Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

the plan is to establish if you can legally apply compare the market method on new items to secondhand items. read back

its not like anyone else does is it or let me know if they do. Would you expect price indicators on Rightmove??

its not like anyone else does is it or let me know if they do. Would you expect price indicators on Rightmove??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, metcars said:

Wasn’t IMDA supposed to be dealing with this?

:lol:

3 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

its not like anyone else does is it or let me know if they do. Would you expect price indicators on Rightmove??

its not like anyone else does is it or let me know if they do. Would you expect price indicators on Rightmove??

You have the choice NOT to use them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beckly car sales said:

taking legal action against Autotrader

Just read back as instructed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

sorry but this is just nonsense, which law would you use ? misdescribed ? no its not, READ autotraders way of valuing, and see where they get the figures from ? 

sorry didn't realise autotrasers trade prices were correct what a dunce i am . As for what law thats exactly my point, find out if they can apply a price valuation on something they have not seen.read back. have you even questioned any of this or do you just do what your told and carry on

LOOK INSTEAD OF DEFENDING AUTOTRADER can anyone please tell me of any other second hand items platform that have price indicators on items for sale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

sorry didn't realise autotrasers trade prices were correct what a dunce i am . As for what law thats exactly my point, find out if they can apply a price valuation on something they have not seen.read back. have you even questioned any of this or do you just do what your told and carry on

read autotraders way of valuing vehicles, give you a clue its in the small print of value my car

To ensure our prices are accurate, we combine data from:

 

  • Auto Trader

    over half a million car adverts on our site

  • Dealer websites

    over 3,500 dealer websites

  • Car auctions

    values from major car auctions

  • Fleet and leasing

    ex-fleet and leasing car values

     

    ok ?

    i do not do as i am told, EVER, HAVE NOT USED AUTOTRADER FOR MORE YEARS THAN I CARE TO REMEMBER AND DO NOT LET THEM TELL ME HOW TO VALUE MY CARS, OR WHICH CARS TO BUY, AS SEEMS TO APPLY TO YOU, APOLOGY EXPECTED :)

Edited by have a word with the wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

sorry didn't realise autotrasers trade prices were correct what a dunce i am . As for what law thats exactly my point, find out if they can apply a price valuation on something they have not seen.read back. have you even questioned any of this or do you just do what your told and carry on

LOOK INSTEAD OF DEFENDING AUTOTRADER can anyone please tell me of any other second hand items platform that have price indicators on items for sale

This just shows how new you are, you have to adapt to the market, you can't control how business changes. Adapt or fail.

THIS is the most honest answer you'll get. 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh deary  deary me

ffs im wasting my time

Just now, Arfur Dealy said:

This just shows how new you are, you have to adapt to the market, you can't control how business changes. Adapt or fail.

did you not start off sometime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

oh deary  deary me

ffs im wasting my time

did you not start off sometime?

What do you want ? Someone with experience to manage you ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

What do you want ? Someone with experience to manage you ? 

not at all don't know where you get that opinion of me from i can assure you ill live by the sword and die by the sword. As i will do in this case i will try and do something about what i believe to be a prejudiced marketing policy by auto trader with or without any support. I only asked for peoples opinion on price indicators, the legality of it and if anyone would support any action against them in the unlikely event that they were acting improperly. Is that ok or are you the grandmaster of the old boys club of dealers

Edited by beckly car sales

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beckly car sales said:

Are there any dealers out there to help organise a group and chip in to seek legal advice with a view to taking legal action against Autotrader. In my view it cannot be legal for any company to pass judgement and value a secondhand item especially one that they have not physically seen. There must be something we can do. Looking for people that are motivated. Please let me know your thoughts

This won't work seriously. If you are not shifting enough stock then maybe it's time to adapt like Ad said and see where it takes you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tony911 said:

This won't work seriously. If you are not shifting enough stock then maybe it's time to adapt like Ad said and see where it takes you. 

thanks for the input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

the plan is to establish if you can legally apply compare the market method on new items to secondhand items. read back

I think most dealers agree with you that price markers are unfair and inaccurate.AT reps will be getting it in the neck every day.I think they will be gone by the autumn because dealers en mass will be reducing their AT listings.Its a PLC and this will show through in their results and could effect the share price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, trade vet said:

I think most dealers agree with you that price markers are unfair and inaccurate.AT reps will be getting it in the neck every day.I think they will be gone by the autumn because dealers en mass will be reducing their AT listings.Its a PLC and this will show through in their results and could effect the share price.

i hope your right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

i hope your right

You do not need Autoraper. They're not the be all and end all that they once (perhaps) were. 

Blockbuster video. 
 

You should have spent your evening not letting the shysters get you angry. 
 

You have zero chance of changing anything. I wish I was wrong, but I’m not. 

To quote AD from years ago on here: ‘Mr Customer does not want a cheap parachute’. Those that do, you do not want as your customer. 

So what if you have a high price marker? 
 

Use it to your advantage or better still, vote with your feet and save the dough/put it elsewhere. Or just do as suggested above and just pick and choose what you do advertise with Dick Turpin. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SC Derby said:

It’s just a guide like cap etc ?

should they be banned aswell

WBAC similarly 

cap guide is on items that are not being offered for sale at a determined price and will be decided by market prices on the day in the hall. AT price indicators are their judgement on a fixed price set by the seller on an item he owns .It is very different

7 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

You do not need Autoraper. They're not the be all and end all that they once (perhaps) were. 

Blockbuster video. 
 

You should have spent your evening not letting the shysters get you angry. 
 

You have zero chance of changing anything. I wish I was wrong, but I’m not. 

To quote AD from years ago on here: ‘Mr Customer does not want a cheap parachute’. Those that do, you do not want as your customer. 

So what if you have a high price marker? 
 

Use it to your advantage or better still, vote with your feet and save the dough/put it elsewhere. Or just do as suggested above and just pick and choose what you do advertise with Dick Turpin. 

well they robbed me for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beckly car sales said:

cap guide is on items that are not being offered for sale at a determined price and will be decided by market prices on the day in the hall. AT price indicators are their judgement on a fixed price set by the seller on an item he owns .It is very different

Leave and then attempt to sue them for the failure of your business.... That's your argument

Its ridiculous 

You are a business, you make your own fortune. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

cap guide is on items that are not being offered for sale at a determined price and will be decided by market prices on the day in the hall. AT price indicators are their judgement on a fixed price set by the seller on an item he owns .It is very different

well they robbed me for sure

It's not. The prices for the most part are not fixed. They are governed by market forces, unlike a tin of beans at Tesco.

AT price indicators are a visual display of whether a car is under or over priced in accordance with their valuation, or guide. That's all. They are not claiming to have an RRP or MRP, it even says when you hover over their actual price marker;

"We've compared the price to our Auto Trader Valuation and rated it a low price compared to similar cars on the market. Check the vehicle description or ask the seller to understand why it's priced below market."

They are saying "we have valued this car at £xyz based on similar cars and this particular car advertised is lower than the valuation"

They are doing nothing wrong legally, by venturing an opinion and opining that other cars are either over or under that price.

Don't you think that a massive organisation like AT would have consulted legal experts? And you think Trading Standards (who are little more than glorified Citizens Advice workers) know better than a £300 per hour solicitor that Autotrader probably hired?

Nobody forces AT on you, nobody made you sell all your stock and buy something else, we all learn each day in this industry and make our own decisions. Live and die by the sword. 

 

Edited by EPV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EPV said:

It's not. The prices for the most part are not fixed. They are governed by market forces, unlike a tin of beans at Tesco.

AT price indicators are a visual display of whether a car is under or over priced in accordance with their valuation, or guide. That's all. They are not claiming to have an RRP or MRP, it even says when you hover over their actual price marker;

"We've compared the price to our Auto Trader Valuation and rated it a low price compared to similar cars on the market. Check the vehicle description or ask the seller to understand why it's priced below market."

They are saying "we have valued this car at £xyz based on similar cars and this particular car advertised is lower than the valuation"

They are doing nothing wrong legally, by venturing an opinion and opining that other cars are either over or under that price.

Don't you think that a massive organisation like AT would have consulted legal experts? And you think Trading Standards (who are little more than glorified Citizens Advice workers) know better than a £300 per hour solicitor that Autotrader probably hired?

Nobody forces AT on you, nobody made you sell all your stock and buy something else, we all learn each day in this industry and make our own decisions. Live and die by the sword. 

 

i told him, but he is not listening ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well actually I'm not sure AT thought about it or the legality of it at all really.Why would they introduce a policy which is according to nearly everyone on here going to hurt them.

Remain or leave all over again;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, beckly car sales said:

not at all don't know where you get that opinion of me from i can assure you ill live by the sword and die by the sword. As i will do in this case i will try and do something about what i believe to be a prejudiced marketing policy by auto trader with or without any support. I only asked for peoples opinion on price indicators, the legality of it and if anyone would support any action against them in the unlikely event that they were acting improperly. Is that ok or are you the grandmaster of the old boys club of dealers

Im totally with you with this, I think there is a legal challenge relating to Autotrader price indicators, but from a consumer prospective,

A Good price indicator for example being used for a vehicle with no service history and 10+ owners and a huge list of MOT advisories This is clearly misleading customers as these are not taken into account with the indicators. The reality is there must be customers who have been stung by this but we will never know who these people are as they do not have a forum like this to post on, Autotrader will certainly know who they are but will not share this information, The number however small will definitely exist

I totally disagree with the points that Autotrader are fixed on not removing price indicators, They are a business, they are there to make money, not help dealers or offer customers transparency, plain simple make money, bring more people to the directory, hence more sales, they believe this will bring more customers to them or help them to keep up with other platforms who implement price indicators,

One thing is for sure, if a few hundred dealers all spoke up and made themselves heard at the Autotrader headquarters, im sure they would get the result they want, unfortunately this wont happen as most dealers are concerned about the now and not where this is heading. its a shame,

the autotrader terms and conditions allow them to cancel your account if you take legal action against them, the solution here is only if dealers formed an organisation to safeguard themselves against obstacles like this, will it happen, no, as most are struggling and happy head is above water while others are sinking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, beckly car sales said:

well actually I'm not sure AT thought about it or the legality of it at all really.Why would they introduce a policy which is according to nearly everyone on here going to hurt them.

You're muddling up legalities and whats best for AT. 

There is no question at all they would have sought expensive legal advice, if you have ever worked in a large organisation, in any industry, you will know this. If you haven't, I have, trust me, AT take legal advice every time their tea ladies have a fag.

Whether the price markers hurt small indys (which is what mostly everyone on here is) doesn't matter to AT. They make FORTUNES by selling data to big franchises and supermarkets alone, never mind the revenue from the advertising.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.