Sign in to follow this  
david gott

Another fun valuation

Recommended Posts

Dave, ask your Factors about buying a full of gas (half sized) bottle, most do this now, so you pay £80.00 first one, absolutely no other fees apart from swap it for a full one about £35.00 when you run out.

I was, like you, paying Air Products and BOC rentals, until the local factor started doing these ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Dave, ask your Factors about buying a full of gas (half sized) bottle, most do this now, so you pay £80.00 first one, absolutely no other fees apart from swap it for a full one about £35.00 when you run out.

I was, like you, paying Air Products and BOC rentals, until the local factor started doing these ;)

yes the oxy acetiline is on the rental of bottles for life

so thanks anyway

i also have been getting the 47kg propane for heating so ive just kept the contract running

thing is they have been charging me £84 a bottle propane and ive just changed to £58 another supplier

quite a difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2019 at 9:40 PM, Linctrader said:

Moving this conversation on from mazda 323s but keeping it very much on the idea of the 'modern classic', I don't suppose any of you were in Enfield yesterday for the BMW sale (I have bmw Park Lane in my head but not sure if correct). 

Anyway, 

I had spied a 44k mile 1996 vw vento for sale on the bca app, 1 owner and no less than 20 main dealer stamps and being into old volkswagens I thought I might have a cheeky bid. 

Grade 4, out of mot but failed it's test on minor stuff plus it was an auto so never going to be worth fortunes. 

Got in front of the screen to watch a 65 plate Cayenne make 34k then a merc eclass almost 7k and the auctioneer was rattling through the cars rightly as they do... 

Then came the trip down memory lane. 

'Gentlemen, there are few times in our lives when we are able to have a snapshot into what life was like 20 years ago... And here we have this opportunity' (or some such guff) 

It was like the world slowed down and I turned to my wife and said well that's this thing now going to be sold for fortunes, just watch. 

She turned round and said, 'why what does it cap at? ' (I nearly missed the auction laughing at her) 

So I stuck a bid in at £100, then they moved it up to start at £900, so I thought fuck it - a grand, it has to be worth 2-2.5k sitting pretty to the right buyer. 

It finished at two grand. 

Plus fees, plus mot and any prep it needs. 

Soon to be found on ebay at 6k and festering on some lot for the next 2-3 years until the buyer gets sensible and realises they haven't a mission. 

But, maybe it was a private nutter or maybe the trader is an optimist.

Im still sore at missing it for a grand mind. 

 

Got it wrong on the Vento, it isn't up for 6k...its up for 7 ffs. 

Mind you, it does look smart and the guy is also selling a 175k Diablo so I would say he could wait for the day it eventually sells. 

Makes the sale price of 2k plus tip seem bargainous! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Linctrader said:

Got it wrong on the Vento, it isn't up for 6k...its up for 7 ffs. 

Mind you, it does look smart and the guy is also selling a 175k Diablo so I would say he could wait for the day it eventually sells. 

Makes the sale price of 2k plus tip seem bargainous! 

not really

everything is only worth what people will pay

some people have more money than us so can buy and wait.................and hope

35 years ago a trader i knew had had a marina in his yard over a year,i said he was mad,he said i gave £400 for it if someone gives me £401 im happy

so there you go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love stories like these, something a bit older which not your normal stock profile, can be the best profits. I had a Rover 75 Connoisseur last month which I paid £425 for and sold 2 days later for £1795. My MOT guy laughed at me when I drove it in.

I also took in an 2002 Audi A4 3.0 V6 Quattro which I paid over book for as it’s only got 50k on the clock and one owner from new. I thought it has the potential as a “future classic” but a few traders I’ve spoken to reckon it’s not worth much....time will tell I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2019 at 0:24 PM, Dave2302 said:

I got Fiat for peanuts in 1979 'cos it had failed on sills and Inner Floorpan edges, nicked it off a local skint guy ;)

I wore that "Clarke" Mig out on all the Mini's and Escort 1's and 2's I had back then :laugh:

My S/C Merc S Class has Pulleys, Carlsson Back Boxes and De Cat, that thing sounds evil on both overrun and WOT :) 

Funny those days. I remember the rusty Lancia's and Alfa's, even Mk3 cortina top mounts going and creasing bonnets! But you 'never' saw a broken coil spring like you do now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, met said:

Funny those days. I remember the rusty Lancia's and Alfa's, even Mk3 cortina top mounts going and creasing bonnets! But you 'never' saw a broken coil spring like you do now!

Coil springs weren’t made in China then.What about Mk 1 Cortinas,the bonnet catch would not hold and it was normal for the bonnets to fly up against then screen.We just straightened them as best we could and filled them with bodge and sold them on .150% mark ups were not unusual.As a 17 year old,my basic was £8 and used to earn £150 per week ....no kidding....I can sense you guys cringeing .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Coil springs weren’t made in China then.What about Mk 1 Cortinas,the bonnet catch would not hold and it was normal for the bonnets to fly up against then screen.We just straightened them as best we could and filled them with bodge and sold them on .150% mark ups were not unusual.As a 17 year old,my basic was £8 and used to earn £150 per week ....no kidding....I can sense you guys cringeing .

Just for you TV - come and work for me, I will even match that wage :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Just for you TV - come and work for me, I will even match that wage :lol:

Thank you Mark.As I work for ‘nothing now’,that would be an improvement !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trade vet said:

Thank you Mark.As I work for ‘nothing now’,that would be an improvement !

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this