James Baggott

Online only dealer Cazoo’s ambitious plans revealed

Recommended Posts

Probably the worst timing in the world to launch a car sales business. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I see they’re still offering (no contact) deliveries.*edit they’ve just withdrawn 
 

What’s everyone’s thoughts on such a thing? Yes, no, maybe?

Edited by NOACROSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

I see they’re still offering (no contact) deliveries.*edit they’ve just withdrawn 
 

What’s everyone’s thoughts on such a thing? Yes, no, maybe?

If in theory you had a locked unit and could allow a customer to turn up and be a completely safe distance and have the car paid in full and they gained their own access it would be safe.

 

If I went into work today, loaded the recovery truck with a sanitised car, delivered it and posted the key and never so much as set eyes on a customer I haven't put me, them or anyone else into danger.  

 

JD Sports are still going, online clothing shops are still going it might be a car but its not far off the same scenario. 

 

Personally I won't be doing anything until such times as someone actually wants to buy and not having the money will fold me then I will do what I need to do to protect my business. For the time being any deals paid in full can wait or deposits can hold cars til this is blown over. 

Ive never wanted the nation to toe the line more than now and just have this situation over and done with.

If a key worker needed a car I would be quite happy to make the relevant safe arrangements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The government are currently keen on promoting deliveries of any sort so I guess cars aren’t a problem from that point of view. 

However obviously the DSRs come into force & I’d hate to see cars being bounced back which, I these times, must be much more of a risk.

At the moment I suspect there’s only a handful of people in this country genuinely wanting to buy a car this week, although if this semi-lockdown carries on for months that will change. Normality will return.

I watched the CDM webcast with Lawgistics yesterday & as a purveyor at the cheaper end of the market I assume (with an eye on things improving sometime) if a customer purchases and sends a transporter to collect on their behalf then it is NOT a distance purchase as THEY have collected/arranged collection of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are getting loads of calls but mainly cancellations and customer service issues around deliveries and collections of lease cars, and more worryingly people finding out about terminating agreements. 

Only sales call sold a nearly new Tiguan to a previous customer who called up out of the blue.  Being delivered today but not to worried as they are an existing customer and the PX is a mint 2010 Tiguan 4M DSG done 80 (with the cambelt done at VW) and will owe £1600.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Contracts said:

but not to worried as they are an existing customer

But where or who has he been in contact with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the sale of cars is now restricted to only essential workers and they must be delivered.How far are you allowed to deliver without being regarded as irresponsible,5 miles ? We are 3 weeks behind Spain and in Mallorca right now if you are outside and not an essential worker,you must have a good reason.You can now be fined a lot of money as the threat of smaller fines has failed and the Army are now helping the Police on the streets.Should you have a contactless delivery sale to make ,I think you may have to cover yourself with a returns policy that circumvents a CRA 15 refund claim in the future........Good luck to everyone and stay healthy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He is leaving keys and paperwork on seat and we are posting keys.

Our drivers have got little packs of spray and cloths to wipe contact surfaces either end plus rubber gloves.

As for us working, nobody other than staff are allowed in the office and there are only 3 in working within different individual offices, no A/C allowed, no sharing communal areas.  Everyone else is at home as not much to do.

As for deliveries, we think we are allowed to do it, it’s only 30 miles and the driver won’t be stopping anywhere.

to be fair probably the only one we will be doing for the foreseeable.

Edited by Contracts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

breaking  = 

 online car dealer Cazoo announced  it has ceased car deliveries temporarily after initially continuing to take cars out to buyers.

Cazoo said it had set itself three guiding principles early in the COVID-19 crisis: keep employees safe and health; serve customers to the highest standards possible; and do whatever it can to stop or slow spread of the virus.

“We have now reached the point where we can no longer operate as normal for the time being and meet those three guiding principles. We will continue to take orders and resume deliveries when it is safe to do so for all concerned after the lockdown is lifted,” said London-based Cazoo’s statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see them selling 20000 cars in 3 months, i thought they had a stock of approx 2000 vehicles, something’s not right there and they certainly are not cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lazz said:

I can’t see them selling 20000 cars in 3 months, i thought they had a stock of approx 2000 vehicles, something’s not right there and they certainly are not cheap.

They’re hardly the first Billy Bullshitter in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

breaking  = 

 online car dealer Cazoo announced  it has ceased car deliveries temporarily after initially continuing to take cars out to buyers.

Cazoo said it had set itself three guiding principles early in the COVID-19 crisis: keep employees safe and health; serve customers to the highest standards possible; and do whatever it can to stop or slow spread of the virus.

“We have now reached the point where we can no longer operate as normal for the time being and meet those three guiding principles. We will continue to take orders and resume deliveries when it is safe to do so for all concerned after the lockdown is lifted,” said London-based Cazoo’s statement.

They did that due to getting a barrage of shit from more responsible car dealers from the facebook car dealer page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

They did that due to getting a barrage of shit from more responsible car dealers from the facebook car dealer page.

Let's be honest we are shut complying and working out our future and this business was playing the vulture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

They did that due to getting a barrage of shit from more responsible car dealers from the facebook car dealer page.

 

5 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Let's be honest we are shut complying and working out our future and this business was playing the vulture

Do both of you think it was the alleged power of Facebook shaming them? I could be wrong as usual but I suspect it more likely the total lack of sales at the moment twisted their arm.

Similar, but different. What are your views on a DA vendor openly advertising they’ll come in to make a trade sale because their workshop is open? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BHM said:

I could be wrong as usual but I suspect it more likely the total lack of sales at the moment twisted their arm.

Personally, I think this is more likely. The investors are faceless individuals driven by profit, not what people are saying about them on social media. I am sure it didn't help.

I for one am getting plenty of enquiries. I haven't responded to a single one because I think that is doing my bit for our health and economy long term.

The answerphone message does explain everything.

Still getting what is your best price for cash questions. I am not risking my health for a decent wage, let alone deal with bottom dollar offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BHM said:

 

Do both of you think it was the alleged power of Facebook shaming them? I could be wrong as usual but I suspect it more likely the total lack of sales at the moment twisted their arm ?

i agree, and they can furlough there staff, furlough, that's a new word we have learnt this week, i thought it was to do with horse racing [ furlong ? ] apparently, a furlong is 660 feet or 40 rods [ what drain rods ? ] or ten chains :lol:

first one to answer with what is 80% of 40 rods wins a great, sought after prize !

 

 

 

 

 

a toilet roll:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BHM said:

They’re hardly the first Billy Bullshitter in this game.

It is not a good sign when the chief financial officer who probably arrived by fanfare has suddenly left.Their press statement that they have raised another £100m from funders ( hard nosed venture capital guys ) because of their success to date could be just a smokescreen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Visit there website and it just keeps going back to home page, so much for taking

orders ?

ah ! but, i read the statement again and it says  =

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

We will continue to take orders and resume deliveries when it is safe to do so for all concerned after the lockdown is lifted,”

so, they are not taking orders ? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 9:31 PM, New year revolutions...... said:

I had a kazoo when I was a kid or a bazooka as I knew it

My parents took it off me in the end because all it did was make lots of noise but not actually achieve anything

Brilliant !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After pausing deliveries at the start of the coronavirus crisis, Cazoo has now restarted sales and deliveries.

Interesting to see a sales business operating in this current situation. Thoughts?

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/online-seller-cazoo-restarts-deliveries-targets-key-workers/190178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

After pausing deliveries at the start of the coronavirus crisis, Cazoo has now restarted sales and deliveries.

Interesting to see a sales business operating in this current situation. Thoughts?

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/online-seller-cazoo-restarts-deliveries-targets-key-workers/190178

I think you should limit it to one word to describe:

1) Irresponsible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are clearly justifying themselves by claiming to be focusing on NHS staff. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the news

So money comes before health

Who in their right mind is going to get a car s/hand car at this time and happily have it delivered

You would have to be mad,you have absolutely no idea where the cars been etc

A family member had acar come back from a major bodyshop a year back and it had been used as the works canteen

My wife had her car back from the bodyshop last year fully valeted,yes still full of side glass all over the floor in the back seats

Theres only one way to fully sanitise a car interior and that's to do it yourself so you know it's done properly

Hell I'm even leaving my shoes by the back door after my daily walk to make sure I'm safe

Cazoo you are mad

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.