Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Christmas trade?

Recommended Posts

I'm in my first year of trading, been alright so far and just about to take it full time this Month.

What the Christmas period like for sales? Does it drop dead over November, December and January or does it just dip a little?

I can't remember ever waking up on Christmas morning to find that Father Christmas had bought me that M5 I asked for! 

I know it's impossible to tell the future, but hows has it been in previous years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what i’ve read on here mate when one trader is dead another is flying. I expect those months will be no different. Clearly less people will be buying from mid December to Mid Jan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my best months of the year being a first time buyer specialist (I don’t like that word but couldn’t think of another) 

We have a big rush of parents grand parents buying cars for there beloved off spring I am even starting to source additional stock to be advertising heavily at the start of November. 

Lots of cheesy Santa adds can see bhm turning his screen of as I type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, justina3 said:

One of my best months of the year being a first time buyer specialist (I don’t like that word but couldn’t think of another) 

We have a big rush of parents grand parents buying cars for there beloved off spring I am even starting to source additional stock to be advertising heavily at the start of November. 

Lots of cheesy Santa adds can see bhm turning his screen of as I type. 

He’s been hiding for ages, must be doing a few 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny month. Can be dead. Can be superb. Last week before christmas pretty dead but normally do a few the week between christmas and new year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi Mikey 360

it depends on what stock you sell

it was as twinged on if you do first car stuff then it can be very good all the way from pre xmas till early jan

however this m,arket changes all the time and last xmas was rubbish for me but this year might be better

more importantly make sure if you can to buy your stock before xmas for the following month because every man and his boy gets the xmas blues and think they can sell cars for a living so come january they all go down the block and everything turns to telephone numbers

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, boring dave said:

hi Mikey 360

it depends on what stock you sell

it was as twinged on if you do first car stuff then it can be very good all the way from pre xmas till early jan

however this m,arket changes all the time and last xmas was rubbish for me but this year might be better

more importantly make sure if you can to buy your stock before xmas for the following month because every man and his boy gets the xmas blues and think they can sell cars for a living so come january they all go down the block and everything turns to telephone numbers

 

Normally 3k-6k stuff, anything that's not a crap box really! 

And great tip on stocking up before everyone has a go! If anything I thought January would be quiet on the buying front

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Normally 3k-6k stuff, anything that's not a crap box really! 

And great tip on stocking up before everyone has a go! If anything I thought January would be quiet on the buying front

I think you may be in for an unpleasant surprise with regards to buying in January. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you need a car, december or june, you need a car ! i dont open up between xmas and new year, too many bored tyrekickers about, phone only, and only if they explain theyre desperate to view/need.

if memory serves me right pre xmas took a 2 or 3  depos last year, in no rush was collecting in new year so that was something to look forward in new year.

 Warning, folk get this idea over xmas that theyre going to trade a few in the new year [ "i used to do this job"] and turn up at the block jan, they have the parkers guide, and inflate prices, by the end of feb theyve found out paint doesnt dry, mechanics are bloody frozen and dont rush jobs, cars dont dry out, phone hasnt rung because there adverts all wrong, they've not fully worked out how much they've actually got IN a car, so by april its "i used to do this job" [ no you didnt mate] .

but as i said, if you need a car, you need a car, and if they phone me and they dont to me seem keen, they may phone you and you may take there money :D

Edited by have a word with the wife
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

You will sell cars between Xmas and new year. Goes surprisingly busy.

+1. 

October is usually busy as is the beginning of November. Then from mid-November it gets REALLY REALLY quiet and it's the best time of the year to re-stock if you auction buy. Sometimes it will be just you, the vendor rep and the auctioneer in the hall so make sure you don't bid against the walls. Garages are also quiet so then is the time to fix some troublesome cars that you've been hiding in the back of the yard. Early December also quiet and the phones start ringing after the 15th-20th. 

If you are not away on holiday it can get really busy from boxing day onwards. I think punters have been off of work for a few days, stuck at home in front of their laptops looking at Netflix and cars. Xmas puts many in a shopping mood, especially the ones that got cash gifts, bonus etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year nil sales in December, previous  years have been very very good, Best time of  year to stock up though as all major PLC liquidate there stock to make there accounts look better at end of year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2018 at 10:03 PM, SC Derby said:

We’ve had some really brilliant Decembers however last year was dire. 

Yep, there’s no point trying to second guess this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Job goes quietish in December, can usually sell a few between xmas and new year, put a few quid away every month to cope and have a good time with the family, January is usually busy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this