Sign in to follow this  
justlooking

“Are you totally fixed on price”

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, boring dave said:

there is a section for trade only why dont you and epv go there if it so concerns you

Because if we do the main forum will lose out on the sizeable amount of info we both contribute. 

I can't see why you did not find the AT forum useful. Everyone else that was regularly on there did. They were all pros, all wanting to learn even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the whole forum should be closed to us car dealers after all look at the title "CAR DEALER FORUM"a forum for car dealers not billy joe public,Another thing on prices is when we frequent our local far eastern quisine restaurant(or any other for that matter) and the bill arrives for(in our case last weeks family meal £245.00)do we say"will you take ££££'s or what discount,the bill is paid in full,whats the difference??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, boring dave said:

totally sensible nick its like telling your competition how much you have in a particular motor

i understand you came here for the reason the useless autotrader forum was shut i tried it and it was full of crap,this is why i came here its open there is a section for trade only why dont you and epv go there if it so concerns you,frankly i get tired of people leading other people up a path of their choosing ,not mine,that is why i work for ME 

Turn it in,  I’m just expressing my opinion, not trying to lead a revolution or lead anyone anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to topic:

I often 'sniff out' an idiot/chancer BEFORE the test drive. 'You're welcome to a demo Mr/Mrs.Customer, but I'm afraid I am rigid on the price for this car, so I wouldn't want to waste your time and mine if you are thinking it will be cheaper.' Also 'Do you have a part exchange...'

If it's something that I could do with shifting and am a bit flexible on the price (or I just like the people) I won't do this- although I will ask if they are looking to buy today/have others to see etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EPV said:

Not really, it’s the mods job to keep the place clear of spam and make sure we aren’t all fighting etc. 

If you think educating punters about how you deal with your affairs is acceptable i’d be surprised but each to their own. Imo this forum should be restricted access anyway, to those that can provide a copy of trade insurance. 

If you need somewhere to moan about people there's always mumsnet? :D

Seriously though, a 'secret room' was voted in by many so problem solved I guess. If guys don't want to post outside of it then so be it. Personally I have not great secrets to divulge, or any desire to exctract information from anyone. And to my mind, if a trader is 'bent' and is out there now selling he probably knows more tricks than you ever will and has nothing to learn from us?

I don't think we'll ever agree on this, but hey, you won and I lost. Let's just move on.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, met said:

If you need somewhere to moan about people there's always mumsnet? :D

Seriously though, a 'secret room' was voted in by many so problem solved I guess. If guys don't want to post outside of it then so be it. Personally I have not great secrets to divulge, or any desire to exctract information from anyone. And to my mind, if a trader is 'bent' and is out there now selling he probably knows more tricks than you ever will and has nothing to learn from us?

I don't think we'll ever agree on this, but hey, you won and I lost. Let's just move on.:)

Not moaning at all mate, just an opinion.  

It’s not so much learning from other traders although that’s a big plus for someone like me, it's more stopping plastics and billys from siphoning off free info when they give nowt back. 

Anyway, it was a draw ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Back to topic:

I often 'sniff out' an idiot/chancer BEFORE the test drive. 'You're welcome to a demo Mr/Mrs.Customer, but I'm afraid I am rigid on the price for this car, so I wouldn't want to waste your time and mine if you are thinking it will be cheaper.' Also 'Do you have a part exchange...'

If it's something that I could do with shifting and am a bit flexible on the price (or I just like the people) I won't do this- although I will ask if they are looking to buy today/have others to see etc.

Good thinking regarding asking if they are looking to buy today/have others to see.

If they say they are looking at others what do you say/do?

I said to a chap last week “we do have some current interest in the car and would like to manage expectations, are you in a position to purchase or in early stages of looking?”

he said “In the early stages, but have the cash in the account and would be ready to go for the right car”.

I should have known then that he was gonna be a waster.

low and behold he couldn’t fault the car itself and since messaged saying.

“Had a look at the car yesterday. It’s in lovely condition and drives really well. It’s a great colour and whilst it looks great, I’m not sure I could live with it day-to-day”.

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a difficult one.   On the whole I don't mind a test drive - especially with 40-60 in stock it helps keep 'em starting and cleans the discs off etc. but depends again on if I like them.

You run the risk of alienating them if you refuse a demo, and sometimes 'today's looker' is tomorrow's buyer'.  The ' the price is the price' question often deters the fool from a demo.

5 minutes ago, justlooking said:

I said to a chap last week “we do have some current interest in the car and would like to manage expectations, are you in a position to purchase or in early stages of looking?”

I like this one.  Will shamelessly steal that. ;-) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

It's a difficult one.   On the whole I don't mind a test drive - especially with 40-60 in stock it helps keep 'em starting and cleans the discs off etc. but depends again on if I like them.

You run the risk of alienating them if you refuse a demo, and sometimes 'today's looker' is tomorrow's buyer'.  The ' the price is the price' question often deters the fool from a demo.

I like this one.  Will shamelessly steal that. ;-) 

Me too, that’s a very well worded subtle enquiry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whats up with

'you buying or looking yawl'

but changed into english comes out

hi, were you just having a general look or were you thinking of buying today:):):):)

this way you've introduced yourself and given them an opportunity to tell you their position in relation to their needs if they have any,it works really well and you weren't being pushy like that hopeless assistyant in currys chasing youi round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is absolutely true- and obviously from a different era, but an old (now long dead) motor trader friend of mine used to say (VAT killed the game & (in his cockney accent): 

"You've seen the mota Mate/Love, you like the mota, you know the price? I don't want you going out in it and using me juice up and coming back sayin' you've got others to see. 

"You drive it and it drives well like it does then you're gonna buy today yeah?"

"I don't wanna be f***ed abaat (about) I 'aven't got time for messers alright?!"

(Apologies to any Eastender's reading)

Worked for him.

Edited by NOACROSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BHM said:

 

Basically if a punter’s first question is about money off they either don’t have enough money and/or are just on a fishing expedition and don’t really know what car they want. Dealing with over 99% of these enquiries are a waste of my life.

This 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, justlooking said:

Me and the billy have been messaging back n forth regarding this particular car and the answer from me is “yes it is fixed”.

but I wanted your guys experience of how you answer this question. Is it a blanket “yes its fixed”.

It’s in my video “the price is the price” “I don’t overprice to reduce” “if you are wanting to pay less then simply look for a lesser vehicle”.

I still get asked, I just refer them back to the video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean like this??

Chat Transcript

Visitor: what discount for no trade in & cash deal/
Operator: Hi there
Operator: Have you seen any vehicle on our website?
Visitor: yes
Operator: May I know the vehicle of your interest, please?
Visitor: 38 Images 2007 07 BMW X3 2.0 D SE 5d 148 BHP Free 12 month warranty 
Visitor: 2007 07 BMW X3 2.0 D SE 5d 
Operator: Could you confirm if this is the vehicle of interest? 2007 07 BMW X3 2.0 D SE 5D 148 BHP £4,999
Visitor: yes
Operator: Thanks, I will need to double check with the salesperson for any negotiations on price. Can I take your name, email address and phone number to reach you? 
Visitor: *************.com
Operator: Can I also take your name please?
Visitor: Edward
Operator: Thanks, when would you like to view the vehicle?
Visitor: need to know bottom line price
Operator: Okay, I have that noted. I’ll pass on your details and one of my colleagues will reach you soon with the required information. Is there anything else I could help you with today? 
Visitor: no thanks
Operator: You’re welcome. Thank you for getting in touch with us.

 

I sent a reply outlining our transparent pricing policy. Not holding my breath for a reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Visitor Chat - we use them too. They're much more 'diplomatic' shall we say than me/us ;0)

On another free trial.

Still not covinced it's worth paying for. Especially with "leads" like this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EPV said:

Fine for you but I expect there are plenty that would rather not display their thoughts about their tendencies to discount on a public forum. 

I think it’s good the public can see this thread and threads like this, they get to see our varied points of view. 

The trade only forum equally has its place for more personal / help issues etc. 

I agree the Trade forum should be used more, but there seems to be a continued issue with applications simply being ignored.

It took me three emails before I got a response. 

5 hours ago, boring dave said:

why dont you just start your own messenger forum and those that want part of your wisdom can go there rather than keep ramming your 'i want everything private on here mantra'

ive said it before but will repeat

the forum is as it is because its open, this way fresh blood can come in gain experience and hopefully put something in

ive never been a left leg, up tickle a jelly and be part of the masons

Agree

4 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

The Autotrader forum was EXTREMELY good although it was a closed forum for whoever had an AT monthly package. Fresh blood could still come in (as long as they had an AT package) and were more than welcome there with all sorts of commercially sensitive info discussed openly. 

On this forum (just one example) I personally will NOT discuss my exact finance commission % or stocking terms because finance companies reps and the general public have open access to it. 

And that is perfectly reasonable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

On another free trial.

Still not covinced it's worth paying for. Especially with "leads" like this!

I find it pays for itself alright.  You have to make sure they know a few standard replies and info you need them to get from the punter.  

You do get a few late night idiots, but the majority of the leads are fine I find, and it saves you missing people outside of business hours.  I just chase them in the evening via email and/or call them in the morning. 

The customers seem to like the service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EPV said:

Not moaning at all mate, just an opinion.  

It’s not so much learning from other traders although that’s a big plus for someone like me, it's more stopping plastics and billys from siphoning off free info when they give nowt back. 

Anyway, it was a draw ;) 

There are a few guys on here who's opinion I value highly and you are one of them, so we're good!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EPV said:

Cobblers. 

Fresh blood come in, ask questions, rarely post updates and replies and bugger off. From where i’m sat only myself and Mark101 are fresh blood that’s haven’t don’t that, and Mark has plenty of expertise so not sure you could count him as new blood to the industry. 

It’s not Masonic, it’s protecting our industry from free loaders and public eyes who will possibly use this forum to their advantage. Tradex has already encountered a scenario where a billy asked him if he was on this forum. 

If you’re a car dealer you’ll have trade insurance. If you do you shouldn’t mind offering that up as evidence, in return knowing that joe public won’t see the information offered here, for free. 

If you can tell me one advantage of this gold mine of info being made public, i’m all ears. I think i’ve made my point regarding the new blood argument. 90% of people who post regularly on here are established traders. 

James, I see your point but this is a “public” forum. You have access to the Trade forum if you want to post in Trade only. 

Or alternatively the IMDA forum is exclusively Trade only. 

4 hours ago, peter..o said:

I think the whole forum should be closed to us car dealers after all look at the title "CAR DEALER FORUM"a forum for car dealers not billy joe public,Another thing on prices is when we frequent our local far eastern quisine restaurant(or any other for that matter) and the bill arrives for(in our case last weeks family meal £245.00)do we say"will you take ££££'s or what discount,the bill is paid in full,whats the difference??? 

That would be fine if you had asked prior to consuming their service and goods. 

4 hours ago, EPV said:

Not moaning at all mate, just an opinion.  

It’s not so much learning from other traders although that’s a big plus for someone like me, it's more stopping plastics and billys from siphoning off free info when they give nowt back. 

Anyway, it was a draw ;) 

James, you keep saying free info ? We all contribute our knowledge and experience, that’s what this forum is about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

James, I see your point but this is a “public” forum. You have access to the Trade forum if you want to post in Trade only. 

Or alternatively the IMDA forum is exclusively Trade only. 

That would be fine if you had asked prior to consuming their service and goods. 

James, you keep saying free info ? We all contribute our knowledge and experience, that’s what this forum is about. 

It's free in the sense that you, Rory, Nick, TV, BHM et al, paid a lot of money to acquire your experience, you offer it up free. So it's free. Plastic traders, joe public, can come on here and siphon all that knowledge and wisdom for fuck all and not put anything back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EPV said:

It's free in the sense that you, Rory, Nick, TV, BHM et al, paid a lot of money to acquire your experience, you offer it up free. So it's free. Plastic traders, joe public, can come on here and siphon all that knowledge and wisdom for fuck all and not put anything back.

At least Benji gave us some entertainment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EPV said:

It's free in the sense that you, Rory, Nick, TV, BHM et al, paid a lot of money to acquire your experience, you offer it up free. So it's free. Plastic traders, joe public, can come on here and siphon all that knowledge and wisdom for fuck all and not put anything back.

Correct, it’s a public forum. It’s your choice whether you wish to help or contribute to others irrespective of their future contributions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Arfur Dealy said:

Correct, it’s a public forum. It’s your choice whether you wish to help or contribute to others irrespective of their future contributions. 

 

I don't think it should be public. I don't see the benefit to any trader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this