Sign in to follow this  
chrishowie

PX help, what to do?

Recommended Posts

Good Morning all.

A bit of a strange one you will laugh about / or at me!

I've avoided taking part exchanges on the cheaper end of the market for almost 20 years. Anything that arrived I traded or scrapped. ( Local mechanic being my best trader!)

Last week I got 3 cheapies in for cheapies! So decided to clean them up and shove them on facebook. They drove to me and I gave them a valet and checked all levels.

All have 6 months plus MOT and tidy. I've put them up at just above cost to get the spaces back.

But, I'm actually dreading comebacks and complaints from them. Reading some posts it puts the fear of god in me.

Example. 308 sold for £2k, 206 taken in px. Gave £500. Valeted and levels checked. Quick test drive, advertised £550 with known issues ( handbrake high and rear wiper not working).

Up to 30 replies from people wanting to come down within 24 hours.

How would anyone go on selling this? It is so cheap as I just want the space and £500 back + valet + petrol back.

Would most just avoid this end? Or pick sensible people to sell to? Or just scrap them and move on? Interested to know other peoples take on the cheaper end!!

Everything else I advertise on AT comes with 12 months mot, serviced and PDI inc all chips and scuffs + alloys sorted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold an R53 Cooper S via FB and felt the same. In the end I binned the last price brigade and went with the buyer who seemed clued up and sensible (driving instructor) In some ways the faults helped, declared at time of sale and clear the car wasn’t a normal retail car. However....can’t pretend I didn’t worry about a call for the first few weeks after it sold. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not worth half retailing something screamers are almost always worse on the cheaper end.

Considered putting them on the trade 2 trade facebook group at cost + Drink ? Will get you some proper bids and get them sold without come backs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You get some great value cheapies these days but the precautions and time you have to take qualifying punters to comply with CR 15 legislation makes it not worth the bother selling them.Also the expectations and maintenance skills of the majority of today’s cheapy punters are different from bygone days.Why is it often the case with punters who live 300 miles away and desparetly want to buy something under a grand that they get annoyed when you advise them to buy something on their doorstep.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brutal advert. Sell it as an unchecked px / trailer away etc etc write in advert suit a trader to buy who can safety check mint up for profit etc.

Sell electively.  30 people to choose who to sell to. Sell to an eastern european, mechanic type bloke. Don't sell to a guy in company car turning up for his sons first car or a woman with young kids who just wants a cheap car you know as long as it lasts a year or 2 without spending any money on it will be fine type.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, trade vet said:

You get some great value cheapies these days but the precautions and time you have to take qualifying punters to comply with CR 15 legislation makes it not worth the bother selling them.Also the expectations and maintenance skills of the majority of today’s cheapy punters are different from bygone days.Why is it often the case with punters who live 300 miles away and desparetly want to buy something under a grand that they get annoyed when you advise them to buy something on their doorstep.

That is what worries me as I like to think I do everything by the book and actually like to go above and beyond to help people...

7 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Brutal advert. Sell it as an unchecked px / trailer away etc etc write in advert suit a trader to buy who can safety check mint up for profit etc.

Sell electively.  30 people to choose who to sell to. Sell to an eastern european, mechanic type bloke. Don't sell to a guy in company car turning up for his sons first car or a woman with young kids who just wants a cheap car you know as long as it lasts a year or 2 without spending any money on it will be fine type.

 

 

Totally agree. I know I can jsut throw their money back at them if they start moaning but I do question the line of its a cheap car so expectations should be that in line with the price, age and miles etc etc.

Also watched a great program on the FPace Jaguar being built. The main guy being interviewed from Jaguar stated, " people are buying a luxury car and have the expectations of it lasting 10 years". If that is how long they expect new cars to last, how the hell are we meant to gauge it at the bottom USED end hehe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re overthinking it tbh

worst case if you sold a £550 car to a total arse then refund and sell to one of the other 29 enquirers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

You’re overthinking it tbh

worst case if you sold a £550 car to a total arse then refund and sell to one of the other 29 enquirers

 

I know, I know totally agree. 1st chap just turned up... trader...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also dont be afraid to sell them for fair money A lot of good profits on these part exs. Double up on them a lot. £200 px, £10 romanian wash sold for £500 etc not to be sniffed at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Also dont be afraid to sell them for fair money A lot of good profits on these part exs. Double up on them a lot. £200 px, £10 romanian wash sold for £500 etc not to be sniffed at.

Yes the response has been somewhat overwhelming.... maybe to cheap. But at £995 are exceptions twice that of a £530 car?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chrishowie said:

Yes the response has been somewhat overwhelming.... maybe to cheap. But at £995 are exceptions twice that of a £530 car?

 

 

Who is responsible for setting a customers expectations on cars like this ? Answer - You. 

Promise the world they will be back. Being brutal, honest and saying you never want to see them again doing them a favour selling it to them with profit opportunity etc etc can mitigate that. Not everyone is out to screw you. Again be selective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rory RSC said:

Who is responsible for setting a customers expectations on cars like this ? Answer - You

My approach with cheapies that are still reasonably ok, is advertise them clearly stating part ex to clear, no warranty given.  They read that first.  Then when they come to look you tell them there are almost certainly a few issues with the car, but having driven it and given it a look over its still got some life left.  Tell them if you were to go through it with a fine toothcomb you will almost certainly find issues that outweigh the value of the car.  Keep their expectations low and realistic.

Also do a basic pdi report on them first, like a mini visual MOT and if you are not sure, note down things such as "brake pads may need changing" etc to cover yourself. Ideally MOT them but if a £495 car comes in with 8 months MOT you probably aren't going to bother. I always state that the car has not been mechanically checked in the workshop and clearly write on the PDi that you advise them to have the car inspected before use.  Also put it down as spares or repairs and get them to sign 2 copies, one for you and one for them.  

Beyond this, there isn't a lot more you can do.  Of course its all a bit of a risk, but as Rory says, not everyone is out to screw you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chrishowie said:

Yes the response has been somewhat overwhelming.... maybe to cheap. But at £995 are exceptions twice that of a £530 car?

 

 

Cheapies are easy to sell, it is just the potential liability.For instance this one where you have described the defective handbrake,that could be construed as an unroadworthy vehicle.So if you are a professional motor dealer and have sold it to a private buyer,you would have to make sure and be able to prove it was trailered away.If you did not and it was later involved in a fatal RTA ,the bottom line is you could be looking at being charged with corporate manslaughter.I have to say if I was starting out and not being a hard boiled long experienced trader,I would probably be taking the risk and retailing cheapies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not sold cheapies for a long time. Its not just the finances or potential aggro, its that I am not comfortable with a car leaving the premises without defects rectified and a fresh MoT.

You don't check a car and next day its involved in a serious accident due to mechanical defect. Where does that leave you and how do you feel?

If you do sell an unchecked cheapy please not to a youngster looking for a first car or a cash strapped young mum.  An older guy with grime under his nails is fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

I have not sold cheapies for a long time. Its not just the finances or potential aggro, its that I am not comfortable with a car leaving the premises without defects rectified and a fresh MoT.

You don't check a car and next day its involved in a serious accident due to mechanical defect. Where does that leave you and how do you feel?

If you do sell an unchecked cheapy please not to a youngster looking for a first car or a cash strapped young mum.  An older guy with grime under his nails is fair enough.

But the law actually states something very different. I once chucked them on ebay for £1 and see where they went but apparent come backs from ebay is okay and no longer an auction format! etc. Nightmare

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the banger PX’s, easy money. Just video them with a brutally honest description as trade disposal, no warranty implied or given.

The first customer who calls pays the deposit and confirms their understanding gets it..

Use a Lawgistics “unroadworthy invoice” for them to sign on collection and reiterate the above. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I love the banger PX’s, easy money. Just video them with a brutally honest description as trade disposal, no warranty implied or given.

The first customer who calls pays the deposit and confirms their understanding gets it..

Use a Lawgistics “unroadworthy invoice” for them to sign on collection and reiterate the above. 

As above. But DO NOT write on the invoice sold as seen, no warranty given or implied etc.

Basics checks to make sure the car is roadworthy, if in doubt re MOT it.

Brutal advert, choose customer carefully. Attach a copy of the advert to the invoice and get the customer to sign the advert.

Don't worry about comebacks. If turns out the punter has too high expectations refund and move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I love the banger PX’s, easy money. Just video them with a brutally honest description as trade disposal, no warranty implied or given.

Love the FB ads photographed on the back of a recovery truck, outside a traveller camp! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Who is responsible for setting a customers expectations on cars like this ? Answer - You. 

Promise the world they will be back. Being brutal, honest and saying you never want to see them again doing them a favour selling it to them with profit opportunity etc etc can mitigate that. Not everyone is out to screw you. Again be selective.

This is effectively it, in a nutshell.

I took a car in yesterday, scrap money but it's fine runs well and straight, will do someone a turn, it just has issues that are too costly to solve, no cool air when warm, cruise control, couple of odd noises etc but i'll give it a new ticket and if it passes, retail it out, with a description of the faults, qualify the person on the phone to make sure they have read the advert and if I hear words like "warranty" and "can my mechanic look it over" I'll tell them it isn't for them and move them along. You're not doing anyone a diservice by telling them the truth and you're keeping the right side of the law by selling a servicable vehicle. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wont send any p/x out that might get taken to a 3rd party and trading standards could get involved

i would rather put a pickaxe in the roof

absolutely too many charlies out there these days,usually failed mechanics who now drive buses with their bellies hanging out but they know better than you

avoid

let sanity over profit prevail

friend of mine got to the pearly gates and the guy with wings wanted to know what good deedes he had done in his life

friend pondered then remembered  in 1967 he helped his neighbour over the road,anything else the winged one said,yes said friend i once gave a begger sixpence,the winged one went to see a higher authority and the message came back that he was to give him his tanner back and tell him to go to  ell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the high prices that piss poor car seem to sell for at auction,maybe sell them through the block ? very little hassle for you and keeps your pitch from getting clogged up with low return headaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, the old novice said:

Given the high prices that piss poor car seem to sell for at auction,maybe sell them through the block ? very little hassle for you and keeps your pitch from getting clogged up with low return headaches.

This is what we do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We trade them sort of things to a face book warrior , i Hit the PX hard on price then stick £2/400 on top , he buys them off me and sells via facebook . no hits back to me and his warranty ends 10 secs down the road .

Win win 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this