ebay auctions and dont really enjoy it. Whats the deal with ebaypro?

Is it a set fee for a certain amout of cars? 

Is it like a classified ad or bidding?

i spend £18 to list a car on auction for 10 days with a reserve. It attracts a lot of idiots but also sales so would be interested to know how pro works differently

Does any of your cars ever make the reserve, I usually put cars I haven't had luck in selling on no reserve auction, and surprisingly had made more of similar to what I what I eventually had the car advertised for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i have a car for £3,500 and advertise on ebay at £3,500 i get little to no bites. 

If i list it at £1,000 with a £3,500 reserve it usually generates lots of interest, viewings, offerd and ultimately hits the reserve about 40% of the time which i find decent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tradex said:

We had a white E30 320 rag top few years back, a proper old thing, keeper really, 2 former, 20 something stamps, power leather, nice miles at 80k.....one of my colleges bought it at Paddock Wood. Could he shift it, could he f*uck, must of had it 4 months.

So as the wing man whom pushed into it at the initial purchase, (like you do:D) I bought it off him and tried my luck....not a bite, nada...using AT and Ebay Motors Pro, same as my mate, an

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If i have a car for £3,500 and advertise on ebay at £3,500 i get little to no bites. 

If i list it at £1,000 with a £3,500 reserve it usually generates lots of interest, viewings, offerd and ultimately hits the reserve about 40% of the time which i find decent

d with a strong ad with 20 pics.

So took it off sale, waited a week, then put it on Ebay auction and that thing made 700 quid more than the classified price previously used.

Guy came from Wales, loved it and was the last painless fleabay auction we did. The amusing thing was he told us he had been looking for over 3 months for the right car...:wacko:

Goes to show it does work sometimes, especially rare bits. And it does generate a lot of interest I agree, definitely not something I'm sure we'll be keen on doing with all our cars though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoMargin said:

Goes to show it does work sometimes, especially rare bits. And it does generate a lot of interest I agree, definitely not something I'm sure we'll be keen on doing with all our cars though :)

I always find the odd ball cars do well on eBay auction .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tradex said:

yes, agree, for anything else, well, most get lost with the cheap plastic trader shite on there.

if u have a car on list or loads of silly bits stuck to it lol I find the do well, put a nice clean car on all u get is best price .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with eBay auction I find is for every one genuine bidder there’s ten time-wasters. Atleast with classified/pro you don’t lose anything, with auction you’ll lose listing and final value fee’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Problem with eBay auction I find is for every one genuine bidder there’s ten time-wasters. Atleast with classified/pro you don’t lose anything, with auction you’ll lose listing and final value fee’s.

On 28/01/2018 at 2:00 PM, Jimbo said:

You get the final value fee back if you relist or cancel sale because the buyer has timewasted so you only lose about a tenner per auction. But your correct so many timewasters, last price brigade etc ebay auction not for the faint hearted, but definitely has its advantages 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ebay auctions aren’t ideal if you suffer from high blood pressure. You’ll have an aneurism dealing with those bastards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this