Trader86

Confused and 100% Undecided

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Warley said:

Thanks for asking the original question trader. I'm in almost exactly the same position as you but with less experience re sales on the board.  I'm a mechanic though with a specialisation in landrovers so was hoping to supplement sales income with servicing and repairs to landys in a country town. The comments have been very sobering and useful. I'm off to my first auction on Monday and will be trying not to look like a newbie. Hope to be buying on the Tuesday. (Early Range rover sport and mini clubman).

Thanks again. This site is a great resource. 

Specialising in Landrovers Wow ! where are you setting up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warley said:

Thanks for asking the original question trader. I'm in almost exactly the same position as you but with less experience re sales on the board.  I'm a mechanic though with a specialisation in landrovers so was hoping to supplement sales income with servicing and repairs to landys in a country town. The comments have been very sobering and useful. I'm off to my first auction on Monday and will be trying not to look like a newbie. Hope to be buying on the Tuesday. (Early Range rover sport and mini clubman).

Thanks again. This site is a great resource. 

Don’t jump on someone’s post. 

Introduce yourself properly to this forum if you want help and support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Don’t jump on someone’s post. 

Introduce yourself properly to this forum if you want help and support. 

That's a bit harsh

If you read his post he has logged in to thank the original poster only

I dont see where he has asked for any help

This forum relies on fresh blood

I've never introduced myself just like in my local pub I dont stand at the door shouting free drinks for all

I'm off to try and hold the roof on, on my house now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

That's a bit harsh

If you read his post he has logged in to thank the original poster only

I dont see where he has asked for any help

This forum relies on fresh blood

I've never introduced myself just like in my local pub I dont stand at the door shouting free drinks for all

I'm off to try and hold the roof on, on my house now

Yeah definitely harsh!


Welcome to my thread Mr Landrover expert, so yeah we both seem to have bit of a dilemma..

I think I have made my mind up which will probably change next week..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

That's a bit harsh

If you read his post he has logged in to thank the original poster only

I dont see where he has asked for any help

This forum relies on fresh blood

I've never introduced myself just like in my local pub I dont stand at the door shouting free drinks for all

I'm off to try and hold the roof on, on my house now

WOKE. This forum is a chatroom for wannabees...  its an introduction to join the confirmed TRADE forum where there is a wealth of help and support......... 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

WOKE. This forum is a chatroom for wannabees...  its an introduction to join the confirmed TRADE forum where there is a wealth of help and support......... 

AD This guy is a specialist Land Rover repairer and he could be a valuable contact for someone on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Welcome.

If you've got the confidence and determination to make it happen, you will do, its all in your mind, you have to have the right attitude...I couldn't image anything more boring than being a warehouse manager (no offence). Making money for yourself is a mindset and its hard work, but its worth every penny ..

How much cash do you have to invest in the business ?    

Around 20k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Trader86 said:

I only presumed so as I managed to sell 4 last week with only 7 cars listed. But thanks for heads up. 

For God’s sake please don’t expect to turn over 4 out of 7 every week, because you won’t. I can have 20 & can sell sweet f.a. in a week. Also out of about 20 I can have in 7 waiting (from the block, valeters, MOT, specialist, mechanic etc. etc.). My guess is you’ve yet to be caught by a couple of shitters & had a few four figure financial hits - when you do (and you will!) & still want to do this then you know you’re cut out for the job.

You sound like you’ve put some thought into this and you’re starting from a similar point to me about 15 years ago. My advice to anyone thinking of packing up a job would be to get a couple of years really learning this job (auction trends & the general public are the main points) and make sure you can at least earn a wage. I was fortunate in that I’d accrued a pot of money & didn’t have much of a mortgage. I don’t know your personal circumstances (and they’re none of my business) but how much money you have in the bank, family commitments & how much, if any, debt you carry would influence my decision because I’d hate to see someone new to any business struggle & end up homeless.

After saying all that I wouldn’t go back to being a PAYE man & there is money to be made if you’re prepared to work. One final thing, don’t believe all of the Billy Bullshitters you’re going to meet in this game.

Good luck!

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Warley said:

 I'm off to my first auction on Monday and will be trying not to look like a newbie. Hope to be buying on the Tuesday. (Early Range rover sport and mini clubman).

Buying Rangies and Minis?  Good that you are a mechanic!  Set youself up as a LR/RR and Mini repair specialist and you'll never be short of work!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all, apologies for jumping in and not doing it properly. Saw traders thread and got a lot from it. Didn't think to much, just registered and replied. 

The plan is to set up in Hereford, I've got some car dealing experience overseas (Oz) sold a small indy landrover service and sales garage 3 years ago, been looking for the next venture ever since.

Good luck with your deliberarions trader. 

6 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Buying Rangies and Minis?  Good that you are a mechanic!  Set youself up as a LR/RR and Mini repair specialist and you'll never be short of work!

Thanks halfpenny. That's the plan, specialisation has worked before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Warley said:

 

Thanks halfpenny. That's the plan, specialisation has worked before. 

Ok. Hereford is a nice place and a good place to be for LR/RR specialist. 15-20 years ago we used to buy LPG kits from a supplier in Hereford. I went over a few times to pick stuff up. Can't remember the name now but he had a nice little operation there. Maybe still there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I move from Brum to Hereford in two weeks. Looking a a couple of sites in the meantime, trialling a couple if auctions and buying a couple hopefully to kick off. I'll start a separate thread when I get over there, I have a heap of questions but won't take up any more space here.

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Warley said:

I move from Brum to Hereford in two weeks. Looking a a couple of sites in the meantime, trialling a couple if auctions and buying a couple hopefully to kick off. I'll start a separate thread when I get over there, I have a heap of questions but won't take up any more space here.

Thanks again.

Ideal for Brightwells.Plenty of Landrover stuff there.I am sure you will do well,good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Warley said:

Hello all, apologies for jumping in and not doing it properly. Saw traders thread and got a lot from it. Didn't think to much, just registered and replied. 

The plan is to set up in Hereford, I've got some car dealing experience overseas (Oz) sold a small indy landrover service and sales garage 3 years ago, been looking for the next venture ever since.

Good luck with your deliberarions trader. 

Thanks halfpenny. That's the plan, specialisation has worked before. 

No need to apologise to me, not sure when AD was appointed moderator of this forum but hey ho.

I know a couple of LR specialists ( one dealing purely in classics) who have done very well out of them. I've often thought of getting into them as if ever a location suited them it's North Wales but didn't want to go down the route of employing mechanics and setting up extra workshops to keep the bloody things on the road. Stick to what you know and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Halfpenny said:

Ok. Hereford is a nice place and a good place to be for LR/RR specialist. 15-20 years ago we used to buy LPG kits from a supplier in Hereford. I went over a few times to pick stuff up. Can't remember the name now but he had a nice little operation there. Maybe still there?

LPG conversions.We got into them early doors when John Prescott said government grants were availible for conversions.We had several done and applied for the  money and were told the grant allocation had been taken up for the year.This was about 3 months after Prescotts announcement ! It was all bullshit as far as we could see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

LPG conversions.We got into them early doors when John Prescott said government grants were availible for conversions.We had several done and applied for the  money and were told the grant allocation had been taken up for the year.This was about 3 months after Prescotts announcement ! It was all bullshit as far as we could see.

There was a fuel tanker drivers strike around 2000 IIRC and that seemed to generate quite a bit of interest for us. We did quite a few conversions. It died off after a few years. Still think they make sense though. I am semi-retired now and spend half the year in SE Asia (where I am writing now - by the beach  in 30deg and clear blue skies). There are about 100 000 taxis in Bangkok - nearly all Toyota Corollas running LPG or NGV. Its about 30p a litre. Petrol is 65p a litre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sparky said:

No need to apologise to me, not sure when AD was appointed moderator of this forum but hey ho.

I know a couple of LR specialists ( one dealing purely in classics) who have done very well out of them. I've often thought of getting into them as if ever a location suited them it's North Wales but didn't want to go down the route of employing mechanics and setting up extra workshops to keep the bloody things on the road. Stick to what you know and all that.

I can't think of anything worse than specialising in Landrover product. The comebacks, the screamers, the clientele... Hate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

There was a fuel tanker drivers strike around 2000 IIRC and that seemed to generate quite a bit of interest for us. We did quite a few conversions. It died off after a few years. Still think they make sense though. I am semi-retired now and spend half the year in SE Asia (where I am writing now - by the beach  in 30deg and clear blue skies). There are about 100 000 taxis in Bangkok - nearly all Toyota Corollas running LPG or NGV. Its about 30p a litre. Petrol is 65p a litre.

Ha Ha ,I didn’t mean LPG was bullshit,I was referring to John Prescott !  100,000 taxis in Bangkok ! but how many go south of the river ? Enjoy .

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

I can't think of anything worse than specialising in Landrover product. The comebacks, the screamers, the clientele... Hate them.

 Being good at mending them must be awfull.Loads of work at £150 per hour.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Ha Ha ,I didn’t mean LPG was bullshit,I was referring to John Prescott !  100,000 taxis in Bangkok ! but how many go south of the river ? Enjoy .

I think the latest figure is 120 000 taxis. Probably 100 000 on the road at any time. They're mostly Corollas. Kept for 8 years or about 700 000km.  Reliable and easy to get fixed. There are repairers who will pull out an engine, rebuild and refit while the driver has his lunch! I have enormous respect for the Toyota 1ZZFE (1.8) engines in the older taxis - seen some of those hit 1million km without the head ever having been off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

I think the latest figure is 120 000 taxis. Probably 100 000 on the road at any time. They're mostly Corollas. Kept for 8 years or about 700 000km.  Reliable and easy to get fixed. There are repairers who will pull out an engine, rebuild and refit while the driver has his lunch! I have enormous respect for the Toyota 1ZZFE (1.8) engines in the older taxis - seen some of those hit 1million km without the head ever having been off. 

Interesting,you appear to know about taxis.Being nosey,do you rent out a few of them like they do here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Interesting,you appear to know about taxis.Being nosey,do you rent out a few of them like they do here.

No, I'm not involved in the taxi business here, however a good friend of mine is a very talented mechanic with his own repair business and I often chat with him so have picked up a lot of local knowledge over the years.

Toyota and Honda rule the car market here and Toyota and Isuzu for pickups and SUVs. VAG have not made much of an inroad and Ford are perceived to be poor quality. Bear in mind that typical daytime temperatures are over 30 degrees. Over 40 deg. in the hot season. Can you imagine what happened to the 1.0 Ford Ecobust engines when introduced here? They were soon withdrawn from the market. French and Italian cars are very rare. Most European cars just don't handle the environment - weak aircon and marginal cooling, plus the suspension falls apart on rough rural roads.  The Toyota I keep here has a double-layer radiator and an aircon compressor the size of a lawnmower engine. I get icy air blowing within about 5 seconds of starting the engine. Corrosion is not a problem, and so plenty of older cars around with 300k+ km. If you change the oil occasionally and look after the cooling system those old Toyotas just never die. Massive respect from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Halfpenny said:

No, I'm not involved in the taxi business here, however a good friend of mine is a very talented mechanic with his own repair business and I often chat with him so have picked up a lot of local knowledge over the years.

Toyota and Honda rule the car market here and Toyota and Isuzu for pickups and SUVs. VAG have not made much of an inroad and Ford are perceived to be poor quality. Bear in mind that typical daytime temperatures are over 30 degrees. Over 40 deg. in the hot season. Can you imagine what happened to the 1.0 Ford Ecobust engines when introduced here? They were soon withdrawn from the market. French and Italian cars are very rare. Most European cars just don't handle the environment - weak aircon and marginal cooling, plus the suspension falls apart on rough rural roads.  The Toyota I keep here has a double-layer radiator and an aircon compressor the size of a lawnmower engine. I get icy air blowing within about 5 seconds of starting the engine. Corrosion is not a problem, and so plenty of older cars around with 300k+ km. If you change the oil occasionally and look after the cooling system those old Toyotas just never die. Massive respect from me.

Just out of interest, are Land Rover products well thought of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sparky said:

No need to apologise to me, not sure when AD was appointed moderator of this forum but hey ho.

I know a couple of LR specialists ( one dealing purely in classics) who have done very well out of them. I've often thought of getting into them as if ever a location suited them it's North Wales but didn't want to go down the route of employing mechanics and setting up extra workshops to keep the bloody things on the road. Stick to what you know and all that.

I'm as much a MOD as you are a positive help and influence.....

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, metcars said:

Just out of interest, are Land Rover products well thought of?

No!  There is a fair bit of interest in 'classic' Landrovers, in fact a Thai friend on mine is looking for one right now as a weekend car. There is a company in Bangkok that restores them from the ground up.  Classic cars inc classic Jap and US cars fetch high prices.  New JLR products are very thin on the ground. They are not considered reliable.  I have only ever seen one or two late model Range Rovers. Can't remember the last time I saw a new Jag. For status people buy a Benz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

New JLR products are very thin on the ground. They are not considered reliable.

:lol::lol: That must be the understatement of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.