Paul C

The Scrappage Scheme

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, awc1000 said:

It's not the problem you think it is, nor was it last time round, granted some gems were lost in the last scrappage scheme but the bulk of the swappers were tat, exactly how it was intended.

the only loss to the franchises were the sales managers who lost their bung money off the banger traders, it was 2k gov contribution and 1k from the manufacturer, the gov money only appearing after confirmation off collection by an appointed scrap dealer, hence nothing could go missing.

the only loss to the used car trade was the lads selling and relying on sub £1k shite, and they were not that bothered anyway as the supply of that stuff is constant anyway.

if the scheme comes back it will be good news for franchises ,and good news for proper used car dealers selling decent £2-3k cars who have it hard competing with cowboys selling un-prepped sub £1500 junk.

as for the lost gems, well last time they really were few and far between, it certainly wasn't the great mint older car cull that people imagined or presumed happened, the only shock was how many folks with £200 cars who were in the market for a new motor.....

if you are worried about another scheme and your stock profile is all sub £1k sold as seen tat then you are either a busy fool or need to find a new career.

But i'm agreeing with you here. Why would you use a £2k scrappage scheme to get rid of a car that is worth more than £2k?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

It's not the problem you think it is, nor was it last time round, granted some gems were lost in the last scrappage scheme but the bulk of the swappers were tat, exactly how it was intended.

the only loss to the franchises were the sales managers who lost their bung money off the banger traders, it was 2k gov contribution and 1k from the manufacturer, the gov money only appearing after confirmation off collection by an appointed scrap dealer, hence nothing could go missing.

the only loss to the used car trade was the lads selling and relying on sub £1k shite, and they were not that bothered anyway as the supply of that stuff is constant anyway.

if the scheme comes back it will be good news for franchises ,and good news for proper used car dealers selling decent £2-3k cars who have it hard competing with cowboys selling un-prepped sub £1500 junk.

as for the lost gems, well last time they really were few and far between, it certainly wasn't the great mint older car cull that people imagined or presumed happened, the only shock was how many folks with £200 cars who were in the market for a new motor.....

if you are worried about another scheme and your stock profile is all sub £1k sold as seen tat then you are either a busy fool or need to find a new career.

i gave up worrying about "schemes" years ago, in all my years i have  learn to adapt, to any scenario, on the front line, the complete journey from initial purchase right through to removing the sale board and shaking the customers hand, if the scheme does not come in, then it very possibly  be a very good thing, there are too many car dealers having it easy, bloated and looking through there glass window, a clean sweep will get rid of them.

i believe you are trying to button hole me as a facebook trader, and i find that quite offensive to be honest, it seems on here lately that you put a opinion and give your years of experience and get knocked for it, why do i bother ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

unlikely, or in that case it makes your assumption on the type of customers even more ridiculous, 

i'll quote you - every make:D mainly from retirees:D buying their last car:D, that type of customer did not even amount to 5%, your starting to embarrass yourself.

any idea what the franchises opinion on the latest banded around scheme is? i would be interested to know your thoughts on it and how you know, if it makes sense i'll even give you my thoughts - based on being in daily contact with many franchises up and down the country.

I'm really not interested in your little life stood under the rostrum thinking you are mr big buyer,you are a gofer

 with your little toys and your silly little babble of friends

I've spent my life avoiding your sort

Edited by New year revolutions......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Boycie said:

But i'm agreeing with you here. Why would you use a £2k scrappage scheme to get rid of a car that is worth more than £2k?

 

Edited by have a word with the wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

But i'm agreeing with you here. Why would you use a £2k scrappage scheme to get rid of a car that is worth more than £2k?

exactly, thank you.

just to confirm the last scheme cars were mostly sub £1k shitters that the customer got £3k for in swap.

 

7 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I'm really not interested in your little life stood under the rostrum thinking you are mr big buyer,you are a gofer

 with your little toys and your silly little babble of friends

I've spent my life avoiding your sort

clueless, you cant even grasp what a trade buyer / franchise underwriter is, iv'e had no need to stand in an auction for 20+ years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Boycie said:

So just to clear it up, it was only able to bring in the Congestion Charge, which would gain it revenue, by getting Government funding? That makes sense.

 

There is nothing to 'clear up'. I wrote in plain English that tfl only got the government money by agreeing to congestion charge reintroduction and CHANGES proposed by the government.  

Full details here....http://www.infrastructure-intelligence.com/article/may-2020/tfl-£16bn-funding-package-described-‘sticking-plaster’-mayor-london

Other conditions are that government representatives will sit on TfL's board, so it becomes in effect a direct instrument of government.

Edited by Halfpenny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, awc1000 said:

It's not the problem you think it is, nor was it last time round, granted some gems were lost in the last scrappage scheme but the bulk of the swappers were tat, exactly how it was intended.

the only loss to the franchises were the sales managers who lost their bung money off the banger traders, it was 2k gov contribution and 1k from the manufacturer, the gov money only appearing after confirmation off collection by an appointed scrap dealer, hence nothing could go missing.

the only loss to the used car trade was the lads selling and relying on sub £1k shite, and they were not that bothered anyway as the supply of that stuff is constant anyway.

if the scheme comes back it will be good news for franchises ,and good news for proper used car dealers selling decent £2-3k cars who have it hard competing with cowboys selling un-prepped sub £1500 junk.

as for the lost gems, well last time they really were few and far between, it certainly wasn't the great mint older car cull that people imagined or presumed happened, the only shock was how many folks with £200 cars who were in the market for a new motor.....

if you are worried about another scheme and your stock profile is all sub £1k sold as seen tat then you are either a busy fool or need to find a new career.

At the time of the last scheme I was at my previous premises - used car sales and servicing/MoT.  On the service side we definitely lost a few customers thanks to scrappage. There were plenty of good older low mileage cars taken off the road. Mainly cars driven by older 'careful' types who didn't cover a lot of miles.

I don't like scrappage at all because (as described in the article) it is effectively an indirect transfer of government funds to car makers. Since most of the manufacturers who would benefit are overseas (e.g. Korea, Japan, EU) its not going to benefit UK plc very much.  As to supporting the Franchises - well IMHO the UK Franchised Dealer model was broken well before Covid.  The 'Spanish Practices' going on in a lot of dealer networks are unconscionable and the best way to clean up would be allow them to collapse and allow new ownership/management in.

From an environmental perspective scrappage removes an older car which (generally) is not being used much (not causing much overall pollution) and requires the manufacture of a new car with all the attendant pollution, use of resources and materials etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, awc1000 said:

exactly, thank you.

just to confirm the last scheme cars were mostly sub £1k shitters that the customer got £3k for in swap.

 

clueless, you cant even grasp what a trade buyer / franchise underwriter is, iv'e had no need to stand in an auction for 20+ years.

 

Out of interest,in the distant past,I used to underwrite stuff from franchised dealers.It was getting out of hand,all these sales managers having to be wined and dined and the bungs were getting rediculous.You would be constantly underwriting stuff including the crap and only getting a few good ones.The sales managers would often trade the best stuff you had valued out the back door for a higher bung.Sometimes they they got caught out and sacked but their replacements were often more bent,so I used auctions from then on.
Fast forward 30 years and the bungs must be far worse.I know someone who still underwrites,he also swaps quality heavy stuff with over age stock to make the sales manager look like a hero.The last time I saw him,he was also complaining about the current price of bungs !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the last scheme and many cars which were on the verge of becoming classics were scrapped. It was painful.

Its a bit like saying "the swimming gala was a success, only a few children drowned".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a totally selfish point of vIew I hope the government does not do a scrapage scheme, the market I am in, it is detrimental to my own business and I was around during the last scrapage scheme and it did cost me business.

A lot of franchises are zombie business and maybe some of them should be allowed to fold and then hopefully the ones left will have a more profitable and sustainable business, we are maybe seeing this now with manufactors culling franchises.

with the exception of grant I have had recently just like lots of others nobody has come running to my rescue when the going gets tough and I have worked through a couple of recessions already not including the one that's hitting/hit us now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I'm really not interested in your little life stood under the rostrum thinking you are mr big buyer,you are a gofer

 with your little toys and your silly little babble of friends

I've spent my life avoiding your sort

'Babble', i've never heard the expression before. I had to look it up.

I seem to recall that you are avoiding everyone at the moment????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The recent article suggesting a scrappage scheme for new and used, seems a little optimistic (the suggestion did come from the IMDA though). It would only help those would could afford a new (to them) car, after all. I sense if the government did any kind of economic incentive scheme, they're going to be wanting to target a much broader cross section of business and the general public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Paul C said:

The recent article suggesting a scrappage scheme for new and used, seems a little optimistic (the suggestion did come from the IMDA though). It would only help those would could afford a new (to them) car, after all. I sense if the government did any kind of economic incentive scheme, they're going to be wanting to target a much broader cross section of business and the general public.

vat decrease (temporarily say 6 months)

it's the only way to add stimulus across all boards of business

we are free to set the rate once december comes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, agree. But if won't be quite yet, they'll wait until the time is right. I predict "shopping madness" on June 15th and they'll fear a second spike in cases etc. So, back end of the summer probably.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petrol head said:

We have had a self funded scrappage scheme for years, it's called the MOT :D

sorry govt has put that on hold

one now has to tell customers their cars are uneconomical to repair,get them off them for peanuts and sell them to stashio:huh:

link here

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

sorry govt has put that on hold

one now has to tell customers their cars are uneconomical to repair,get them off them for peanuts and sell them to stashio:huh:

link here

 

Good point, be back to normal soon I’m sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 7:13 PM, New year revolutions...... said:

vat decrease (temporarily say 6 months)

it's the only way to add stimulus across all boards of business

we are free to set the rate once december comes

I like the idea of VAT free on EV's mainly as I want a one but not at 27k @ 20k they offer better value. 6k scrappage can't see it working who has 30k for an EV with a 1-2k car? oh me but that's mainly as MY VW UP is my golf car :-)  

Ev's are way over priced UP ev 20k you must be stupid buying one. onwards futures bright :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 8:10 AM, OneCarefulOwner said:

I like the idea of VAT free on EV's mainly as I want a one but not at 27k @ 20k they offer better value. 6k scrappage can't see it working who has 30k for an EV with a 1-2k car? oh me but that's mainly as MY VW UP is my golf car :-)  

Ev's are way over priced UP ev 20k you must be stupid buying one. onwards futures bright :-) 

The 'cost price' isn't too important nowadays bar informing the nieghbours.

The amount of 'buyers' dropping anything over a small dipper on new EV's or IC's is pitiful, the VAST majority are strapped up on lease, PCP et al.

I want a 'fully functional' EV too but, maybe not in my lifetime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.