Wheelerdealer1

Here’s how to avoid SOGA and make money selling cars

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, metcars said:

Back in the day I knew a couple of guys that had a little business buying main dealer px from one auction and driving them to sell in another with the stuff still on the screens. They got away with it for a while? Just out of interest was your friend ‘trade’ with a trade buyers account? And did your friend have a trade selling account too? Or did he just re enter as private seller?

I remember years ago watching people swap the main dealer direct stickers on to there private cars so the untrained eye would think they were part of the dealer group 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Case history involving a close friend proving private buyers at auctions have consumer rights.He bought a cheapie from the fleet section at our local BCA or ADT whatever it was called then.It had an engineers report on the screen.He then just reentered it in the next sale after paying for it without touching it.I often did the same.The same engineers report and vehicle description remained on the screen and the only difference was the lot no.It then sold and he made a small profit.A few days later BCA asked him permission to refund the private buyer and cancel the sale.He refused and Trading Standards then got involved,there was an independent inspection and the cheapie was declared unroadworthy.He was prosecuted and fined and with legal fees it cost him about £1500,a write up in the local paper and I don’t think he got the car back.

How does it relate to the OP? Specifically, the pertinent points are that's an auction, to private buyer, with an engineer's report.

For the OP its fixed price, to 'trade,' no engineer's report.

I suspect the engineer's report swung it in that case. (Or maybe I need to look at the details of SOGA! I'll stick to retail for now - and charge retail).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, metcars said:

Back in the day I knew a couple of guys that had a little business buying main dealer px from one auction and driving them to sell in another with the stuff still on the screens. They got away with it for a while? Just out of interest was your friend ‘trade’ with a trade buyers account? And did your friend have a trade selling account too? Or did he just re enter as private seller?

Yes he buys and sells at the auction with the same trading name.It will be on his BCA card.

42 minutes ago, Casper said:

I remember years ago watching people swap the main dealer direct stickers on to there private cars so the untrained eye would think they were part of the dealer group 

The problem doing that was you had to bung both the yard manager to line it up in the main dealer section and the auctioneer to turn a blind eye.

22 minutes ago, Paul C said:

How does it relate to the OP? Specifically, the pertinent points are that's an auction, to private buyer, with an engineer's report.

For the OP its fixed price, to 'trade,' no engineer's report.

I suspect the engineer's report swung it in that case. (Or maybe I need to look at the details of SOGA! I'll stick to retail for now - and charge retail).

It doesn’t, I was just recalling how Trading Standards treated a complaint from a ‘private buyer ‘at BCA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Yes he buys and sells at the auction with the same trading name.It will be on his BCA card.

The problem doing that was you had to bung both the yard manager to line it up in the main dealer section and the auctioneer to turn a blind eye.

It doesn’t, I was just recalling how Trading Standards treated a complaint from a ‘private buyer ‘at BCA.

Yeah these one just drove through in the normal sale order anyone buying them really would have to have been gullible .    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, New year revolutions...... said:

So to summarise 

Their feedback has been topped up with good reviews

They have no stock for sale

They are rude on the phone

And their other business is selling hoodies to wanabees

The stock has all been removed due to closing due to covid they normally have about 30 cars on there they still have some on the retail site  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casper said:

The stock has all been removed due to closing due to covid they normally have about 30 cars on there they still have some on the retail site  

Oh ok thanks

Still wouldn't use it though

I guess getting a brighthouse type loan there must help

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice try....but still BS in my opinion.

Not a lot different to writing 'Trade Sale' on an invoice. I wouldn't want to have to defend it in court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen they call it a Dutch auction, dropping the price until a buyer is found, which sounds pretty similar to how retail customers are found!
 

If a customer put a claim in, I have doubts they would ‘get away’ with it, but I imagine most would take them at their word that they have no rights and not bother trying, saving them a fair bit of hassle in the first place?

Just my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J.B said:

I’ve seen they call it a Dutch auction, dropping the price until a buyer is found, which sounds pretty similar to how retail customers are found!
 

If a customer put a claim in, I have doubts they would ‘get away’ with it, but I imagine most would take them at their word that they have no rights and not bother trying, saving them a fair bit of hassle in the first place?

Just my guess.

Im sure i seen that mentioned on his website at one time the dutch auction concept 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, J.B said:

If a customer put a claim in, I have doubts they would ‘get away’ with it, but I imagine most would take them at their word that they have no rights

Bang on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just noticed on his website "test drives are welcome at a cost of £10+vat for 15 minutes ON OUR PREMISES" and mentions you cant get this option at other auctions lol, he's got some front i'll give him that...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

just noticed on his website "test drives are welcome at a cost of £10+vat for 15 minutes ON OUR PREMISES" and mentions you cant get this option at other auctions lol, he's got some front i'll give him that...

I saw that too, next to the sign about buyers fees.. I’d be interested to see how much they are :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, J.B said:

I saw that too, next to the sign about buyers fees.. I’d be interested to see how much they are :blink:

Think its on there somewhere from memory  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

just noticed on his website "test drives are welcome at a cost of £10+vat for 15 minutes ON OUR PREMISES" and mentions you cant get this option at other auctions lol, he's got some front i'll give him that...

There might be some good business advice here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Let me think about that one

Well, if someone wants to give me £40 an hour for a test drive they can knock themselves out. Admittedly on my modest property they won’t get out of 1st gear but that’ll save worrying about noisy wheel bearings & dodgy brakes. Now where are them old Spares & Repairs disclaimers I used to use.......

Edited by BHM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BHM said:

Well, if someone wants to give me £40 an hour for a test drive they can knock themselves out. Admittedly on my modest property they won’t get out of 1st gear but that’ll save worrying about noisy wheel bearings & dodgy brakes. Now where are them old Spares & Repairs disclaimers I used to use.......

Sold as seen

I've sold it

You've seen it

Sign here..........................

Do you remember the 2 sheet warranty pads you could buy at the auction gates out of an old ransid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Sold as seen

I've sold it

You've seen it

Sign here..........................

Do you remember the 2 sheet warranty pads you could buy at the auction gates out of an old ransid

Yes i do was recalling that the other day . 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These sorts of business presentations that purport to be auctions and sign this that and the other will get come backs wont they .

Just imagine how many punters are actually put off complaining though by signing that trader document . 

Only get one or two back , just buy em back , sell em again , bob your uncle .

Its a numbers game for those types at the end of the day . 

Chap we know trades on the numbers game , he reckons on 20 % moaners , 80% of them go away after being shouted at he says  , the others he strings them out to dry till the pip squeaks then it only leaves one to buy back , they are that exhausted they take his offer of less than trade money . Sometimes giving back less than he paid for the pile in the first place , he thinks that's just hilarious .

He has that brash in your face personality , BUT I also blame his greedy customers who probably researched 1,00's of adverts and found out hes the cheapest . 

As for the guy selling on what might be or might not be an auction , fair play if it works I suppose . 

Only thing that gets me mad is selling stuff that don't work properly and isn't fixed , that gets us all tarred with the same brush at the end of the day , because all punters have fell for the lets buy this one because its cheaper and had their arse burned . 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i came across this video, and then realised i had seen this "dutch auction" on here !

honestly worth watching, not seen any of his other videos except one and i understand he works with his brother [ one of five] his dad does the retail selling, he does the buying, does not like selling, he says he has no stocking loans, and it seems, make your own mind up his auction cars are other dealers part exchanges, watch, enjoy, comment :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 9:25 PM, have a word with the wife said:

i came across this video, and then realised i had seen this "dutch auction" on here !

honestly worth watching, not seen any of his other videos except one and i understand he works with his brother [ one of five] his dad does the retail selling, he does the buying, does not like selling, he says he has no stocking loans, and it seems, make your own mind up his auction cars are other dealers part exchanges, watch, enjoy, comment :)

 

Great video! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t sign away your statutory rights as a consumer, that’s why they’re called  Statutory Rights. If the public choose not to enforce them that’s another thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Darkbluecars said:

You can’t sign away your statutory rights as a consumer, that’s why they’re called  Statutory Rights. If the public choose not to enforce them that’s another thing.

Spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not watching 17min of video but scanning through, he literally has signs stating 'BINCA RETAIL' on the walls

Therefore RETAIL rights should apply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.