Wood235

Vauxhall Mokka starting fault..... Help please.

Recommended Posts

I have a 2013 Vauxhall mokka 1.4 petrol 34k and am pulling hair out trying to resolve a problem & wonder if anyone can please help?
When starting, it randomly spins over continuously the first time and won't start but if you turn key off and turn again it starts instantly and runs fine. 

It's had new ECU, had programming updates, new crank sensor, genuine coil pack but we can't seem to get to the bottom of it.
It's had a vauxhall tech working on it for several weeks plus a local highly rated auto electrician who has resolved endless problems for us.

Has anyone had this or got any good solutions please?

Many thanks
Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No answer other than guesswork to this without looking at live data when it is doing the fault.

I'd try a decent brand OEM Crank Sensor such as Bosch, forget Intermotor and other Chinese factor shite ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar issue on a Jag albeit diesel and the problem was eventually diagnosed to fuel pressure dropping off and this was only diagnosed when (as Dave says) live data was read. 

Not completely relevant I know but something to think about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, you need to establish why it's not starting, fuel cut-off, no spark, no crank signal etc. Once you know that you can go down the right path. It sounds like 'no fuel' considering it starts perfect second time around, without any spluttering, misfiring etc. Immobiliser would be a probable cause. If nothing stored in BCM I'd be looking for dropped comms on crank between BCM and engine ecu. If engine ecu doesn't receive the right password from bcm it will cut fuel supply. The BCM may be falking out or excessive voltage drop (starter, connectors, earths etc) giving it problems.

First steps would be to see what the cause of the non start is then figure out why its happening..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITS A VAUXHALL

next:lol:

could even be a loom issue

with it being a vauxhall it could even be an ignition switch issue if it has one

cars like this need standing back from and a fresh appraisal before doing anything

io wont say where i do my appraisals before i go to work:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again everyone, thanks for your suggestions. The car has been connected to live data when the guy at Vauxhall’s had it. Likewise when auto electrician had it too. The crank sensor was replaced with a genuine one and not a cheap one.

fuel pressure was checked but showed no obvious signs of faults.

Immobiliser, I would have thought would show a warning light whilst cranking?

I was hoping that someone may have actually had this problem before and might have that snippet of info that could relieve us of this awful headache.

Thanks guys.

Gsry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, the guy who has had it trying to sort it for me is a Vauxhall technician and has resolved many cars for me before. He has access to any Vauxhall diagnostics and the usual log on and link directly with Vauxhall themselves. 

I will mention all of the different things you are suggesting as he is as keen to sort it for me as I am to get it done.

thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has it had an ECU software update?  this car may have a timing chain issue and have fault **CODES** deleted?

 

I know you have replaced the ECU but did you clone the old one?

 

Will it start every time with a bump?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I have a Vauxhall 17 cdti teckline and sometimes only after I’ve drive it for a while and then maybe stop At shops or watever when I put my foot down in clutch to start engine it sounds like a tractor trying to start and then I try again and it starts can anyone help with advice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Stephen1234 said:

Hi I have a Vauxhall 17 cdti teckline and sometimes only after I’ve drive it for a while and then maybe stop At shops or watever when I put my foot down in clutch to start engine it sounds like a tractor trying to start and then I try again and it starts can anyone help with advice 

Had a similar situation with a 1.7 Mokka earlier in the year, was making some really strange noises on start up, not all the time it has to be said. Replaced the DMF and clutch and problem solved. Probably not what you wanted to hear on a monday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, tradex said:

Ahh, the old Vauxhall '17 teckline' , incredibly rare model that, worth hanging to. 

Any suggestions what the prob would be it only happens once a week or so 

I didn’t realise they were incredibly rare are they good and would you recommend or can you give me any info about my problem

13 hours ago, sparky said:

Had a similar situation with a 1.7 Mokka earlier in the year, was making some really strange noises on start up, not all the time it has to be said. Replaced the DMF and clutch and problem solved. Probably not what you wanted to hear on a monday morning.

Much did it cost to fix it mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can a be sure it’s the clutch ave had it at 2 different clutch garages and they couldn’t find anything referring to a nackered dmf or clutch as they said it wid be rattleing but car drives great ,just now and again as in once a week maybe it makes a ruff blblblblblbl on start up then it starts 

Sorry a ment nackered clutch or dmf

Edited by Stephen1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stephen1234 said:

blblblblblbl

I’ve never heard a sound like that before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stephen1234 said:

How can a be sure it’s the clutch ave had it at 2 different clutch garages and they couldn’t find anything referring to a nackered dmf or clutch as they said it wid be rattleing but car drives great ,just now and again as in once a week maybe it makes a ruff blblblblblbl on start up then it starts 

Sorry a ment nackered clutch or dmf

Mine was the same. Thankfully my man is clued up as I was astounded he said it was the DMF as that's a noise we all know and love. There were no traditional signs of it being knackered,  but as ever, he was right. New DMF, clutch, bolts etc and I've never seen the car since, that was six months ago on a 55k Mokka.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for the info guys al update u on it as it’s going in on Wednesday and the guy is a genuine reliable guy who’s been in business for 30 yrs so he will pull it apart and prob will be a renew of dmf and clutch all keep u all posted and thanks again for the help it’s appreciated 

Battery was tested and came back as good on battery tester 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 9:01 PM, Stephen1234 said:

Cheers for the info guys al update u on it as it’s going in on Wednesday and the guy is a genuine reliable guy who’s been in business for 30 yrs so he will pull it apart and prob will be a renew of dmf and clutch all keep u all posted and thanks again for the help it’s appreciated 

Battery was tested and came back as good on battery tester 

What was the final outcome of this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.