Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Trouble ahead?

Recommended Posts

I have a bite on an Audi Q5. 122k, 2011 plate, 1 owner from new, lovely car. Drives mint, 2.0 TFSI and i’ve had maybe 6 emails on it in 10 days. No viewings yet but 2/3 of them are close to being ready to buy. Anyway, here’s a conversation I had with a new enquiry sent last night;

 

Hi Punter 

Thanks for your enquiry. May I ask if you have had the opportunity to review the video of the vehicle I have made?

This evening is ok but only from 7:30pm onwards I’m afraid as I am busy up until then. Does that suit you?

Regards,

James
Elite Preowned Vehicles

 

Hello,

 

Yes, I have watched the video - one of my reasons to try and view is to have a closer look at something I think I spotted in it...

 

Tonight is a bit short notice for the wife - could we do tomorrow evening? 7:00onwards ?

 

Thanks,

Punter 

 

Hi Punter,

 

Don’t leave me in suspense, what have you spotted?

 

Tomorrow won’t work for me, I could do Friday from 7pm onwards or Saturday morning at 10am?

 

Regards,

 

James

 

Hi,

 

Lets do Friday night - thanks very much.

 

In terms of the "spot" - there's some water marks around the expansion tank - so thinking it might have overheated at some point - obviously got me wondering on the engine a bit, as relatively high mileage, & don't want the head gasket going on me !!

 

Would it be possible to get the contact details for the garage who did the last service? - It didn't sound like it was an Audi garage though?

 

Cheers

Punter

 

I’m not long in this trade as most of you know but is it me, or does this bloke reek of a weekend warrior know-fuck-all type who will bore me to death, waste my time and ultimately not buy the car because he’s been reading too much of PistonHeads? Or am I blowing off a potential sale?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the car is right before it goes then no problem anyway.

Do it all properly regarding a no advisory MOT, PDI, proper invoice and sell the warranty on top for peace in the future. 

Winning all the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's already talked himself out it to be honest, no matter the common sense amswer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RHO said:

If the car is right before it goes then no problem anyway.

Do it all properly regarding a no advisory MOT, PDI, proper invoice and sell the warranty on top for peace in the future. 

Winning all the way.

It has all that mate, clean ticket, proper pdi and invoice etc. I’m more wondering if this bloke is a buyer or messer. I’m not worried about the car is what i’m saying, the car is sweet. He, might not be. 

Just now, twerp said:

He's already talked himself out it to be honest, no matter the common sense amswer.

Exactly my thought process. What difference would it make to have the number of the garage where it was last serviced?

”oh yeah hello mr garage, you changed the fluids and filters, did you notice that catastrophic engine failure was imminent at all?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy sounds like a punter to me.I have often provided servicing details before they arrive,it gives them peace of mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chance you take sometimes. If he comes and is a messer you can waste his time just as much as he can waste yours. 

I had one last week and he was a real ball ache. Wasn't going to give him a test drive but had other things going on. I refused everything he suggested, new tyres blah blah.. came back from the drive and said can I pay by card. Left us a great review. 

Just shows. This guy was just a messer but once he decided he was great. Has been in since and told us the car is great and very happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d still let him view but wouldn’t go out of my way to arrange a time that suits him, that way you won’t be wasting your own time.

Im a doorstep seller and never change my plans for customers, if they want it that bad they’ll happily wait until im free. Even when we arrange a time I still ask them to call or text me when they are on their way so that I’m not waiting in for no reason. It’s amazing how many people seam to fall into that giant black hole never to be seen again whilst traveling to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop emailing him.

Call him or tell him to call you.

Mr Punter, please call me so I can reassure you of the qualitity of the car. Ia m not in the business in 

Just now, Arfur Dealy said:

Stop emailing him. He is hiding behind email !

Call him or tell him to call you. Dear Mr Punter, please call me so I can reassure you of the qualitity of the car.

James... Buyers call, its as simple as that......... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, trade vet said:

This guy sounds like a punter to me.I have often provided servicing details before they arrive,it gives them peace of mind.

100%

7 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Stop emailing him.

Call him or tell him to call you.

Mr Punter, please call me so I can reassure you of the qualitity of the car. Ia m not in the business in 

correct 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Stop emailing him.

Call him or tell him to call you.

Mr Punter, please call me so I can reassure you of the qualitity of the car. Ia m not in the business in 

Great minds. I replied asking him to call me tomorrow to confirm his appointment and I will provide him with whatever he needs. 

I’ve watched the video back, there’s dry white crusty marking around the coolant expansion tank. Completely normal and the result of technicians missing the filler cap occasionally. It’s fuck all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James clarify the above and reasure him. Simply,  ask him to commit to purchase on confirming your accuracy. If he makes excuses you will know he's coming to waste your time, looking at cars for his long lost cousin, waiting for a lottery win, pension, needs wifes permission etc.....

You attract the buyer by your advert, you guarantee accuracy, you then simply ask for commitment. No commitment = no appointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

James clarify the above and reasure him. Simply,  ask him to commit to purchase on confirming your accuracy. If he makes excuses you will know he's coming to waste your time, looking at cars for his long lost cousin, waiting for a lottery win, pension, needs wifes permission etc.....

You attract the buyer by your advert, you guarantee accuracy, you then simply ask for commitment. No commitment = no appointment.

Sorry, I'm preacing my way...  you follow your own nose 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make the appointment with him, you'll soon realise if he is a time waster if the silly comments start coming. If he/she is a time waster then sack them off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds 'standard' to me. Punter has let you know he has found something he's concerned about, imaginary or not, that will be used to lever a discount later in the deal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, met said:

Sounds 'standard' to me. Punter has let you know he has found something he's concerned about, imaginary or not, that will be used to lever a discount later in the deal? 

Perhaps. I mean, he won’t be getting a discount for “white stuff” on the outside of a coolant expansion tank but I suppose people will try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EPV said:

does this bloke reek of a weekend warrior know-fuck-all type who will bore me to death, waste my time and ultimately not buy the car because he’s been reading too much of PistonHeads? Or am I blowing off a potential sale?

90% chance he’s a bellend, 10% he’s not. Tbh anyone in this game can understand punters being a little apprehensive BUT ‘forum smart arses’, weekend tyrekickers etc. will soon show their colours & at that point you chase them away

PS - you don’t need to be emailing back & forth to arrange an appointment. Tell him to lift the phone. Punters get 2 ‘helpful’ emails from me, the third tells them to call to discuss their further enquiries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BHM said:

90% chance he’s a bellend, 10% he’s not. Tbh anyone in this game can understand punters being a little apprehensive BUT ‘forum smart arses’, weekend tyrekickers etc. will soon show their colours & at that point you chase them away

PS - you don’t need to be emailing back & forth to arrange an appointment. Tell him to lift the phone. Punters get 2 ‘helpful’ emails from me, the third tells them to call to discuss their further enquiries.

Indeed, exactly what has happened, thanks everyone for their opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hes just a customer that probably knows nowt about cars and is just a bit nervous.

They all spout shite from time to time.

He wants you to put your arm around him and tell him everything will be alright ;)

Timewasters are a big part of this job, its all about weeding them out ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EPV said:

Perhaps. I mean, he won’t be getting a discount for “white stuff” on the outside of a coolant expansion tank but I suppose people will try. 

Well no, but you get my point. Bless him, it must have took ages to go over your pics with a magnifying glass desperately looking for something!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, met said:

Bless him, it must have took ages to go over your pics with a magnifying glass desperately looking for something!:D

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it had overheated and pushed everything back out the expansion tank it would be everywhere, not just a little bit on the top of the expansion tank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think sometimes hanging around forums such as these make you paranoid that every customer is a fruit loaf, bad news sells newspapers my wise old gran used to say, and she was right. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Regan said:

Next time clean any watermarks if your going to video or put pictures of engine in add.

I’d rather leave the engine exactly as it came to me, i’m really not concerned it’s off putting to people. 

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

I think sometimes hanging around forums such as these make you paranoid that every customer is a fruit loaf, bad news sells newspapers my wise old gran used to say, and she was right. 

 

 

 

You’re right but I think it’s also best to treat everyone an idiot until proven otherwise! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this